Did this child "steal" from my daughter?

mopar crazy

Last year my 7th grade daughter and the rest of her classmates were allowed to bring in their favorite pillow for movie day on the last day of school.

I don't know if my daughter asked the teacher if she could keep the pillow in her room until the day was over or what, but she forgot the pillow in the classroom. I don't know if she looked for the pillow here at home, or what happened. I don't keep track of my their things, they are teenagers.

So, my daughter goes to her second day of school, sees a classmates walking out of this teachers classroom shoving a pillow in her back pack. My dd recognized the pillow as hers. The girl really had no business in that room as the teacher is a 7th grade teacher, 8th graders do not need to go in there unless they just want to talk to the teacher about something else. Like I said, I don't know if dd looked for it this summer. Anyhow, she ask the girl where she got the pillow, the girls pauses to think and tells dd she got it from Walmart. Dd goes and talks to the principal. He said there is nothing he can do to prove it's my dd's but he would talk to her.

Since dd forgot the pillow there at the school all summer and this other girl took it from the classroom does this make it stealing?

There is a very good case to make that it is the same pillow. But, like the principal said, just circumstantial evidence not 100% "proof".

One could also say that Daughter had responsibility to go and check the room on the first day of school -- on the second day, kinda "finders' keepers" when it comes to teens learning tough lessons, I think.

So...I'd take it as opportunity to reiterate importance of being responsible for own stuff instead of facilitating feeling like the victim of theft.

OTOH, Daughter had that one chance to say, "Oh...thanks for finding my pillow" instead of the too-open ended, "Where'd you get THAT?" (More assertive communication could also be a lesson.)

• Author
There is a very good case to make that it is the same pillow. But, like the principal said, just circumstantial evidence not 100% "proof".

One could also say that Daughter had responsibility to go and check the room on the first day of school -- on the second day, kinda "finders' keepers" when it comes to teens learning tough lessons, I think.

So...I'd take it as opportunity to reiterate importance of being responsible for own stuff instead of facilitating feeling like the victim of theft.

OTOH, Daughter had that one chance to say, "Oh...thanks for finding my pillow" instead of the too-open ended, "Where'd you get THAT?" (More

assertive communication could also be a lesson.)

That is a good point. I know why my dd was so assertive w/ this girl, it's b/c she does not like her, neither one of them like each other. She had a problem w/ her last year in which both her mom and I got involved. She is one of those mom's that thinks her child can do no wrong. Both of our dd's were grounded for their share.

I know why my dd was so assertive w/ this girl, it's b/c she does not like her,

Actually, I don't think Daughter was assertive ENOUGH. My interpretation of what/how she communicated is that it was perfectly fine and respectful, though. But of course, I don't know her tone...if it was more accusatory, that would be aggressive and not very productive.

But, had she just graciously claimed ownership as soon as she saw her pillow...nothing wrong with that ;)

• Author
Actually, I don't think Daughter was assertive ENOUGH. My interpretation of what/how she communicated is that it was perfectly fine and respectful, though. But of course, I don't know her tone...if it was more accusatory, that would be aggressive and not very productive.

But, had she just graciously claimed ownership as soon as she saw her pillow...nothing wrong with that ;)

Oh, ok. I got confused or read it wrong. I thought you meant dd was too assertive w/ the "Where did you get that pillow?" b/c my dd can be a little snotty,if that is what you want to call it, at times. I don't think the school should just let it go w/o questioning her but I have some friends on another board who think I should let it go and so should my dd and learn from it. The stupid pillow wouldn't be such a big deal if her grandmother didn't buy it.

Both of my kids both said that she has been caught stealing several times in the past. Whether that is true or not I don't know, it could just be rumors.

If it is the truth the school needs to get to the bottom of it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author

My daughter got her pillow back that following Monday at school. She had to go to the office to turn in her lunch money and the principal was walking out of his office. He told her he had something for her and went to his office and brought the pillow out. Yep, it was hers. I remember the tag. It a sticker price tag on it at one time and she tried getting it off but she could not get it all off. So, it was hers.

My daughter got her pillow back that following Monday at school. She had to go to the office to turn in her lunch money and the principal was walking out of his office. He told her he had something for her and went to his office and brought the pillow out. Yep, it was hers. I remember the tag. It a sticker price tag on it at one time and she tried getting it off but she could not get it all off. So, it was hers.

I think you should sell her Mom a used Honda... :laugh: