Single Parent Vacations

soccorsilly

soccorsilly

I am new here and a single dad with three kids. Last year, I discovered a wonderful program to take kids on vacation called Single Parent Tours. They arrange all types of off the wall trips (mostly weekend/long weekend due to time and $$) but a few longer ones. I did a weekend to the Rocking Horse Ranch in New York and it was a great time for my kids and me. They have one in Jamaica this summer, but I need to look at the calendar to see if we can swing the time and dollars.

Just thought that others might be interested. It is run by a woman/author who wrote a book called The Single Parent Travel Handbook and she accompanies all of the trips--very enlightening and nice to mingle with people in similar situations.

They do have a website called http://www.singleparenttours.com and I believe there is a link to their Single Parent Travel site which is a forum type site like this. I found it very helpful and informative and thought if anyone is traveling...

GREAT LINK! I saved it! I'm going to check it all out today.

It's quite a coincidence since I sent LFW (my Shacker buddy!!!) a long email this morning suggesting she bring her kids ( the very same age as mine) to Florida for a vacation this summer. I guess several of us Moms were starting to think about what we could AFFORD to do. It's always about the MONEY....haha!

I live near the beach in Florida and am only 1.5 hours from Disney World and the whole Orlando extravaganza. We are real fortunate.

We HAVE talked about a Las vegas vacation in the next couple of years though.

• Author
soccorsilly

One of the nice things is that the programs I went on, really designed it around the family. There were adult times, together times, and just kid times. Brenda (the author) always says a "kid friendly" place is more than just a kids program and a few video games. My kids had a great time and we keep in touch with new friends from California and New York. I just booked the Jamaica trip--I figure I can get a refund if needed up to a point but wanted to save the space. The people they deal with who handle the reservation seem great--thorough and going out of their way to help. And the deposit was cheap--like $238. Now need to search Orbitz to see how much that will cost for the four of us to fly! YIKES!

I went on Single Parent Tours' Rocking Horse weekend trip last year. My daughter and I had a great time. We were with about a dozen other families and made a few friends. It was not nice not to have to be the *only* single person in a group of couples. It makes my daughter think we are weird because she only has one parent.