dad doesnt understand he needs to help with education

milly2244

hi everyone im new to this site so hello all.i have a nine year old son who is struggling at school.we have been told he needs to study more and practise his times tables.i work alot of hours and he spends most of his time with his dad(we are together).i fing myself saying the same thimg everyday to them both.please revise,please brush up on your tables but dad seems to think letting my boy sit for half an hour looking at a book or times tables is enough,im so frustrated he doesnt get that he needs to help him.,when i do get time to spend with him i find myself getting so mad because dad just doesnt get it!!! ive no just stormed out of the house on my only day off i get to spend with him because they have just had a full week together no school or work for dad and 6 12 hour shifts for me to find my boy still cant do his 8 times tables. i feel like im banging my head against a brick wall.please tell me im not the only onr ou there,i dont no what to do.

Have you asked the boy's father why he is not emphasizing school work & academic achievement? Have you considered having a parent teacher conference with the school so the teachers can address your husband's concerns? Can you afford to put your son in a after school program like Huntington Learning Center?

but dad seems to think letting my boy sit for half an hour looking at a book or times tables is enough

Maybe your son's father doesn't have the first clue about how to properly help your son with his maths or any other homework?

Why don't you make it a family affair the next time, and take the lead and demonstrate by positive example how to best help your son with his homework?

You can also suggest that your son's father do some research about this aspect of parenting, through the school or YouTube or whatever. But don't discount or diminish your own role in setting a good example and being a positive role model.

GunslingerRoland

There are some types of homework that are easier to help with than others. Time tables are simply memorization. I've struggled helping my son with that too.

Also times tables have been very de-emphasized in the current school curriculum. I don't agree with that, as they are the basis of multiplication, but it isn't the focus it was 20-30 years ago.