Keeping a kid in one place

GooseChaser

GooseChaser

So I'm not a parent but I helped out this week with a preschool class. The thing I had the most trouble with was how to keep a very young child sitting in one place without making them feel too tied down if they start wanting to go wandering off. I see other people are able to do it pretty effortlessly and when I have the same kid they want to start walking around pretty quickly. I tried not to keep too tight of a hold on them so if they really wanted to go they could go. (Most of the time we were just in the classroom so it was fine.) I asked the teacher and she just said that it's "different" with two and a half year olds than three or four year olds. Can anyone help me out? :)

I'm no expert, but sometimes I think kids can pick up on the energy we give off. If we have a calming energy, kids sense that and react a certain way. If we have more of an excitable energy, kids may react accordingly. IDK...what do you think?

Personally though, I think it's sad to have 2 1/2 y/o (or even 3-4 y/o) sitting a lot. I think they're designed to move, explore, walk/run/jump. I think keeping them seated is more a matter of convenience, or probably necessity at a daycare. I wish they were allowed to explore and move as they wish. :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

That's interesting! Yeah that could be part of it. At the preschool I was helping at, we really don't keep them sitting that often! They have a lot of time to play in the classroom and they go outside to the playground for recess also. Sometimes they just sit in an oval with the teacher for a lesson or sing-along. So it's not so bad, at that particular one at least.

It sounds like a child is sitting in your lap during circle time or something like that? If that is the case, participating with him/her and then gently rocking back and forth when listening can calm a child.

A child of 3 has about a....5-10 minute attention span when sitting (unless they are watching those awful manic and brightly colored cartoons).

I'm no expert, but sometimes I think kids can pick up on the energy we give off. If we have a calming energy, kids sense that and react a certain way. If we have more of an excitable energy, kids may react accordingly. IDK...what do you think?

Personally though, I think it's sad to have 2 1/2 y/o (or even 3-4 y/o) sitting a lot. I think they're designed to move, explore, walk/run/jump. I think keeping them seated is more a matter of convenience, or probably necessity at a daycare. I wish they were allowed to explore and move as they wish. :o

I agree. If you don't have kids, the best way to describe it is a two and a half year old is like a puppy. Imagine trying to keep a puppy in one place. Impossible- they just want to run, play, sniff and investigate.

Some kids at that age can sit still for a short book or game, but others will be all over the place. Even the same kid could be completely different, depending on the time of day, if they're tired, hungry, just had a nap, etc.