Need some input on a concert

I have three kids (son is 14, daughter 1 is almost 12, daughter 2 is 9) thhe girls are very mature for their age.

I am wondering if they are too young to go to a concert? The Black Eyed Peas and Pussycat Dolls are playing at a local venue. It is outdoors.

My question...some of the lyrics are less than wholesome, but it is also not like they have not heard the songs on the radio.

I am thinking of getting like 8 tickets and letting each kid pick a friend and then recruiting one of the moms to go along with me as a chaperone--to be the designated bathrom runner--would never let the girls go alone at that age at a concert.

So...too young? OK?

I remember seeing my first concert at 11 or 12, and they are all pretty into music.

I don't think they're too young, IMO, and it's cool that you're going along with them. One thing stood out about your post, though, regarding the less than wholesome lyrics and your kids hearing it on the radio. :D I'm not sure you're aware, but the radio version of one of BEP's well known songs has "Let's get it started in here, Let's get it started in here" but the album version--and what they'll more than likely play at the concert--says "Let's get retarded in here, let's get retarded in here."

If that's not an issue, though, then rock on. :cool:

• Author

I know that--and the My Humps song tends to be edited on the radio and so forth, but hell, these kids have heard worse and I figure any "oooh she said a bad word" will be lost in the experience.

kitten chick

I went to my first concert at 10 years old and look how great I turned out to be. :lmao: Seriously though, the youngest probably has no idea what these songs mean. At that age I was dancing around to all sorts of Madonna and Cindi Lauper songs and had no idea that it was really about sex and masturbation and teen pregnancy. I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

whichwayisup

I think the fact that you are going with them is your answer. It will be fun for them too, to bring a friend (good idea!) so it's not like they're "just" hanging out with Dad. (No offense...)

What they'll see Live is no worse than what they've seen and heard on MTV or at school. Maybe your youngest may feel abit weird about it, but throw in the fact her friend will be there, I'm sure it won't be a big deal.

You could just prepare them for it, that they'll hear afew inappropriate words and not to be shocked by it.

When I was a kid my folks always played "HAIR" and I had NO clue wtf the meanings of the songs were...Kinda got some weird glances from people when I would sing 'em though! hehe!

I know that--and the My Humps song tends to be edited on the radio and so forth, but hell, these kids have heard worse and I figure any "oooh she said a bad word" will be lost in the experience.

I think it's a great idea as long as you are going along...

I know that song seems a bit over the top, but it's not as though we can shelter them forever...

It does give us an opportunity to have open conversations about sexual situations when more explicit music comes on the radio...

Actually, in secret I think that song is awesome and fun to listen to, but I don't tell them that... Black Eyed Peas would be fun to see in concert!!!

RecordProducer

The idea of taking a few more friends and somebody's mom is great. That way they will feel like they just happen to be at the same place with you - the adults! :D

However, I think you just want to take some kid's mom on a date! ;) I bet you already have in mind who that would be and the concert is just your excuse. :p

(make sure you don't forget your kids while ... waiting in the car with Miss Mom! :laugh: )

• Author

Nah--all their moms are married! And mom and I will be in there---hey I can lust after Fergie too you know! But I want a woman seriously so she can do the bathroom runs if needed---the crowd and the public bathroom scene at a concert is my concern.

Will talk to a mommy in the carpool line this afternoon!

you are such a cool daddy ~ I think your kids are going to really enjoy this, especially since you're doing this as part of a casual family outing. One of my penpals returned the favor and took HER parents to go see Paul McCartney as an early Christmas gift, and she said they loved it.

---the crowd and the public bathroom scene at a concert is my concern.

so what will you do if the people seated next to you start smoking reefer?

kitten chick
so what will you do if the people seated next to you start smoking reefer?

At a black eyed peas concert? Doubtful that will be prevalent there. Just teens and dudes trying to conjure up more fantasies of Fergie.

• Author

Reefer? Ask them to meet me in the bathroom and share or I call the cops?

I agree, what a great dad. Take them an have fun. My Nana used to take us to concerts when we were young, yep never too old for anything huh. anywayz we absolutely loved it and we never had a clue about the lyrics, mind you they weren't as explicit as they are today. Kids just don't read into it as much as we do. Or is that just in my part of the world... :D

I went to my first concert when i was about 9 or 10.

RecordProducer

933, make sure you don't give your kids a bad example and they end up carrying you to the car while you're passed out! :D