Baby in NICU born just shy of 28 weeks

TheRainbow

My previous thread can be found here for context:

https://www.loveshack.org/forums/mind-body-soul/sexual-reproductive-health-practices/pregnancy/670267-could-stress-cause-early-contractions

She was born on December 18 2018 at 27 weeks 5 days 14.5 inches and 2 pounds 7 ounces.

Today she 2 weeks 2 days old (30 weeks gestation) and she is 2 pounds 12 oz. She is currently on 14cc (14ml) every 2 hours. Tomorrow they are going to increase it to 16cc (16ml) every 2 hours. She is on CPAP for breathing, and in isolette until she is able to regulate her own body temperature.

Aw she’s so tiny. My daughter came early but fortunately only had to be in NICU for ten days. My water broke but I was so early I didn’t realize it so her lungs did get to develop on their own. Her body temperature was what kept her in.

Your daughter is gaining weight, that’s a great sign!

She was born on December 18 2018 at 27 weeks 5 days 14.5 inches and 2 pounds 7 ounces.

My now adult son was born at 29 weeks, similar length and weight. A lot less technology then, he was 5 months in the NICU before we could bring him home. My wife quit her job and basically lived at the hospital, I also spent every available minute there. Most all the news from doctors was bad, including future prognosis. We just took it one day at a time.

Today he's a 31-yr old, 6ft tall young man. Still skinny as a rail but a healthy, well-adjusted adult. Just love her, be there for her and keep believing. Things have a way of working out on their own. Hoping for the best for both of you...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
littleblackheart

My first born was born 10 weeks early because I had pre-ecclampsia. 4 weeks in NICU for him, 10 days in intensive care for me. Breastfed him as soon as I felt better. He had the obligatory jaundice and a pneumothorax within 3 days of being born.

I looked after him for 16 months at home. He is now 12 and a half and thriving in every possible way.

I hope you have someone looking after you (she already has you) - these times are quite stressful so make the most of any opportunity for help and support.

• Author
My first born was born 10 weeks early because I had pre-ecclampsia. 4 weeks in NICU for him, 10 days in intensive care for me. Breastfed him as soon as I felt better. He had the obligatory jaundice and a pneumothorax within 3 days of being born.

I looked after him for 16 months at home. He is now 12 and a half and thriving in every possible way.

I hope you have someone looking after you (she already has you) - these times are quite stressful so make the most of any opportunity for help and support.

Thanks :) My husband took off six weeks of paid paternity leave. So I have some support. He's been helping lots with our older two and keeping everyone and everything from falling apart. But unfortunately, they think she likely won't be able to go home before my original due date.

littleblackheart
Thanks :) My husband took off six weeks of paid paternity leave. So I have some support. He's been helping lots with our older two and keeping everyone and everything from falling apart. But unfortunately, they think she likely won't be able to go home before my original due date.

Good to hear you have support :).

They said that to me too about being discharged on the original due date (I think it's policy). He got discharged early anyway, because he was doing well - off CPAP by week 2, in an open air incubator by week 3, breastfed through drip by day 7, properly breastfed by week 3 with a nipple shield, every couple of hours or so.

ExH was of no help whatsoever but thankfully my mother and sisters were of huge help.

Not so easy to have them home early though - baby had got tired a week after being discharged and his heart rate dropped so dramatically he had to be airborne to the next hospital. He (and I!) spent a couple of night there and all was fine after that. Quite scary at the time, though!

The upside is that he now tells the story to get the girls to swoon over him nowadays and it works great!

You'll need to get naps whenever you can - it'll be intense for the next few weeks!

But unfortunately, they think she likely won't be able to go home before my original due date.

That's very typical for extreme premies. Just take it day by day, and try to keep the faith. This too shall pass... The care has improved so much for these kiddos, there are so many really good outcomes these days. It doesnt change the fact that the NICU experience is still a very traumatic and stressful experience for all.

That's very typical for extreme premies. Just take it day by day, and try to keep the faith. This too shall pass... The care has improved so much for these kiddos, there are so many really good outcomes these days. It doesnt change the fact that the NICU experience is still a very traumatic and stressful experience for all.

