LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Familial > Parenting

I donít think I love my daughter


Parenting Discuss tips, concerns, and all the mayhem involved in raising kids.

Like Tree114Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th February 2018, 7:16 PM   #31
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool frank View Post
Iíve had her every weekend since she was old enough to not need her mom. When she was first born I stayed with them to help. I tried to get her mom to be my girlfriend and she didnít want me. So, I went home.

Mom parties on the weekends, doesnít work. When she does go to her little preschool thing, she takes her. I picked her up once when she was sick.

Theyíve been calling asking to come over because apparently she made me a valentine and wants to give it to me. I donít even want them here. So I havenít responded.
That gives a clearer picture of the situation. Sorry again OP, for jumping the gun.

Do you still have feelings for your daughter's mother? Maybe you're projecting your past hurt onto her, unconscienciously?
littleblackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 7:22 PM   #32
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 150
Youíve got 9 years until your child is a teen and then she wonít want to spend any time with you anyway. You see her 8 days out of the month, can you really not just act like you care for 2 days a week? You should be able to pretend to care for the scant amount of time that you spend with herÖ4 year olds arenít that hard to fool.

Try renegotiating the visitation so that you have her a couple nights out of the week so that you have every other weekend free.

She didnít ask to be conceived, but you willingly had sex with the knowledge that condoms arenít 100%.

Was it during your visitation when she almost drowned? Did it happen because you werenít paying attention because you donít care about her? Iím surprised her mother ever let you have her again after thatÖmaybe her mother doesnít love her either. Do her grandparents want to spend time with her? Can you drop her off with your parents when you have visitation, or let your parents spend a few hours with her if you want to go to a party?

I realize that you don't care about her, but be very careful about your adult friends that you allow to be around her. Don't let anyone be alone with her. Pedophiles exist, hopefully you have enough humanity to not want that to happen to her even if you don't love her.

Just suck it up for a few days a month until she's a teen and you'll have the rest of your life to be free.

Sorry if this post is harsh, but the way you're treating your daughter is worse.
Yosemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 8:18 PM   #33
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 1,294
I get the feeling the mom may just want you to babysit the daughter on weekends so that she can get out partying. I think you need to get an attorney to split the weekends and maybe you can see you one night during the week?
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 9:03 PM   #34
Established Member
 
todreaminblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: down under
Posts: 14,705
op im really glad you came back and had this thread reopened it might seem selfish of me...believe me when i say ....your thread bought quite a few tears ....it gives me a chance of some closure

im going to appeal to your heart from a grandparents point of view...i have three two sixers and an eight year old boy...two of them i dont see anymore .....which broke my heart.....but i gave an ultimatum to the mother and the mothers parents when the mother abandoned them with me for four days she had removed them from school and they werent attending... so she could party and sleep with randoms while they sat and watched tv in the loungeroom...my grandkids were at risk.... ....if she didnt move in with them and get their support i was calling child services....and going for custody...her parents begged me not to that they would take them in and the mother would get the help she needed....im happy to report that they are in school in a country town with the mum under care and the kids they are safe.and i am in contact with the other set of grandparents.......which leaves me to my other granddaughter..same situation ...i enforced again my guardianship and grandparent rights to protect her....keep her safe....i have partial custody and i would have no hesitation if i felt it necessary to take full custody.....my daughter will not fight my decisions

heres where i want to appeal to your heart...

step up brother...please step up to the plate...put your own selfishness aside ...your desires....your wants...and take full responsibility for who you are now....which is a dad....you might not want to have been a dad..tough you are...and from what you have written you could be a good one...you have standards ...you are willing to discipline..go easy on the spanking and make disciplining consistent with real love.........as far as the mum goes ......

you need free time......set custody up so that allows you to have time alone....time to adjust time to recharge and develop real father skills.....time to socialise....every parent needs that......enlist the grandparents support..if you need to.......i do feel you can love your daughter as she should be loved...stop calling her a snot for starters ....she is part of you...if she is as you say a snot she gets it from her parents...its either she gets it from you or its because she doesnt get what she needs from you..so you change your behaviors.....

