Potty training a 2 YO boy

PhillyLibertyBelle

PhillyLibertyBelle

I’m going to be babysitting a 2.5 year old for a few days. He just started potty training. Any parents have any tips so I can be better informed?

Thanks!

this sounds tacky, but something my mom was successful with, with my oldest nephew, was to encourage him to pee outside behind a tree, if he had to go, but couldn't get inside fast enough. Yes, we are from a small town :laugh::laugh:

but! It helped him learn to control his bladder, by being mindful of when he needed to pee, yet gave him a good alternative if he couldn't go inside. I don't remember so much the indoor training, other than telling him we were proud of him when he did use the potty.

• Like 1
  • Author
PhillyLibertyBelle
this sounds tacky, but something my mom was successful with, with my oldest nephew, was to encourage him to pee outside behind a tree, if he had to go, but couldn't get inside fast enough. Yes, we are from a small town :laugh::laugh:

but! It helped him learn to control his bladder, by being mindful of when he needed to pee, yet gave him a good alternative if he couldn't go inside. I don't remember so much the indoor training, other than telling him we were proud of him when he did use the potty.

There are plenty of trees and privacy for a pee, he’s still in diapers mostly but I think I just want to make sure I know the signs when he wants to. Is it helpful to ask him if he wants to?

CautiouslyOptimistic
There are plenty of trees and privacy for a pee, he’s still in diapers mostly but I think I just want to make sure I know the signs when he wants to. Is it helpful to ask him if he wants to?

Yes, ask often :). Like every 30 minutes or so. Make a big deal about it when he goes. Perhaps reward with M&Ms :). I'm surprised they aren't just waiting until after their trip (or whatever it is) to start this process.

Also, kids often won't poop in the potty until after they are completely pee trained....something about it scares them, so I would not expect him to poop in the potty!

• Like 3
I’m going to be babysitting a 2.5 year old for a few days. He just started potty training. Any parents have any tips so I can be better informed?

Thanks!

You are very brave!

My advice is to continue the words and routine set up by the parents. Consistency is key.

• Like 1

yes to what both the others said: Continue as parents have started out with training, and definitely reward. I've even heard of people making games of peeing in the potty when it comes to boys ... toss 2-3 cheerios in the toilet, then tell him to make it sink! :laugh::laugh:

• Like 2
CautiouslyOptimistic

You'll be the parents' favorite person in the world until the end of time if you have this kid potty trained by the end of his time with you :lmao:. And it is possible (for pee anyway) with potty boot camp :).

My ex-H (for as terrible as he was as a husband, he was a pretty good dad) actually potty trained both of our kids in weekend potty boot camps. (One girl, one boy). This was done because I'm too much of a pushover when it comes to my kids, and he's much more tough, so he would not give in to pleas for a diaper. I went away for the weekend to my mom's house, and he set up "camp" for the weekend. He pumped them full of liquids (apple juice) and the only thing on the agenda for the weekend(s) was to constantly put them on the potty (because they constantly had to pee from all of the juice). (Side note: juice should only be served sparingly to children because the sugar is not good for their teeth ;) )

It worked, both times. By the time I got home they were pretty much potty trained. My son still needed pull-ups at night until he was almost 6 because he was a very deep sleeper, but the only "extra help" my daughter needed was to be allowed to poop in a diaper until one day, when we were at the beach on vacation, I sat with her for about 2 hours in the bathroom, while she was crying her eyes out sitting on the toilet, begging me for a diaper to poop in, and I just kept calmly saying "no" while I continued to read my book, and she finally just pooped on the potty, realized it was not that scary, and that was that! She was trained :).

• Like 2
  • Author
PhillyLibertyBelle

Thanks for all the advice everyone. This little one is the child of a single mom who is bipolar and she’s going in the hospital for a few days or a week to get her medication adjusted. Grandpa has been doing most of the caring lately but he has to work so I got asked as the most responsible person around. I’m going to do all I can to help but I don’t know if mom’s in a great place to ask about routine so I will buck up my courage and ask Grandpa what the routine is so far.

I love all the ideas and will ask a lot and I’ve prepared the house for “accidents” as I have hardwood floors and have taken up all the area rugs. Will definitely use diapers at night!

whichwayisup

Potty treats! When he goes, he gets a special treat, whether it be a few cheesies or chocolates.

Ask him on occasion if he has to pee or poo and to let you know as soon as he feels it coming on.

• Like 1
  • Author
PhillyLibertyBelle

Thanks to all for your wonderful suggestions. I’m loaded up with Cheerios, m&m’s, a good book, pull up diapers, and lots of your wonderful help. I think he wants to try, because when I have looked after him 2 weeks ago he looked at the toilet and said “potty”!

Wish me luck ?

• Like 2
amaysngrace

Pull up diapers aren't good because they confuse the toddler by feeling like a diaper. He should be in big boy pants if you want him trained quickly. Also, no beverages after dinner and make him go before bedtime.

If you want to put a diaper on him at bedtime go ahead but he's going to be happy in the morning to change back into big boy pants.

Give him a bunch of encouragement and praise if his morning diaper is dry and take him straight to the bathroom to go.

Good luck!

• Like 1
We sunk a Cheerio!

lol that's awesome!

I might be too late now, but I wouldn't even ask him. I used to set a kitchen timer for every hour and when it would ding I'd say, ok potty time! and that was it. :)

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic
We have a bad new phrase “No Poo in Potty!”

:lmao::lmao::lmao: Expected! :)

• Like 1
We have a bad new phrase “No Poo in Potty!”

I'm helping train three year old triplets (all girls).

We like to yell 'bye bye pee pee! (or poo)', as we flush. :lmao::lmao:

• Like 1
  • Author
PhillyLibertyBelle
:lmao::lmao::lmao: Expected! :)

Need more advice! Don’t leave me! He likes to try to hide behind furniture when it’s poo time!

• Author
PhillyLibertyBelle
I'm helping train three year old triplets (all girls).

We like to yell 'bye bye pee pee! (or poo)', as we flush. :lmao::lmao:

I’ll try anything!

• Like 1
Need more advice! Don’t leave me! He likes to try to hide behind furniture when it’s poo time!

That's funny - my little brother used to do that. Maybe it's a boy thing?

Are you using any type of reward system?

We have a big bowl of coins (mixed). When someone pees or poops in the potty, she gets to select a 'potty coin', and put it in her piggy bank.

• Author
PhillyLibertyBelle
That's funny - my little brother used to do that. Maybe it's a boy thing?

Are you using any type of reward system?

We have a big bowl of coins (mixed). When someone pees or poops in the potty, she gets to select a 'potty coin', and put it in her piggy bank.

M&M’s, coins and a dvd of a construction site that’s 10 minutes then off. It’s literally just a dvd of guys working on construction sites. Hahahahaha boys!