What languages should I teach my daughter?

major_merrick

My daughter is five days old...I want to start things off right. I know that children who grow up with more languages spoken around them are more likely to be bilingual or multilingual. Given that this world is coming closer together, I want to make sure she has a better chance at thriving in a multicultural environment.

We have multiple languages spoken in our household. Everyone speaks English, but my husband's first two wives speak fluent Spanish. He speaks some Spanish also, so I'm pretty sure that Spanish as a second language is the best idea. Besides, the other children are growing up speaking Spanish. But what about a third language? French, German, Vietnamese, and Russian are the possibilities. Which is most useful?

But what about a third language? French, German, Vietnamese, and Russian are the possibilities. Which is most useful?

Well, the Chinese will be ruling the world in 20 years so Mandarin would be a good choice

• Like 1

English and Spanish are great, especially since those languages are familiar in your household. Any language would be beneficial because they all teach something. How do you plan to teach her if you don't speak the language - learn with her?

I made sure my son took Spanish in school and he's pretty fluent in it. He's an adult now and, for Christmas, he asked me to get him some CD's for learning Portuguese. He says the Rosetta Stone CD's are the best, that they teach in a way that makes learning easy.

It's fantastic to learn unusual languages but the more common ones, like French, Italian, German, Russian, Mandarin, would be very useful. I suppose it's just a matter of preference.

• Author
English and Spanish are great, especially since those languages are familiar in your household. Any language would be beneficial because they all teach something. How do you plan to teach her if you don't speak the language - learn with her?

I'm actually pretty terrible at language learning. I learned Russian as a child from my family, but I found it impossible to read or write it. I learned a bit of German from my family, and more in school, but I'm not fluent. One of my exes spoke Japanese, and when I tried to learn some from her in order to bond with her during the relationship, it was a total failure. So, for Russian, it would be up to me....I don't speak it anymore except for with my sister. German could be shared between me, my husband, and my father-in-law. My mother-in-law speaks French. Our friend who lives in our home is Vietnamese. Of course, my daughter is going to grow up around all of these people, so she'll get some just through living, but I would like to be intentional.

Mandarin....that would be useful, but we have almost no resources for that, sadly.

I'm actually pretty terrible at language learning. I learned Russian as a child from my family, but I found it impossible to read or write it. I learned a bit of German from my family, and more in school, but I'm not fluent. One of my exes spoke Japanese, and when I tried to learn some from her in order to bond with her during the relationship, it was a total failure. So, for Russian, it would be up to me....I don't speak it anymore except for with my sister. German could be shared between me, my husband, and my father-in-law. My mother-in-law speaks French. Our friend who lives in our home is Vietnamese. Of course, my daughter is going to grow up around all of these people, so she'll get some just through living, but I would like to be intentional.

Mandarin....that would be useful, but we have almost no resources for that, sadly.

My son has learnt Mandarin and Cantonese, via you tube. He's picked up a lot of Filipino now too, from his workmates.

I think if you’re going to teach her, you’re going to need to have an understanding or aptitude for learning and teaching language. The thing is, if your daughter learns a couple of languages when she’s young, she’s likely to have an interest in other languages and can take several years of it in school.

If you just want her to pick up some basic conversation skills, then it really doesn’t matter how early she learns the language. If you want her to be *truly* bilingual, then you shouldn’t pick a language that is completely different from English like Chinese. Most of the people who are considered bilingual in English and Chinese are very inadequate in one or both of the languages (yes, there’re plenty of people without a single first language).

French is the language spoken on the most continents.

I took French for four years in high school and I haven't used it since. If I had to do it over again I would have taken Spanish.

• Like 1

Well, my daugher started learning French in preschool, she's continued with it when she started school and is actually almost fluent.

I am also hoping that she picks up German when we move to Switzerland in a year.

To be honest, I didn't give it too much thought as to what language precisely should she learn and which one will benefit her the most. Bilingualism has many benefits - for example, there's some proof that it stimulates cognitive and intellectual development. So I just knew that I wanted her to be bilingual and I chose French cause that's the one offered in most schools.

P.S. Congrats!

It depends on where you want your daughter to go, but if she is young, certainly that isn't a set in stone consideration yet.

Consider the following map of languages:

Proportional Map of the World's Largest Languages | Mental Floss

I am an interpreter in Spanish and French, and these languages are super useful.

I can help get you started in Mandarin if you so choose because that's my original language. There are plenty of online classes if you are interested in formal tutoring.

I would go for the hardest one first if you are trying to grab the opportunity when young peeps are most open to learning new languages. Learning Mandarin Chinese is tough as hell, but it can be done. It will make her skills in photographic memory/ memorization pretty awesome. Spanish is the most useful language for those currently living in the US.

• Author
It depends on where you want your daughter to go, but if she is young, certainly that isn't a set in stone consideration yet.

Consider the following map of languages:

Proportional Map of the World's Largest Languages | Mental Floss

I am an interpreter in Spanish and French, and these languages are super useful.

I can help get you started in Mandarin if you so choose because that's my original language. There are plenty of online classes if you are interested in formal tutoring.