the mother needs to step up to and not say ....no you have to take her she is in love with you...she isnt "in love" with you....she loves you.....and children can love many people....you have to want to accept responsibility...please do .....be honest always with the mum of your daughter... how you feel ....

the world is becoming nations of grandparents raising grandchildren because parents are feeling entitled......to abandon their children ...the father of my granddaughter is a mess ...parties all the time..takes drugs.....is an alcoholic and its woe is me for him.....he never got over his mum dying....my son the father of my other grandchildren is in goal because he tried to go up and see them...stole a car on ice........he is fried on drugs

i have had word ...that inmates are saying he is almost a vegetable in there cant even speak proper english.....shuffling around like an old man i pray to god i can get help with docs and meds for his brain to heal so he can be the dad he is supposed to be....

and i have to tell you...i have three adult children on drugs and yes..two of them young women the dad my ex.... abandoned as young girls...... history repeats...

now i need to say do you see what you do will affect generations do you see its not all about you.....please....do whats right....please....find the love op....find it and hold on to it...there's support out there for you and for your child....don't be ashamed to ask for help........seek it out ...get the mum to do it too...parenting classes...counsellors do it all.......be the best parent you can be ...consistently...and always.....adn one day down the track when you are old and feeble it may be your daughters and daughters daughters eyes you just cant wait to see when she comes to visit you when you have no one else that does......generations op ...you are just one ripple...make it count..i will have prayers for you and your daughter and the mum...i wish for you.....strength and a compassionate heart to do what you really know is right to do....deb
__________________
in the ache of night,luminous prayers take fragile flight,
somewhere between battalions of warring sins,
there exists hope and love for peace begins...deb

Last edited by todreaminblue; 14th February 2018 at 9:10 PM..
todreaminblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 12:52 AM   #35
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 32
From what little I've read it seems OP does care about his dauhgter he just needs to grow up and it sounds like the mom is putting a lot on him and he's misdirecting his frustration. From what I skimmed OP and I'm just warning you if you cut your daughter out of your life you might end up hating yourself years down the road. You might find her annoying irritating but for all you know if she's out of your life you'll likely start missing her.

Take it from a guy whose dad was around for the weekends and slowly drifted in and out your daughter will be screwed up if you cut her out of your life and she will hate you for it. She will wonder if it is her fault your not around and then she will hate herself and years will pass and she'll hate you and it won't matter if you try making an amends the sight of you alone will make her blood boil. So think about if you want your daughter to hate you before you make a decision to not be in her life.

Last edited by MrCongeniality; 15th February 2018 at 12:56 AM..
MrCongeniality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 1:02 AM   #36
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCongeniality View Post
From what little I've read it seems OP does care about his dauhgter he just needs to grow up and it sounds like the mom is putting a lot on him and he's misdirecting his frustration. From what I skimmed OP and I'm just warning you if you cut your daughter out of your life you might end up hating yourself years down the road. You might find her annoying irritating but for all you know if she's out of your life you'll likely start missing her.
I agree and have thought this, too, Mr. C!

True love for a person is doing what is in their best interest and the fact that it bothers OP that his daughter is a "little snot," as I believe he put it, to me shows caring and concern. One way to help your child get along in the world is to recognize things they do that are annoying to you because those same things will be annoying to others. Then you can figure out ways to help them do differently. That's why it would be good for OP to see a counselor about this, because he recognizes a need in the child to do better. Nothing wrong with noticing that need.

Also, I have grandchildren who can be annoying at times, too. I'm crazy about them. But, when they're annoying I don't much enjoy being around them. Thankfully, I've reared children so know how to cope with it but OP, you may need some tips on how to cope.

The fact that you've been there every weekend to take care of her says much to me and I noticed that when she almost drowned you wanted to cuddle her afterwards.

