Terriost obtained information about school system in my area

I have never been so afraid about anything in my life. My son attends school in fort myers and I just got this link. I just can't bring him to school, I know I can't shelter him forever but what the Fu@@@K!!

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041008/NEWS0104/410080446/1075

What would you do if this was your childs school district!!

:( This is f*cking horrible. This country has to do something about this bullsh*t. I'm surprised that your school hasn't already addressed concerns. I had heard about this early this week, but thought that they had retracted it based on other information.

Contact the school immediately, first thing Monday morning. Find out what their plan of action is incase of a terrrorist attack occuring. Talk to your child if you can. Explain the needs of importance to maybe listen to the school/officials in case of any emergency. Pray like hell. Vote for Kerry, I hope he can provide a more safe country than what we're experiencing now. :mad:

Good luck and I'll be thinking of you. Keep us posted.

Oh f*ck it, I can't even imagine sending my kid to school under those circumstances. I'd be having a nervous freakin breakdown. I am so sorry you're having to deal with this.

• Author

My son is a special needs child he can't really communicate... I can't frigging believe this there is a debate on wheather school will be open in fort myers on election day. :sick::mad:

Originally posted by stoneheather

My son is a special needs child he can't really communicate

I was thinking that as I typed it. I'm sorry. Imagine how nervous you would be if it was HIS school. Still, I'd be on it like stink on sh*t, stoney. I'd imagine a lot of other parents would be too.

• Author

I want to move far far away first friggin hurricanes now this... I feel like I am in a war zone!!

I agree with Tiki. Its horrible. What options do you have right now? Are you married? Any help? Gosh. What about home-study. Look into this.

I can't imagine the fear you have right now.

People use terrorism a lot to further their political agenda, from all directions, but when it's got a human face on it, the helplessness must be overwhelming.

You're in my prayers, as is your entire town.

Originally posted by stoneheather

I have never been so afraid about anything in my life. My son attends school in fort myers and I just got this link. I just can't bring him to school, I know I can't shelter him forever but what the Fu@@@K!!

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041008/NEWS0104/410080446/1075

What would you do if this was your childs school district!!

You can relax!!! :)

I read a report just yesterday from the FBI stating that the information found wasn't actually related to terrorism *at all*, and that the media was just overhyping it (as usual).

I'm going to try finding the news article for you, but relax, and know that it's ok :)

You know, it's funny, I can find 50000 articles saying that the CD-ROM found was intended to be used by terrorists, but I'm having one hell of a time finding the article I saw yesterday. These news companies hate announcing that they went overboard and just scared everyone ****less for no reason.

Sigh.

Anyways, here's a little bit that I found, from here :

While the national news was reporting the story a week ago, one FBI agent was quoted in an Associated Press story as saying the disk contained only research on schools performed by an Iraqi doctor with no ties to terrorism. This information differed from earlier reports from military sources that the Iraqi with the disk was the son of a man with connections to al Qaida.

I'll still search for the original source, if I can find it :)

After seeing my town mentioned, I don't think I could ever 'relax'.

Could you imagine?

Terrorism, Shmerrorism. I think terrorism has been hyped up far too much. There are more important things to be worrying about. I think it is foolish for a person to allow the fear of terrorism to prevent him from living a normal, daily routine. In my area, all I ever hear about is terrorism, and how I am right in the middle of several highly targetted buildings.

I flip terrorism the finger and tailgate it down the highway.

Faux, you'd feel differently if you had children, and their school was directly threatened.

Tons of people are reckless with their own lives, but few would risk the same to happen to their children.

geez faux, calling heather foolish for being sh*t scared about her child is an extremely callous thing to do.

take it back, man.

Originally posted by bluetuesday

geez faux, calling heather foolish for being sh*t scared about her child is an extremely callous thing to do.

take it back, man.

I did not call Heather foolish for being afraid. Did I? I find that, in this particular instance, your behavior seems a bit crude. I did not target any individual person with my comment. An apology would be appreciated, but I do not not expect one.

I stated, in fewer words, that to allow oneself to become preoccupied with fear of terrorism is foolish. Letting terrorism interfere with ones life, to me, accomplishes nothing. If a man instructed me to swallow poison, I think I would be foolish to follow his command. If terrorists want me to go out of my mind with fear, I think it would be foolish for me to do precisely that.

There have been no terrorist attacks, to my knowledge, on the United States since September 11. I believe terrorism is not something that the American people need to worry about at the moment.

yes you did faux and you don't deserve an apology on this one.

heather posted here expressing fear for her child, who she believes in under the threat of terrorism. you explicitly stated that people who fear terrorism appear to be very foolish. that's unkind. her fear is very real to her, and many of us are extremely concerned on her behalf.

being terrified with good reason of a repeat of the beslan tragedy in your own child's school is horrific. you've got a good heart faux. let it rule your head this time.

In fact, they have determined that it was not a terrorist who had the plans. It was somebody working on building schools in Iraq. But this is typical of the way scaremongers like to leap on every rumour and blow it way out of proportion.