I would go for the hardest one first if you are trying to grab the opportunity when young peeps are most open to learning new languages. Learning Mandarin Chinese is tough as hell, but it can be done. It will make her skills in photographic memory/ memorization pretty awesome. Spanish is the most useful language for those currently living in the US.

Interesting map. It seems like French isn't very useful outside of France anymore. And since most of Western Europe is being overrun by migrants these days, I'm kind of doubting that France and Germany will be keeping their culture for very long. Mandarin just isn't all that possible for us - I'm trying to see what is the best 3rd language out of what is spoken at my house. So....I'm going with Russian, which is the easiest one for me.

Where we live, the big second language is Spanish. There really is no third. I think a third language is for business or possibly another country to run away to if this one totally falls apart....

Yeh French is useful in a few countries in West Africa, and France/ Belgium/ Luxembourg/ Switzerland/ Quebec.

Why Russian? It is only spoken in Russia and a couple of old USSR countries as a second language. Russian is quite a bit harder than English I think.

I took French for four years in high school and I haven't used it since. If I had to do it over again I would have taken Spanish.

It depends where you live. If you're an American then learn Spanish as your Spanish speaking population is about to reach 40%. If you're Canadian then you must learn French as it's an official language here and being bilingual English/French will give you access to the best jobs in private an public industries.

Babbel has always been fake news....

Seriously though,

Most places you go, people have a smattering of English and usually not French.

Try ordering Pie and chips in French, in Albania.....

Que veux-tu? Qu'est-ce que tu veux? (But they never say that)

While it's true that English is by far the most widely spread one, French is also one of the official languages of the European Union.

So I would say that it's quite useful for international business. I had a few experiences at work where my French was quite useful.

• Like 1
While it's true that English is by far the most widely spread one, French is also one of the official languages of the European Union.

So I would say that it's quite useful for international business. I had a few experiences at work where my French was quite useful.

Any language is useful.

But i remember news items about french diplomats conducting everything in french and no one having a clue! And french MEPs walking out as everyone was debating in English.

I`m sure it`s good in Algeria though......

j'aime acheter ce ballon de plage et ce seau orange (Essential for the beach)

Babbel has always been fake news....

Seriously though,

Most places you go, people have a smattering of English and usually not French.

Try ordering Pie and chips in French, in Albania.....

Que veux-tu? Qu'est-ce que tu veux? (But they never say that)

Try to order it in Mandarin, yet mandarin is the most spoken language in the world!

A 2nd or 3rd language has to serve a purpose. How much will it serve you to speak Mandarin or Russian? French is spoken on 5 continents and is a very important language in the world its presence is everywhere, and it's the official language of many many organization including the Olympics.

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/french-foreign-policy/francophony-and-the-french-language/the-status-of-french-in-the-world/

Try to order it in Mandarin, yet mandarin is the most spoken language in the world!

A 2nd or 3rd language has to serve a purpose. How much will it serve you to speak Mandarin or Russian? French is spoken on 5 continents and is a very important language in the world its presence is everywhere, and it's the official language of many many organization including the Olympics.

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/french-foreign-policy/francophony-and-the-french-language/the-status-of-french-in-the-world/

Only because there are billions of Chinese people and Madarin is mainly spoken in China and it`s hinterland.

I agree, French may be the official language of loads of things but then why do they always revert to English in most of those offical things?

Because no one speaks enough French to undertand that Usain Bolt has broken another world record.

Tour de France is another one. Officially in French, but all the riders are interviewed in English and the French channel provides French subtitles......

I understand, it possibly hurts a bit but it`s not really a big deal. I love to try to use my French, but sadly in France it`s met with disdain. But i keep trying.

I usually put on a black beret, complete with roll neck and light a ciggie and make chit chat with the person i`m buying my Pain au chocolat, from.

They always look at me as if i`d ordered a dead rat.

Not always....

Sometimes it becomes something wonderfull.

On the chance she might want to become a rich businesswoman someday, teach her Chinese. Lots of money to be made by executives who speak Chinese since it's kind of the world trade capital.

• Like 1
Only because there are billions of Chinese people and Madarin is mainly spoken in China and it`s hinterland.

I agree, French may be the official language of loads of things but then why do they always revert to English in most of those offical things?

Because no one speaks enough French to undertand that Usain Bolt has broken another world record.

Tour de France is another one. Officially in French, but all the riders are interviewed in English and the French channel provides French subtitles......

I understand, it possibly hurts a bit but it`s not really a big deal. I love to try to use my French, but sadly in France it`s met with disdain. But i keep trying.

I usually put on a black beret, complete with roll neck and light a ciggie and make chit chat with the person i`m buying my Pain au chocolat, from.

They always look at me as if i`d ordered a dead rat.

Not always....

Sometimes it becomes something wonderfull.

You're missing the point here.

OP's child will speak English and Spanish, she is looking for a 3rd language. Of course the entire world revolves around English, I am not debating that. We're offering suggestion for a good 3rd language.

On the chance she might want to become a rich businesswoman someday, teach her Chinese. Lots of money to be made by executives who speak Chinese since it's kind of the world trade capital.

Doesn't mean it will be the same in 25 years. I have been working with Chinese for 15 years and none of them had to use their native language so far. I speak English, French and if I had to pick another one it would be Spanish. With these 3 languages I can do business around the world.