Seems to me one of your main problems in this is that you never get a free weekend and that's not right, imo. I believe if you could get visitation relegated to every other weekend and get with a counselor about the rest you would begin to find ways of learning to appreciate and like your daughter. The child's mother really needs to step up to the plate, imo, and do some weekend parenting a couple weekends a month!

Please take some action to do these two things! You'll be so much happier and so will your daughter.
LivingWaterPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 1:04 AM   #37
Established Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: 8,885 feet above sea level
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by todreaminblue View Post
your post is so full of thought so insightful so just ...so just.so caring..its on repeat from me..wonderful post...deb
Thank you deb.

This is a really tough situation. As much as I want to slap the snot out of the OP and call him all sorts of names, I have to give him credit for wrestling with the situation and seeking advice. Truth be told - he's in a crappy situation and has the introspection to seek counsel. I am not entirely sure how I would react if this is happened to me at 24.

There are no easy solutions for the OP unless he miraculously decides to embrace fatherhood and bond with his daughter. You can't fake that. It either happens or it doesn't. My heart breaks for everyone involved
__________________
2014 No Contact Guide
Mrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 1:09 AM   #38
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,480
Agree with most other posters.

You're a young guy and you need some free weekends to yourself. The mom can't force every weekend on you. As others have said, offer every second weekend and one night during the week. I think that if you get a little break you might come to realize that you do care for your daughter and that you would miss her if she was completely gone from your life.
anika99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 10:02 AM   #39
Established Member
 
CautiouslyOptimistic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 4,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneL View Post
I get the feeling the mom may just want you to babysit the daughter on weekends so that she can get out partying. I think you need to get an attorney to split the weekends and maybe you can see you one night during the week?
Yeah, this makes me even sadder. This little girl doesn't have either parent making her a priority .
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 3:02 PM   #40
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimariah View Post
whew, she sure was!

kids are not a thing that you can put aside, on hold, while you're growing up.



actually - that is the recommended MINIMUM.

every other weekend and two weeks in summer are not nearly enough time to make a real connection with a child - you're not being a parent with that little time, just a guest in your child's life. NORMAL custody looks a couple of times a week, every other weekend, half of summer and other holidays. and that's a STRETCH because 50% of the time is what most a child most benefits from, according to science.

if he doesn't feel like being a father and doesn't love his daughter - he should let go and the mother should address it with the court and take his parental rights away. that way she protects both herself and her child from a Dad of the Year bouncing back, years later, with a new mommy in hand - ready to suddenly play family and push the real mother out. and usually, it's a success - i've seen it play out so many times; mothers/fathers care for their kids alone only to lose primary custody because the deadbeat parent married into a good house.

when the daughter is an adult, she can make the decision about her relationship with the OP herself.


I just meant in my state it is usually what is started out with.


That was my DH custody order at first when the child was a baby. When my DH came back into the child's life at 6 we had every other weekend, and almost the full summer. By the time my stepchild was 11 we had the child 50% of the time & later the child lived with us full time. I know a child cannot be set aside till someone grows up. I did not know my DH those years, but I am so grateful that he did grow up & the love was there he was just selfish & didn't realize it because of immaturity. My DH regrets his choices he made when he was younger & is so grateful that he was given a second chance. He has had actually had many talks with my step child over the years and apologized for his selfishness and immaturityI am just saying because he doesn't "feel" it now doesn't mean it isn't there.
Globug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 5:26 PM   #41
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool frank View Post
Theyíve been calling asking to come over because apparently she made me a valentine and wants to give it to me. I donít even want them here. So I havenít responded.
Did you get the Valentine? It would have taken 30 mins tops. Is that really too much effort to make?

Do you feel at all guilty about the way you treat your own daughter? The only way this makes sense to me is if your parents treated you the same way when you were growing up...is this how you were treated?
Yosemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 1:41 AM   #42
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
Did you get the Valentine? It would have taken 30 mins tops. Is that really too much effort to make?

