Parents of abused children

Marleymo

When my son was 6 he was invited to spend the night at his paternal grandfather's house with his half-brother (who was 15 at the time). My husband died so I trusted his family with my son. My little guy spent the night and I knew something was wrong - mother's instint. Next day when I picked him up he looked terrified and when we got back home he immediately told me his half-brother made attempts to molest him. My son was brave enough to fight back but he sat up all night terrified. His half brother made threats if he told.

When I found out my heart sank - I was horrified and immediately called the police and had them come out. My son gave a statement and the police said they had no doubts about him telling the truth - he was too accurate and graphic about what happened. I pressed charges. My late husband's family tried to talk me out of it - then they threatened me that I had forced my son to make up lies because I disliked my late husband's exwife.

Needless to say it went all the way to court and my son's half brother was charged with molesting a child and is on the National Sex Offender Registry. I have never spoken to those people since and will never forgive them or allow my son to ever see them again. They disgust me for allowing this to happen and then trying to protect the molester.

My son is now 13 and has no trauma or problems from this incident. He was brave enough to tell me and the police what happened and had the support of the police department as well as children's advocates and the court system brought justice to the situation. He knows this happens alot in this day and age and he knows he did nothing wrong.

Any child of any kind of abuse needs support and reassurance from and adult, the police and the courts. It's sad very few children report abuse as they are too scared. That is where I did my job as a parent in teaching my child at an early age that it's not right for older people to hurt children and to report it and tell no matter what.

I wasn't scared of these people - I was a mad mom from hell when I found out about this and these people till this day are scared to death of me. I will kill anyone who tries to hurt my child - it took alot to keep me from killing my son's half brother. I much more enjoy seeing his photo and name on the Sex Offender Registry. He's paying the price for being a pervert for the rest of his life.

When a child is being abused TAKE ACTION - make noise and bring the abuser(s) to justice.