Just reflecting

noelle303

My daughter is 8 years old today.

The day I found out I was pregnant, I was so horrified that I went out with my girlfriends to a club and got drunk to escape reality.

I was 20 years old, a full-time college student, involed in an extremely messy relationship with her father. My life was turned completely upside down in those first few weeks after finding out I was pregnant and I'd be lying if I said I felt joy or happiness at the time.

I lived alone and went through my pregnancy by myself, took care of her by myself, every night feed was on me, every diaper that needed changing was on me, every single daycare drop-off and pick-up was on me, every single tantrum I had to handle. I was going to school and work and barely got more than 4 hours of sleep a night for years and that is if I was lucky.

Looking back on it, I don't know how I managed to get through it.

And then today, we got up super early in the morning, in our own house, I prepared a little birthday surprise gift for her and we had her birthday pancakes at the table together, talking and laughing. I dropped her off at school with treats for her classmates and went to work. And this weekend we are having a huge birthday party.

And I can't imagine that from all that mess that happened when I found out that I was pregnant, I got to this. A great job, a beautiful home, an amazing and happy child. If only someone had shown me the future back then so I would know that everything was going to be this good. If only someone had shown me this when I was plowing forward with a small baby stressing out about how I'm going to get everything done in time.

And if only someone had shown me her and how wonderful she's going to turn out and how beautiful she's going to be, both inside and out.

I guess every mom gets emotional when they see their kid growing up, but I think the reflection is hitting me especially hard due to the way it all began.

Do you guys have any special birthdays when it hit you?

• Like 2
Do you guys have any special birthdays when it hit you?

Not so much a birthday buy a very cool happenstance.

Was recently moving a cabinet of my late MIL's dishes and possessions and found behind it a 25-year old box of home movies I'd forgotten we had. Didn't tell my wife until I had them burned to DVD's and then surprised her with "movie night" of these long lost videos. There were birthdays, first steps, outings and family gatherings, including both sets of our late parents. More than a few tears were shed watching these old films.

I do wish I'd taken more time back then to enjoy the moment. Hope you appreciate every day with your daughter, it goes by quick :) ...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2

Was recently moving a cabinet of my late MIL's dishes and possessions and found behind it a 25-year old box of home movies I'd forgotten we had. Didn't tell my wife until I had them burned to DVD's and then surprised her with "movie night" of these long lost videos. There were birthdays, first steps, outings and family gatherings, including both sets of our late parents. More than a few tears were shed watching these old films.

That is a most amazing gift!

It's great to be able to look back at where we have come from with gratefulness. I'm excited for you and your daughter. Enjoy every second you have! Blessings!

• Like 1
  • Author
Not so much a birthday buy a very cool happenstance.

I do wish I'd taken more time back then to enjoy the moment. Hope you appreciate every day with your daughter, it goes by quick :) ...

Mr. Lucky

That's so nice! I sometimes catch myself watching old pictures and videos and I just can't believe how grown up she is. From a baby who doesn't know where her nose is, to a an actual little person who I have conversations with.

It really does go by so fast!

• Like 1