Life change - best to keep kids on routine?

Surfer Joe

Quick question.

My ex-wife just broke up with her bf of just over 2 years. He was not a good guy. He was not kind to our 2 children - especially singling out my 8-year-old son. This is definitely a change for the best.

He moved out on Sunday. It was my ex's weekend. I hung out with the kids for a few hours while the drama went down and then took them back. They have been with her since then.

I get them back tonight and this coming weekend is my weekend. The normal schedule is that I would have them tonight and then I'd take them back by her tomorrow and then they'd come back by me on Thursday and I'd have them until Monday morning.

We had talked about me having them on Wednesday night to make up for an extra night she had during the summer.

I'm just thinking/wondering if it might be best to keep them to the normal routine in light of what has happened. I talked to her today just about how they were doing and she said the kids were way less anxious than they had been while he was around and I know that the process of transitioning to a more normal environment at her house will take time.

I'm okay with just following the normal routine and letting them stay with her tomorrow. Sure, I'd love to have them an extra night, but I'm more than willing/happy to do what is best for them. My gut says it's a good idea. Anyone have any advice or thoughts? Thanks!

Edited by Surfer Joe
Sure, I'd love to have them an extra night, but I'm more than willing/happy to do what is best for them. My gut says it's a good idea. Anyone have any advice or thoughts? Thanks!

I'd offer to go with your gut, and do what feels best for your children. (You can always make-up the extra night at some future point...the Christmas holidays are just around the corner. ;).)

Also wish to say that yours is a very heart-warming post. I love to hear from and about parents like you! Thanks for that. :love:

• Like 1
  • Author
I'd offer to go with your gut, and do what feels best for your children. (You can always make-up the extra night at some future point...the Christmas holidays are just around the corner. ;).)

Also wish to say that yours is a very heart-warming post. I love to hear from and about parents like you! Thanks for that. :love:

I was thinking the same thing about just making the night up a little later down the road. We didn't have anything really planned for tomorrow night - just a chill evening at home.

It feels like things are changing for the better at my ex's house and that makes me happy.

We didn't have anything really planned for tomorrow night - just a chill evening at home.

An even better reason to "save" the night and plan something fun in the near future. Hopefully your ex doesn't go the second chance or rebound route...

Mr. Lucky