7 year old wetting the bed all of a sudden

Mira221

Hi all, I'm new here and have a question. My 7 year old son has been wetting the bed all of a sudden. He has done it before when he was younger not long after he was potty trained, and he couldn't make it to the bathroom in time. I understand accidents but not sure if this is accidental or not. He doesn't have alot to drink before bed time, and nothing has changed in our household to make me think it was for attention. He is a heavy sleeper, but I would think that if he felt a dribble he would get up and go to the bathroom. He is soaking the bed. Not just a little, a lot. This is not an all the time thing, it happens once in awhile. What would make a 7 year old all of a sudden start doing this? Maybe its laziness, or could be a medical problem I suposse. Any thoughts are welcome, thanks.

Maybe ask him if there is something making him anxious at school. Someone picking on him, or maybe a teacher is not nice to him...Kids pick up on stress around them so maybe it could be this time of year in general. If you feel he's acting pretty normal most of the time, then yes, definately take him to the doctor and have a check up, just to be sure everything is okay.

I used to wet the bed as a child. The remedy was a bit harsh but dammit, it worked.

My parents got some sort of sheet that went under the bedsheets that sensed liquid so when I'd pee the bed, a loud buzzer would go off and wake me the hell up. So it was kind of like reverse classical conditioning, I wouldn't pee the bed so I wouldn't hear the friggin' buzzer scare the crap out of me. Ah?

I constantly peed my pants after I got potty trained. I ended up having a small bladder and they had to do surgery. They went in and "ballooned it up".

savethedrama4allama

I'm not a doctor, but I've heard that children's bodies can outgrow their bladder's capacity throughout different stages in childhood. His bladder may not be able to contain all the fluids that he has needed to consume over the course of the day, and if he's a heavy sleeper then he'll sleep through the feeling of urgency.

Perhaps try waking him up once in the middle of the night to empty his bladder for a little while?

My son is nearly 8 and wets the bed regularly - this is normally apparently to the age of 10, 11 etc

But...lately he has taken using his bedroom floor as the "bathroom", urine only.

The first time he did it I was out of the country, so I put it down to mum's-away-stress, but he did it yesterday for no reason as far as I could see.

He maintains he "cant feel it coming" but never has accidents at school, and I see him going to the bathroom reguarly at home.

I think with my son its attention seeking, but will ask Dr asap. We had a good discussion about it this week. Fingers crossed, all will be fine soon!

If this normally doesn't happen, and has just started up, I would be concerned about something happening at school, or daycare to start this up. If things haven't changed within your household, it has to be happening somewhere.

Hi, thanks to all that replyed. I will keep a watch on things and see whats going on. I talked with his teacher to see if maybe anything was going on at school I didn't know about that may be a contributing factor, but the teacher says hes a good student and things seem fine in the class room. I talked with my son as well, he says school is good and he gets along with his friends etc. Then again, sometimes kids don't always come clean with everything. Hopefully all is as well as he says. I may check in with the doctor too just to see what he has to say. Thanks again to all.

Originally posted by UCFKevin

I used to wet the bed as a child. The remedy was a bit harsh but dammit, it worked.

My parents got some sort of sheet that went under the bedsheets that sensed liquid so when I'd pee the bed, a loud buzzer would go off and wake me the hell up. So it was kind of like reverse classical conditioning, I wouldn't pee the bed so I wouldn't hear the friggin' buzzer scare the crap out of me. Ah?

Holy hell! That must've been creepy... :confused:

I didn't know this but read it once on a similar kind of forum...that bedwetting should always initially be investigated by a doctor............there can be an underlying medical cause for it and it should never be "assumed" that it is just stress, being a heavy sleeper, etc.......especially when it begins like it did with your son, recently, out of the blue. Do a search on Google ( http://www.google.com ) and in the search box type in: sudden bedwetting .........the medical terminology for bedwetting, by the way, is eneuresis.

Information states that sudden bedwetting can be a sign of diabetes or a urinary tract infection........so you can see this is something that should first be checked out by your son's pediatrician/doctor.

Hi thanks for the replys. Actaully he has mentioned here recently his back hurts sometimes. Of course thats usually when hes tired or is getting sick. Could be a kidney infection. He has an appointment later on this week so we shall see.

Rowan, I cringe at the thought. However I would think if thats the case he would probably display more things other than just wetting the bed. Not sure though. Anyway he goes this week to the doctor so I'll let you know. Thanks again.

It does sound like a kidney infection.

Bedwetting is usually a silent symptom of such abuse.

I am very happy that with this new information it doesn't sound like its SA at all.