Do you feel at all guilty about the way you treat your own daughter? The only way this makes sense to me is if your parents treated you the same way when you were growing up...is this how you were treated?
Yes, I got the valentine. She called and ask if she could bring it to me so I said yes. Then they brought it and her mom gave me a present to give her. Then we watched a movie.

Do I subconsciously treat her the way I do because I hate her mom? Maybe. She crushed my heart and ruined my life.
Cool frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 2:40 AM   #43
Established Member
 
Happy Lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sunny Southwest
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool frank View Post
Do I subconsciously treat her the way I do because I hate her mom? Maybe.
Let me ask you a hypothetical question...

If you could have full custody of your daughter and you would never have see the mom again, would you do it??
__________________
All of my posts are my opinion based on my own experiences. Feel Free to disagree with me, this rodent has thick skin.
Happy Lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 4:13 AM   #44
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool frank View Post
Do I subconsciously treat her the way I do because I hate her mom? Maybe. She crushed my heart and ruined my life.
It’s not subconscious if you know all about it and can articulate it. That makes it a choice. A choice which reveals a lot about you and your character. Especially since you avoid the question of how you were treated as a child which leads me to believe that your childhood was perfectly normal. For you to do this to your daughter when it isn’t a subconscious repetition of learned behavior, but is an active choice, just makes you sound amoral and dead inside.

People have told you in this thread that you need to grow up…playing the victim that she didn’t get an abortion and therefore ruined your life is what they’re referring to. Do you know how many people walking around are the result of an unintended pregnancy? 40% of births are from unintended pregnancies according to the CDC. Why are you having a 4 year long pity party about sex resulting in a baby while very other decent person takes responsibility for their actions?

Did you ever discuss an unintended pregnancy or abortion before having sex with her? Somehow I doubt it. So, it seems pretty clear that you “ruined” your own life.

Did you actually use a condom or did you think that she would stay with you if you got her pregnant? You might as well tell the truth…did you think that you could turn a fling into a longterm relationship by getting her pregnant? I’m willing to bet that’s what happened and that’s why you’re so pissed about having to take care of your daughter, your plan didn't work.

BTW, you’re not punishing her mom, you’re punishing your daughter. It’s not your daughter’s fault that her mom doesn‘t want to be with you. And to be honest, if she’s a normal, emotionally-healthy woman, the worse you treat your daughter, the less she would ever consider a relationship with you.

She doesn’t want to be with you and now you’re going on a 4 year long pout about it. Get over yourself, people break up every day, a break-up is not a reason to treat your child poorly.

Quote:
her mom gave me a present to give her.
Perfect. Is this who you want to be? Come on, OP, it's time step up and do what you know is right. Stop punishing your daughter for your decisions.

Last edited by Yosemite; 16th February 2018 at 4:15 AM..
Yosemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 5:43 AM   #45
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool frank View Post
Yes, I got the valentine. She called and ask if she could bring it to me so I said yes. Then they brought it and her mom gave me a present to give her. Then we watched a movie.

Do I subconsciously treat her the way I do because I hate her mom? Maybe. She crushed my heart and ruined my life.
This is also what I get from your posts - you're making your daughter pay for what your ex did to you. This is a little immature but you can learn to be a good co-parent to your daughter as opposed to using her as your ticket to get back with her mother - which is why you are accommodating her all w/e, I think.

Don't use your kid as a pawn. Your ex made it clear she doesn't want you back, and it's also very clear you can be a good father to your little one. Detach yourself emotionally from your ex; I know it's difficult but it can be done.

It's not your little one's fault.

Last edited by littleblackheart; 16th February 2018 at 5:48 AM..
littleblackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wants me to love his daughter lacoqueta Dating 167 2nd August 2014 6:29 PM
I think I may love my friends daughter MOOSEJONAS General Relationship Discussion 1 2nd March 2014 12:14 AM
My Daughter and the love triangle dichotomy Parenting 0 16th July 2013 12:02 PM
Is Love Possible? Maybe I want to be with my daughter, maybe I'm running away inside DeadHyjinx Coping 7 18th August 2003 12:34 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 PM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2018 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.