New mum very nervous about surgery

girlygirl2011

girlygirl2011

Hi all, I gave birth just over 5 weeks ago to a gorgeous baby boy.

I have been very nervous about childbirth since a young age but a few months into pregnancy, discovered hypnobirthing, I did my meditations every day which had an extraordinary effect on my psyche (typically I have suffered with low self esteem and fears for most of my life) but I was so unbelievably positive about the birth and so so proud of myself.

The birth was challenging but it went fine and baby son was born healthily on 8th Feb.

Before discharging me from hospital, I had a routine scan and first of all they found a couple of "things" inside my uterus, suspected blood clots or small pieces of placenta. They told me it was more than likely the uterus would absorb / expel on its own and told me to come back within a week to check.

Whilst looking around they also found (completely by accident), something in my bladder - to cut a long story short, confirmed small, newly formed polyp which has to be removed.

Cut another long story short, after going back every week for scans, whatever was still in my uterus, is still there and now this also needs removing. The gyno suggested I have both procedures done together to minimise hospital time as obviously I'm a new mum and breastfeeding.

Well, I got the call for next week for the bladder procedure and now the gyno is sorting out getting them done together.

I am in a total panic. I'm worrying about everything, what will the polyp be? Benign or malignant? Am I putting myself at risk doing both procedures together? How will the procedures be? Will I panic? Will I be safe?

I can't stop crying and worrying and it's so frustrating as I was SO calm and centred during my pregnancy, now I'm a wreck, all I want to do is be a mum and look after my gorgeous boy, I want to be healthy and well and nothing to come in between being a fab mummy.

I'm sure part of this is hormones, tiredness and baby blues, I just want everything to be normal...

Can anyone give me some advice?

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...
BobbyJ Bear

You have the one most amazing reason anyone can ever have to plough on, stay calm, and hold it together. You have your son. He's worth overcoming whatever gets thrown at you right? He is relying on you! Take your strength from him.

I'm sure part of this is hormones, tiredness and baby blues, I just want everything to be normal...

Can anyone give me some advice?

Thank you

Modern medicine is often miraculous. The options we have now compared to even 20 years ago are mind-boggling and I'm sure all those technologies will work to your advantage. If you can heal and recover from childbirth, you'll get through this :) .

I didn't see a single mention of the father? Is he available to support and help?

Mr. Lucky

Sorry this situation is causing you so much anxiety. I can relate because I have a total phobia of hospitals and surgeries. Even minor medical procedures cause me great stress so I get what you are going through.

The good news is that your bladder polyp is most likely benign but even in the worst case scenario, bladder cancer is very treatable and curable when caught early. Bladder cancer is more common in older men and not so commen in young women. Since you just had a baby I'm guessing you are 40 or younger so most likely your polyp is benign. Getting it removed will be a relief because then you won't have to worry about it becoming cancerous later on.

I doubt there is any extra danger involved in having both your bladder and your uterus taken care of in the same surgery. They are very close together and this is probably just normal routine for your surgeon. And again it will be such a relief to get everything over with at one time. Why put yourself through this twice?

I think a lot of my phobias were triggered by untreated post partum depression. After my son was born I became full of anxiety and irrational fears but this was back in a time when people still found it very difficult to admit to mental health issues so I never addressed my postpartum depression. Don't be afraid to talk about your hormonal baby blues or your fears with your doctor. No reason to suffer through postpartum blues in silence when there are resources readily available. Are you still meditating? If not maybe consider doing so as meditation can work wonders at calming the mind and bringing peace, as you know.

I suspect you have nothing to worry about. It will soon be all behind you and you will be able to just get on with life. I wish you the best of luck!

GunslingerRoland

Talk to your doctor. As a new mother you are at possibly the most emotionally vulnerable situation of your life. And then you have surgery coming up at the same time. Some counselling or an anti anxiety medication might make sense for you...