Let's say I wanted kids?

I don't want kids right now, maybe never. Let's say though I wanted kids in the future, I have major depression and most of you all know I have aspergers. Would my kids inherit those traits from me? because I wouldn't want my son or daughter having to deal with it everyday. My point is can depression and aspergers be genetic?

littleblackheart

Brad, having ASD doesn't need to be this big issue, and it doesn't need to limit what you can do.

I too have ASD (Aspergers) and a totally 'normal' life by most people's standards. I constantly push myself out of my comfort zone but have also found some balance so I won't force myself to conform or fit into other people's standards. The most tiring thing I have found about having ASD is facing stereotypes, ignorance and judgement - hence my constantly acting as an ASD advocate on LS!

I have a good job, I'm totally independent, I drive, I have solid friendships, I'm highly educated and I have 2 great kids. One is NT, one isn't. They are both equally as bright and as awesome as each other. They have a lovely relationship with each other and the three of us have a bond no one will ever break.

I have also found being a parent to be the most eye-opening learning curve in terms of understanding how NTs and society in general work. Honestly, it's not that bad.

If you do decide to have kids and if one of them happens to be ASD, they'll have you to guide them through the maze. That's already a great starting point!