Tooth root in the gum

Hi my name is Jo and im really worried about my daughter's tooth , she's 5 .

When she was 1 and a half she fell and damaged her bottom two teeth they have been wobberly eversince really but when she was three one went pink then broke so now she is left with the root thats flush with the gum.

Yesterday i notised the root has come forward a little and her adult tooth had now appered behind ? so does the root need to come out or will that come out on its own ? . the one next to it is wobberly but has been for years do we need to keep wobberling that on ?, its strange because we have always been told not to touch it and try and keep it in but i supose as one tooth is showing that means the other one will now appear ? sorry for all the question , its just she has just had her tonsils out and her adenoids and quaterised her nose so she has been through it all lately and o trip to the dentist will just top it off.

Thanks Jo

TaraMaiden

I advise a dental visit.

if the broken tooth root doesn't come out of its own accord, then it will need removing, but leaving it impacted, will distort growth of new teeth coming through.

if it's moved upwards, then I would say it's coming out on its own, because the new tooth is pushing it.

but you really need the advice of a professional dentist.

This really isn't something we can advise you on, in a forum.

When medical opinion is required, the best thing to do is to get it.

• Author

Thanks Taramaiden for your quick reply , when we went to the dentist when it broke he said to keep it in to keep the gap open , i can see the tip of the new tooth coming through behind and it looks fine , im just worried it will be difficault to remove ?

TaraMaiden

Ok, give it a week or so. if the new tooth grows, but the root shows no sign of shifting - then I think a dental visit will be in order.

has there been any infection in the broken tooth?

Baby/milk teeth don't have roots, as such. They embed into the bone and gum, but they're designed to fall out easily when the adult teeth start coming through.....

Hopefully, if the dentist does need to intervene to pull the root, it won't be traumatic.

You can always give her a really special treat afterwards for being so good....!

(I used to be a dental nurse, so I'm talking form experience. However, don't take me as an expert. I would always advise professional opinion is sought.)

• Author

Thanks again for your reply , no not ever had any problems at all she keeps her teeth very clean etc brushes 2 -3 times aday she is very good like that , i was also worried that the tooth hasnt replased the baby tooth as its slightly behind ? , i have just called the dentist and she is booked in for next thursday , i would rarther them take the "root" out because i cant see it coming out on its own.

Thanks again for your advise:laugh:

Remember, baby teeth that fall out don't have a "root". The adult tooth grows directly underneath the crown of the baby tooth and it is attached to the root.

TaraMaiden
Dental exams and opinions...a FIRST for LoveShack in my ten years of being here.

Would I be right to describe you as 'long in the tooth' then, Tony dear.....? :D

Thanks again for your reply , no not ever had any problems at all she keeps her teeth very clean etc brushes 2 -3 times aday she is very good like that , i was also worried that the tooth hasnt replased the baby tooth as its slightly behind ? , i have just called the dentist and she is booked in for next thursday , i would rarther them take the "root" out because i cant see it coming out on its own.

Thanks again for your advise:laugh:

Glad you will be getting her in to the dentist. Be sure and let them know ahead of time about her possible fear.

Also, adult teeth don't always push out the baby teeth as they should. I had to have most of mine pulled. It also happened with my son. He and I actually had 2 rows of teeth that were firmly intact.

• Author

Thanks for everyone's advice and Tony T , i think to have these sort of problems to post on here are quite a good idea at the end of the day most people on here ar parents and have expieranced different issues and can maybe give advice;)

Dental exams and opinions...a FIRST for LoveShack in my ten years of being here.

Where have you been?

I am a dentist (I think I am the only one who posts on LS) and I have been giving dental advice on here on and off since 2006. This definitely isn't a first for me.

I would need to see it to give a proper diagnosis. I am glad you are taking her to the dentist.

It sounds like the baby tooth died as a result of being knocked and thats why it broke. Did you take her to the dentist then? Those sort of injuries are really common in baby teeth.

Baby teeth DO have roots.

The roots are then resorbed by the permanent tooth that comes up from underneath until there is no root left, and then the baby tooth falls out.

So if the baby tooth is hit as the permanent tooth is developing the root can be pushed down into the developing crown of the permanent tooth and cause problems- thats generally why we leave damaged baby teeth in place as you can cause more damage by taking them out.

Sometimes, however, the permanent teeth are not always exactly in line with the baby ones on top (and sometimes there is no permanent tooth underneath at all) so these baby teeth may need a helping hand to come out.

I am sure if its just a small piece of root that needs to come out it won't be a big deal to do it anyway.

Good luck.

• Author

Thanks for your reply , yes she went straight to the dentist the day it started to go pink and they said the "pulp" had died and the tooth would fall out well two days and a biscuit later it broke , she went straight back and they said they wanted to leave it in to keep the gap open otherwise her teeth would start to move etc , i can see the top of the new one its just broken through the skin and what i can see it looks fine, i think as the first injury was when she was about 8-9 months hopefully it wouldnt of damaged her new ones:bunny:

Yes that all sounds about right- hopefully it did its job as a space maintainer and your daughter doesn't need braces later!

You're doing the right thing by getting a professional opinion, and it will keep until Thursday. Let us know how it goes. :)

I'm proud of you for doing the right thing and taking your child to the dentist.

I would have perfectly natural straight teeth if it wasn't for one stubborn baby tooth. It wouldn't budge so my adult tooth grew in behind it. I started losing teeth later than normal...I was about 11 and saw what was happening. I begged and begged my mom to take me to the dentist. But she didn't. So now that one tooth sits behind the rest...and I still blame my parents for not taking me to the dentist. I hate the way it looks.

• Author

Hi all:) just wanted to update you all on the dentist trip .

Ellie wasnt worried at all so that was a good start , he looked at it and was happy the little stumpy one is starting to rise out of the gum and the adult tooth is starting to move foeward already so im pleased.

Its just a little painfull for her at the mo but she does understant.

He did say if it hasnt come out in a week or so to go back and he will remove it but he wants to see what happens first and he did say if he was to take it out he would rarther do it when the adult tooth has come up a bit more as its just broken through the gum.

Im pleased as i was worried that the broken one might have damaged the new one but looking at it it looks fine :):) , just want to say a big thankyou to everyone for there advice it really did help

Jo x

• Author
I'm proud of you for doing the right thing and taking your child to the dentist.

I would have perfectly natural straight teeth if it wasn't for one stubborn baby tooth. It wouldn't budge so my adult tooth grew in behind it. I started losing teeth later than normal...I was about 11 and saw what was happening. I begged and begged my mom to take me to the dentist. But she didn't. So now that one tooth sits behind the rest...and I still blame my parents for not taking me to the dentist. I hate the way it looks.

Hi im sorry about how you feel , im sure there is something that can be done for you ? do you go to the dentist ? have they said anything about what can be done about the tooth for you ?

Jo