LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Familial > Parenting

Why do most teen couples who have a baby together will most likely break up?

Parenting Discuss tips, concerns, and all the mayhem involved in raising kids.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2018, 3:55 PM   #1

Why do most teen couples who have a baby together will most likely break up?

All of my friends who had a baby while they were still in high school ended up breaking up with their baby's mother or father during high school or after high school.

It always seem like whenever a teenage couple have a baby together when they are still teenagers, they are very likely to break up with each other sometime in the future. Why is that?
SuperHeroMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2018, 5:13 PM   #2
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHeroMan View Post
All of my friends who had a baby while they were still in high school ended up breaking up with their baby's mother or father during high school or after high school.

It always seem like whenever a teenage couple have a baby together when they are still teenagers, they are very likely to break up with each other sometime in the future. Why is that?
For the same reason that teen couples who don't have a baby mostly break up: because they are still learning and growing and working out who they are and what they want to be.

My teenage boyfriends would be totally unsuitable for me now because I'm a completely different person.
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2018, 12:14 AM   #3
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil67 View Post
For the same reason that teen couples who don't have a baby mostly break up: because they are still learning and growing and working out who they are and what they want to be.
And add an infant into that mix, chances are almost zero. If it means the custodial parent has to move back in with the folks, the break-up is probably best for the child. With teenage parents, it really does take a village...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2018, 5:08 AM   #4
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil67 View Post

My teenage boyfriends would be totally unsuitable for me now because I'm a completely different person.
And to add a neuroscience overlay to this... the prefrontal cortex responsible for higher-level reasoning isn't fully developed until the mid-20s. We are literally still 'cookie dough' - to quote BTVS - until our brain is fully developed.

Without a strong imperative to stay and grow together into maturity - such as religiosity, conservative values, extraordinary maturity, etc - people won't. BTW, marriage prior to 25 yo is actually a high predictor of divorce.
SolG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2018, 5:40 AM   #5
Established Member

Because most of them are barely qualified to care for a pet rock let alone another human being.