Yep, I had a preemie too, and he ended up having to stay in the hospital past his due date. He's also married with kids of his own now, lol. My water broke early but I didn't immediately go into labor so I had time to get the steroid shots so that his lungs could develop and he was born able to breathe on his own.

Good luck to you and your precious tiny bundle of joy. She will be home before you know it.

• Author

So they increased it to 16cc every 2 hours. The new plan is 2cc (2ml) increase every 2 hours, every 72 hours until she reaches 30cc(1oz) every two hours. So if there is no complications by 33 weeks gestation (one month actual age) the increases will be a little more frequent.

• Author

They are doing testing on her :( She once again is having an increase in heart rate after each feeding, and it just happened when they increased her from 14cc to 16cc. So She'll stay at 16cc until they have an answer.

littleblackheart
They are doing testing on her :( She once again is having an increase in heart rate after each feeding, and it just happened when they increased her from 14cc to 16cc. So She'll stay at 16cc until they have an answer.

Having a premature baby is a super stressful journey - I completely empathise and relate. Mine had some ups and downs too, and so have all the other preemies in our time there. It's not smooth sailing for sure, especially on the nerves.

I remember those times in NICU like it was yesterday - the twice-weekly weigh-ins, the weekly vitamin injections to the heel, the noise of the CPAP machine, but mostly the overwelming feeling of helplessness.

Don't feel guilty about taking a breather from it - our consultant pediatrician actually booked me and my mother a table at a nearby pizzeria and insisted I took some time out from the hospital as soon as I got back on my feet. I wasn't very mobile for the first 5 days and was obsessed with expressing milk; I was constantly by his side - I used to ask the nurses to wheel me to him in the middle of the night and it was really tiring me out, which wasn't really a good thing.

Well, this lunch was everything at that point. It was good to be doing something nice away from everything. I hope you take the time to do that, too.

You have to believe that she's in good hands, and she has you to watch over her.

• Author

Thanks. Overall she is doing all right. It's the only setback so far. SHe hasn't had any infections or low blood sugar, and they are talking about in a week or two, starting to wean her off CPAP.

• Author

She is still at 16ml every 2 hours. She is 2 pounds 14 oz. It's frustrating because she isn't gaining weight as fast as they would like. I really have nothing else to add but she isn't tolerating more than 16ml, so that is where she'll stay, but they may start feeding her more frequent rather then in volume. She is 3 weeks old..

• Like 1

I had thought babies generally drop weight initially. She may just be overly stressed out. Imagine how you’d be going from a cozy, safe womb to a stark place where there’s commotion, probing and beeping all around you, not to mention the excessive crying and worrying in the air.

I just hope she gets to come home soon.

xo

• Author
I had thought babies generally drop weight initially. She may just be overly stressed out. Imagine how you’d be going from a cozy, safe womb to a stark place where there’s commotion, probing and beeping all around you, not to mention the excessive crying and worrying in the air.

I just hope she gets to come home soon.

xo

She had dropped weight initially. I know she's in a good place but doesn't make it easier, when they tell you what the plan is, and something comes up, and you really have no idea what tomorrow will bring. Both my husband and I look forward to holding her each day. I know he is not looking forward to going back to work at the beginning of February when his paternity runs out.

• Author
I really hope she comes home before he has to go back. Could his leave be extended?

She, unfortunately, won't be home before he has to go back. She is about 31 weeks gestation-adjusted age. So I'll be lucky if she goes home by the end of next month.

I’m so sorry for what you and family are going through right now. Just try to stay positive as hard as that is. Given the lengthy timeline I wouldn’t be getting that hung up on the day to day. I know the doctors want her to reach certain milestones by a specific time but she’s going to go at her own pace. She may not be there today but she may just get there tomorrow.

All that hoping and getting disappointed only to be relieved again has to be exhausting.

• Author

She finally reached 3 pounds late last night. They successfully upped her feedings to 20ml every two hours, in the last five days, before she started not being able to tolerate it. It is the same issues as before. I've tried changes in my diet, to see if that makes a difference. It's puzzling them. Otherwise, she is making improvements.

• Like 4

Congratulations! My prayers are with you and your family. My great niece was born at 23 weeks of gestation and today she is a very healthy 7 year old.