Mom Brag plus Question about Toddler Speech

TheRainbow

My eighteen-month-old daughter to date has been the one who has hit every milestone on time or above average. She had her 18 months check-up, and vaccinations and her doctor says she is above average in receptive and expressive language. I guess I didn't realize since my eldest had a slight delay in speech so I just assumed she was where she needed to be. But anyway my 18 months old can understand simple instructions and speak at least 50 words and several 2 - 3 words phrases. I guess my question is at 18 months old how was your child's language.

Non existant for both. One had a disability. The other really didn't start talking till she was nearly four and turned out smart and sociable.

My four kids all over the place, it part due to challenging circumstances at two of their births.

Two grandkids both super advanced, in part because my son and DIL fanatical about limiting screen time. As a result, lots of reading, talking and word-based games.

I get a little sad when I see parents fall into the TV/iPad as babysitter trap...

Mr. Lucky

MuddyFootprints

My kids spoke and read early. Kid One spoke full sentences by two. We incorporated screen time early. Not like today, but we definitely used it. The kids could all read by grade one. We spent a lot of time with books too. Language and communication is a strength in all our kids. Stereotypically, my son has the stronger math skills. He also took to music really well.

My four kids all over the place, it part due to challenging circumstances at two of their births.

Two grandkids both super advanced, in part because my son and DIL fanatical about limiting screen time. As a result, lots of reading, talking and word-based games.

I get a little sad when I see parents fall into the TV/iPad as babysitter trap...

Mr. Lucky

I'm the same. I don't allow any screen time unless it's schoolwork or when we see a movie together.

My daughter was also quite advanced for her age, at two years old she was already speaking in simple sentences of three words or more and she was understood almost completely.

She did go to a daycare from the time she was 6 months old so she had a ton of interaction with other kids and was able to practice talking a lot.

I taught my kids ASL starting at 6months.

Were were having full conversations long before they spoke a first word.

At 2 years old they knew 1000 words of ASL. None of my 3 are deaf. The non verbal skills and spoken language that came with age made all three of them excel in basic learning metrics.

Today they are still under 10 years old and considered "genuis" level. I assure you they are not. They are however, fluent in communication and can understand much more than spoken languages for interacting with adults and kids alike. This strong language center in their brains has made learning easy and fun for them so for anything in life they find an interest in, they will read it, study it, absorb it, reflect on it and retain it.

The more they learn the more they notice things to become interested in and this compounding interest in the world makes all the difference.

GorillaTheater

My kids have mostly stopped eating dirt and bugs in the back yard. It helps that the youngest are teens now.

• Like 3
CautiouslyOptimistic
My eighteen-month-old daughter to date has been the one who has hit every milestone on time or above average. She had her 18 months check-up, and vaccinations and her doctor says she is above average in receptive and expressive language. I guess I didn't realize since my eldest had a slight delay in speech so I just assumed she was where she needed to be. But anyway my 18 months old can understand simple instructions and speak at least 50 words and several 2 - 3 words phrases. I guess my question is at 18 months old how was your child's language.

My daughter was about 18 months old when she first said "Hi Mom" and I think that was her first and probably only two-word phrase at that point, but she had a lot of single words.

My son only said "ick" and "ack" until he was 28 months old, then started talking in sentences.

major_merrick

My older daughter is ten months old now. She had her first word at about 9 months, and has maybe 5 words right now. All English, unless you count "mama" which is the same in Russian. She's going to be learning English, Spanish, and some Russian, so I'm expecting initial vocabulary to be a bit slower but with a better long-term outcome. Obviously, my newborns twins are at the "sleep all day and make noise when awake" stage.

Just make sure your kids are listening to the language you actually want them to pick up. My first English word when I was a toddler was, apparently, "Dammit." :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter grew up in a French/English household. She could pronounce words separately but she was closed to 3 before she put a sentence together. The doctor at the time told me to not worry as often children growing up with more than 1 language will speak later. At 3 she suddenly spoke fluently 2 languages with no accent. Relax, Einstein started speaking at 6. I would not worry about an 18 month old speech.

• Like 1