What about Bob?

What about bob

What about bob

My sister has been married to her husband since I was 11. Her family is amazing and I have always been close to her in laws. Her father in law Bob is one of the coolest people you could ever meet. I have always been close with him.

I have a little five year old who just loves Bob and lately has been wanting to call him “Grandpa Bob” probably because my 20 and 16 year old nephews do. He drew a picture the other day for Bob, and when he saw him at my sister’s two days ago ran to him. Not my dad.

My dad and Bob have been at odds with each other for years because Bob did drugs when the first met. He’s now a changed man but my dad dislikes him and wants me to make my son stop calling him grandpa, drawing him things or running to him. I don’t know what to do... it doesn’t bug me or my husband, or Boband his wife just my dad.

What should I do?

BarbedFenceRider

I don't think your dad should be worried about more than one grandpa. My family, everybody is a tio or uncle, and my kids tend to gravitate towards others as well. They still love and cherish all the other family members, but usually it will change when they get older. My son was ALL about Grandma (My mom) when he was younger. Now that he is older, it's just not as "cool" as it was...lol

My daughter is a grandpa girl. She is younger, but a clinger no less. I suspect as she gets older, grandma will be cool again. I just try to include ALL family members on social gatherings and celebrate our family as evenly as I can. It can be hard sometimes, but good solid communication should keep the resentment or bruised egos at bay. Hopefully.

As for your dad, maybe your husband can go grab a beer with him and talk things out. He may just feel limited with no one to talk to and needs to vent and see a more rational approach to "family" time. Nothing a beer and a ball game can't fix.;) Best of luck.

My sister has been married to her husband since I was 11. Her family is amazing and I have always been close to her in laws. Her father in law Bob is one of the coolest people you could ever meet. I have always been close with him.

I have a little five year old who just loves Bob and lately has been wanting to call him “Grandpa Bob” probably because my 20 and 16 year old nephews do. He drew a picture the other day for Bob, and when he saw him at my sister’s two days ago ran to him. Not my dad.

My dad and Bob have been at odds with each other for years because Bob did drugs when the first met. He’s now a changed man but my dad dislikes him and wants me to make my son stop calling him grandpa, drawing him things or running to him. I don’t know what to do... it doesn’t bug me or my husband, or Boband his wife just my dad.

What should I do?

When I was a kid, my parents had a very interesting cast of friends. Those people became family to me and I loved them. They enriched my life. Frankly, I'd tell your dad to stop acting jealous and concentrate on treasuring the relationship he has with his grandchild. I'd also add in that the more people who love a child, well, all the better for the child.