Did any Step-Moms get a Mother's day present?

Hi all!!

I just wanted to see how many stepmoms out there got a Mother's Day card or gift from their stepkids.

My step-daughter is 4, and she doesn't live with us.

She was here this weekend, and on Saturday, she kept telling me that she had to go to the store with her dad and that I should'nt go... I was beginning to get a little offended :o

Well Sunday morning she woke me up with a card that she signed, it said I love you- and her name... aaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww- and a gift certificate to get my nails done.

I was so touched, I almost cried.

I don't have any kids of my own, but I really love my step daughter, and I thougt it was really sweet of her to reckognize me on Mother's Day.

AWWWWW that was sweet.

Actually, I'm a mom, and I'm about to be a step mom. I got a new outfit (shoes too) and some flowers and a beautiful card.

I didn't get a card or anything like that....and her mother of course had her for that day...but my Husband bought me a picnic table from the kids.

• 2 weeks later...
innerconflict

The day before Mother's Day, myself, my bf and his five year old son had our picture taken together at an outing. For Mother's Day, my bf had the photo put in a beautiful frame and gave it to me. It is now hanging in our living room. It was great.

I did not give my step-mom anything. I even forgot she existed!!! :confused:

LOL Niave!!

Do you not like your step-mom? ;)

I called my step-mom just out of respect because she has no relationship with her own children, and I did it out of respect for my dad as well. Not that she deserves it AT ALL!

• 3 weeks later...

I sure hope that one day the step children will at least acknowledge the sacrifices that a step parent makes every day to be a step parent. Granted, not all step parents are a treasure, but neither are all step children.

The step children may be too young to understand now, but believe me, one day you will, especially if you find yourself as a step parent. Its not easy, it can be painful and its terrible that many step parents are taken advantage of, expected to be and do all and not be recognized for it or appreciated for their sacrifices. Ya its terrible that there has to be step anything, but there are, and its not the step parents fault, its your parents fault.

Isnt it time to give back to those who've given to you?

Originally posted by haveaheart

I sure hope that one day the step children will at least acknowledge the sacrifices that a step parent makes every day to be a step parent. Granted, not all step parents are a treasure, but neither are all step children.

The step children may be too young to understand now, but believe me, one day you will, especially if you find yourself as a step parent. Its not easy, it can be painful and its terrible that many step parents are taken advantage of, expected to be and do all and not be recognized for it or appreciated for their sacrifices. Ya its terrible that there has to be step anything, but there are, and its not the step parents fault, its your parents fault.

ABSOLUTLEY!!!! Sometimes, I feel like being a step-parent is harder than being a biological parent. Simply because, we love the kids, not because we gave birth to them, but because we want to, we deal with all of the hard feelings of our spouses being in a past relationship, and still having to see that person from their past. I could go on forever... but I'll stop at that.

At least in my situation, I have really been through alot as a step parent. Dealing with my husbands ex girlfriend hasnt been a cake walk, but I do it for him, and for my step daughter.

Also, when a mother has a child, that child comes out of the womb loving it's mother... but when you're a step-mom, you have to work for that love.

Getting a card for mother's day might not seem like a big deal to everyone, but for me.. it showed me that all of my hard work and love paid off.... at least for now :o

Originally posted by haveaheart

So true! I'm glad someone put it into words. I think I'm in need of a step-parenting forum. If anyone knows of one, please PM me. I get nothing but sh*t from this board regarding step-parenting. It's like I'm the bad guy. :laugh:

Originally posted by tiki

So true! I'm glad someone put it into words. I think I'm in need of a step-parenting forum. If anyone knows of one, please PM me. I get nothing but sh*t from this board regarding step-parenting. It's like I'm the bad guy. :laugh:

Not to me you're not. I've read alot of your posts regarding step-parenting, and I pretty much agree with you on every front.

** Granted, not all step parents are a treasure, but neither are all step children. **

** Sometimes, I feel like being a step-parent is harder than being a biological parent. Simply because, we love the kids, not because we gave birth to them, but because we want to, we deal with all of the hard feelings of our spouses being in a past relationship, and still having to see that person from their past. **

I think you are mainly talking about stepparents with young children. My parents remarried during my late teens. I didn't get my stepmother anything for Mother's Day, and i don't feel bad about it, because of a simple thing she told my dad last year (they've been together since 1995): "I don't need her and she doesn't need me."

I may not be a jewel of a person 100 percent of the time, but compare that statement to the words of my stepdad, whose been so for about the same length of time as my stepmom: "I never had my own biological children, but you and your brothers are as close as I could ever get."

My stepmother's "real" kids don't even know her birthday.

I hope the best for all the stepmothers out there, and I sincerely hope you never say anything as hurtful as mine did about me.

Oh that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. You're right....it should have never been said. I'm sure it's put a damper on the relationship too. :o

Originally posted by aquaria127

** Granted, not all step parents are a treasure, but neither are all step children. **

** Sometimes, I feel like being a step-parent is harder than being a biological parent. Simply because, we love the kids, not because we gave birth to them, but because we want to, we deal with all of the hard feelings of our spouses being in a past relationship, and still having to see that person from their past. **

I think you are mainly talking about stepparents with young children. My parents remarried during my late teens. I didn't get my stepmother anything for Mother's Day, and i don't feel bad about it, because of a simple thing she told my dad last year (they've been together since 1995): "I don't need her and she doesn't need me."

I may not be a jewel of a person 100 percent of the time, but compare that statement to the words of my stepdad, whose been so for about the same length of time as my stepmom: "I never had my own biological children, but you and your brothers are as close as I could ever get."

My stepmother's "real" kids don't even know her birthday.

I hope the best for all the stepmothers out there, and I sincerely hope you never say anything as hurtful as mine did about me.

Oh I hear you on that one. I was personally reffering to young children.

My stepmom married my dad 4 years ago, and she sounds like yours.

I went out of my way to be nice to her so that her transition into step-motherhood would be easy, but she doesn't appreciate it.

I was 22 when they got married and she's always resented me even though I didn't take any of my dads time. I was already living on my own. I think she doesn't really like me because Im the fruit of another womans loins :laugh:

I would never dislike my step daughter soley based on things that aren't her fault.

that being said, this is what i would love to get my step-mom, if she acknowledged my existence:

- a facial and pedicure and an hour-long massage, because she's a nurse and works really long hours.

- a collection of paperbacks she can read at work, metaphysics and travel stuff

- photographs of her favorite beaches, which would be displayed in koa wood frames

- a photo album with pictures of her and my dad, her sons, my brothers and I.

Originally posted by aquaria127

that being said, this is what i would love to get my step-mom, if she acknowledged my existence:

- a facial and pedicure and an hour-long massage, because she's a nurse and works really long hours.

- a collection of paperbacks she can read at work, metaphysics and travel stuff

- photographs of her favorite beaches, which would be displayed in koa wood frames

- a photo album with pictures of her and my dad, her sons, my brothers and I.

:love: Awww.

I hope it all works out for the two of you. I have a step-mom myself and I admit, it's a little hard to get close.