Oh faux, get off it. This thread isn't the place for talking in the abstract.

It would be one thing if you were. I'd even agree with you, that a preoccupation with terrorism only feeds into the impetus of terrorist causes, or that it leads to trouble at home--but this is different. You chose heather's thread to make your point, so it's clear that any comments you make are made within the context of this thread.

This is different than threatening you, it's a direct threat to the life that came from you. If you ever have children, you'd totally understand.

Originally posted by bluetuesday

yes you did faux and you don't deserve an apology on this one.

Show me where I said that "Heather is foolish to be afraid for her child's safety". You are welcome.

heather posted here expressing fear for her child, who she believes in under the threat of terrorism. you explicitly stated that people who fear terrorism appear to be very foolish. that's unkind. her fear is very real to her, and many of us are extremely concerned on her behalf.

"Appear to be" is not entirely the same thing as "Definitely are". I do not believe this woman has anything to be concerned about.

being terrified with good reason of a repeat of the beslan tragedy in your own child's school is horrific. you've got a good heart faux. let it rule your head this time.

I honestly believe that no one needs to worry about terrorism. I think things are a lot safer now, and giving in to this type of fear will only stifle us. If I truly felt that a fear of terrorism was legitimate at this time, then I would express my deepest hopes and concerns.

I believe that everything is going to turn out just OK. I also tend to think of it this way: It might be a good idea to let the school decide what needs to be done, and if this is a legitimate cause for worry. Teachers value their lives, too. I do not think that the board of education would allow children to remain in that school if it believed there was any true risk. This is why I think things will be OK. I do not think it makes sense to worry about it now; I think doing so makes things worse.

I think I have been using too few words lately, and not getting my points across.

Originally posted by dyermaker

Oh faux, get off it. This thread isn't the place for talking in the abstract.

Explain what you mean by that. I believe I am being quite clear. I apologize if you feel uncomfortable.

It would be one thing if you were. I'd even agree with you, that a preoccupation with terrorism only feeds into the impetus of terrorist causes, or that it leads to trouble at home--but this is different. You chose heather's thread to make your point, so it's clear that any comments you make are made within the context of this thread.

That assumption would be wrong. I saw this thread. I read this thread. I saw something I figured I would respond to in a broad range. I did so. You make an assumption that is invalid. I sometimes overhear a conversation and voice my opinion. This does not necessarily mean that I am targetting any of the individuals involved in that conversation.

This is different than threatening you, it's a direct threat to the life that came from you. If you ever have children, you'd totally understand.

Do you know that I do not have children, or that I do not care for children in some way?

A. It was not a terrorist who had the plans

B. You should investigate facts before you get too worried - don't worry about stuff unless there is a real thing to worry about

C. Since it was not a terrorist who had the plans, there is no cause for Heather's fear and therefore no reason to argue about whether or not it's foolish to live in fear of terrorists

I honestly believe that no one needs to worry about terrorism.

Maybe this does not happen in your town or maybe it does but you don't know because you have car, but...

I am also tired of feeling afraid. During each week there is at least one day when everybody goes bizurk and all trains and metros are cancelled (and that means delays for hours for me) because peole have discovered a " suspect package". Yeah, with special troops coming in, etc etc.

Who's taking terorrism too seriously now? I hate it. I think I am a very calm and rational and logical person. Yet, many times I have found that I was staring a stupid parcel left on the ground and asking myself while the train was still moving how many compartments would I have to cross in order to be safe. Or get down at the first station and take another train. You can't feel your knees because of it... Whomever wrote the story with the little boy crying "wolf wolf" was mistaken. I still feel my heart in my throat everytime I see "cancelled train, suspect packages'' on the screens...

I think I'd pack my stuff and move from the US if I'd have to live the type of panic Heather must have been feeling right now. It's just too much stress.... HEather, hold on. It's less than 20 days 'till the elections. there's a lot of crazy people able to do craziest things to make sure that you'd change your vote. And I am a Democrat...

Big hug,

Curly

I think the color alert system is the biggest slap in the face.

"We're not even clever enough to think up plots anymore, so you're just going to have to adjust your fear level according to whatever color we pick. Be vigilant and afraid enough to vote Republican, but don't stop spending money or driving places."

Originally posted by dyermaker

I think the color alert system is the biggest slap in the face.

"We're not even clever enough to think up plots anymore, so you're just going to have to adjust your fear level according to whatever color we pick. Be vigilant and afraid enough to vote Republican, but don't stop spending money or driving places."

I wonder if there are people who still pay close attention to that terror alert meter. To me, the alert meter is simply a reminder that anything can happen at any time, which I think seems obvious. I accept the unpredictable as a part of my life, hope for the best, and try to make every day count. I cannot imagine fixating over color alerts and worrying.

Some people may think that my choice leaves me very uninformed, but I do not often find terror-related news alerts to be very interesting. Then again, I find that I have gained some rather valuable knowledge in reading what I do not really want to read.

I wonder if there are people who still pay close attention to that terror alert meter.

The stock market?