Fretting over college tuition

mr_practical

mr_practical

My daughter just got accepted to a prestigious art university in NYC. The tuition is $100k for 2 years! I only make about $65k per year and with all my expenses I barely get by. How am I going to be able to send her? Get 2 part time jobs on the side?

CaterpillarGirl

Co-sign her student loans. Also, make it clear she will need to be willing to work to support herself (i.e. taking on the part time jobs)!

Unless she is going to learn basketweaving, she can take out some student loans and pay them back later. There are also grants and scholarships she can apply for. There is more private money out there for college educations than for the war in Iraq. Call the financial aid office at the college she is going to attend and they'll get you going on your way to lining her up more money than she will ever need.

I worked my own way through college...my parents didn't pay a dime. You shouldn't have to pay $100,000 for two years. That's insane. If it comes down to it, have her go to a less expensive state college.

CaterpillarGirl

My parents didn't pay for my education. I got a great education in a less expensive state school because I WORKED FOR IT. Every lousy job and every last dime was spent so I could earn an education. Now I'm in grad school and they pay me to learn! I know as a parent, you want to give your kids everything, so why not start with responsibility? The degree will mean more to her knowing she struggled and worked for it.

As Tony said, there are millions of scholarships out there for all kinds of people. There are even scholarships specifically for left-handed students! Try fastweb.com or call the university's financial aid office. If she's talented enough to get into a prestigious school, I'm sure she could be a good competitor for a national scholarship. Good luck!

My parents did not have the money to pay for my college tuition either and I ended up with $21,000 in student loan money. It may not be a lot for a doctor or a lawyer to pay off, but then again they usually end up with many many thousands more debt.

I have two words for you: COMMUNITY COLLEGE. Get your general education requirements out of the way at a community college and then pour over all the info you can find about grants and scholarships. A high falootin' school is to finish your degree in is nice, but there is nothing wrong with a Sate college education. Bachelors degrees are important but the debt ration to income that people are graduating with today is sick and it will hurt for a long time, especially when you want to get married or save for a house.

There are soooooooooo many grants out there. You can even call your Congressman and they can look up grants available for women. Believe me, there is a whole room in the Rayburn House Office Building filled with books on grants for college, women, education. Your Congressman has a staff to research any issue - ANY issue, including your daughter's education for you. Also, every school has it's own scholarship grant program, and let's not foget those magic words "WORK STUDY" programs at school - also look into private family foundations and of course, good old student loans!! I would also have a serious talk with her is this is what she really wants to do - is college what she truly wants? Or is it what she thinks she SHOULD do. A degree doesn't solve everything and it doesn't always land the best jobs! Good luck dad!!

My neice got her Master's Degree starting with fund from the Work Study program and ending on student loans. I even think a person is more likely to apply themselves when college funds come from THEIR imput...rather than just taking a free ride.

Certainly you helping will be an advantage.....but you don't have to foot the entire bill.