Husband asked ME to ask HIS daughter what she wants for her birthday!

Mapper71

What a strange request from H last night. His daughter's 18th birthday is on Monday and he asks me to go on Facebook today and ask her what she wants for her birthday! Whaaaat?? She's YOUR daughter! You sit at home on the couch every day doing nothing because you are recuperating from your accident. I have sent her a few messages over the past year since they had their big fight but we are by no means close. They started connecting again after both of his accidents and she came and saw him at the hospital twice last month so why are you asking ME to contact her?? Plus, don't you think you should have been thinking about this a while ago and not 3 days before her birthday?! What do you plan on buying for her seeing as how you have no money? Expecting me to chip in and pay for it because it's her 18th birthday and she of course needs something extravagant like every other birthday to show her that you love her! He probably wanted me to ask her so I look like I'm super interested in getting her something. Nope, all she's getting from me is a "Happy Birthday" on Facebook!

• Author
You definitely have some good points to make. Have you considered talking to your husband?

Well right after he asked me to do that I was just kind of dumbstruck and it took me about 10 seconds and then I said "Why don't you just ask her yourself?" and he goes "Yeah, I guess I can do that." Well duh! Why wouldn't you??!!

• Like 1

Sounds like a repeat situation of Christmas!

Just do it, ask her if there's something special she would like for her bday. Don't make a big deal of it. Or get her a gift card to a clothing store, can't go wrong with that.

Your H is who he is, the sooner you accept his flaws and that he isn't going to change the happier you'll be.

I am assuming your husband is middle aged based on the age of his daughter. I am guessing he has always deferred to his daughter's mom to take care of certain things (including the gift giving) so he is probably just reverting back to the way he has always done things. Just let him know it is his responsibility and establish the new normal and all will be fine. You can teach an old dog new tricks!

I am assuming your husband is middle aged based on the age of his daughter. I am guessing he has always deferred to his daughter's mom to take care of certain things (including the gift giving) so he is probably just reverting back to the way he has always done things. Just let him know it is his responsibility and establish the new normal and all will be fine. You can teach an old dog new tricks!

Yeah, but the bottom line is that the OP will stay pay for whatever his princess wants because he's out of work MORE than actually being productive and working.

Same old sh*t, different flies.