Getting a dog...

Aloros

So we're inching closer to adopting a dog. Bf and I live together, and we have full custody of his 10 year old son. He's a real sweet kid, and I adore him. He's very good with the cat and loves animals, but as all kids, he tends toward disorganized and forgetful. I made up a list of rules to cover all bases. Does this sound about right? For those of you with dogs and kids, am I missing anything? Before we even say, "hey, we're getting a dog!" I want him to be aware that there will be boundaries.

List of Rules

• The dog is not to be teased, poked, or prodded. It is another living being and must be respected as such.
  • The dog must be in a secure area or being held by someone before you open the door. Likewise, knock before coming back inside!
  • The dog is not to be fed table scraps, no matter how much it begs – this food is not good for it and it teaches bad manners! The dog will get treats, of course, but nothing directly from your plate.
  • Do not leave food out on the table or the counters. Anything chocolate must be stowed away in a cupboard out of reach or in the refrigerator.
  • If you take the dog outside, it MUST be on a leash, no exceptions except 5.! Do not take the dog on a walk when neither your dad nor I are home. You must ask permission first.
  • If you let the dog in the yard, you must make sure the gate is closed before letting the dog out and you must be in the yard with the dog at the same time – do not leave the dog unsupervised, even to use the bathroom!
  • It is OK for you to play with the dog and to let the dog into the yard (see 5.), but you have to have your homework done by the time we get home. By done, I mean ALL questions except for those you are having trouble with. Please read the directions thoroughly.
  • Pick the dog up only if you need to and absolutely never EVER drop it.
  • I am the primary caretaker of the dog, so if I say that the dog is to or is not to do something, there is always a reason. DO NOT encourage the dog to misbehave, no matter how funny or cute you may think it is.
  • Remember, disobeying these rules could lead to the injury or even the death of the dog. There may be no warnings or second chances in some cases, so you HAVE to follow them if you want the dog to remain happy, healthy, and safe. No arguments, no buts, and no excuses. NO EXCEPTIONS.
  • If anything happens to the dog, call me immediately. If you cannot reach me, call your dad.
  • Have fun with the new family member!

Are there any books out there for kids on how to play with and train dogs? It might be fun to read that with him, and practice with him with the dog, so that he understands the purpose behind all the rules, and how to take good care of the dog.

Also, do some research on kid friendly dogs. Some do much better with families with kids than others - they are more tolerant and relaxed about unexpected behavior.

• Author

Thanks for the suggestion, norajane! I found and ordered a book yesterday, and I'll read it with him when it gets here.

I'm looking at an Italian Greyhound. They're small dogs, which is why I'm more worried about what the future stepson would do to the dog than what the dog might do to him! I may just be a little paranoid though; he's shown very good behavior with my cat. I'm mostly worried about his forgetfulness, which is why I'd like to work on some of these things before the dog arrives.

Thanks again!

A lot of rules and they seem very, very strict. Are you going to get a puppy or an adult dog? Why are you interested in an Italian Greyhound?

If this is going to be pretty much your dog, then perhaps you should consider a Doggy Day care for it.

Have you had a dog before?

It's all fine and dandy to have all these rule and high expectations but mistakes do happen and dogs do get out and they do get food off the counter etc., etc.

Also, where I live there are puppy training classes (Humane Society) and the entire family is encouraged to come.

This just comes across to me as this is going to be your dog and the kid can play with, or touch him, but it's your dog. Sometimes I have seen overprotective parents - don't do this with the baby, be gentle with the baby, don't, don't, don,'t and meanwhile the baby is really enjoying and getting play that he/she normally wouldn't get (Not allowed!!!!) and loving it.

Congratulations on going the adoption route. And it appears that you have thought this out very well. A ten year old is old enough to care for a pet, but be prepared to follow behind him.

Is this dog for him or for you and your bf? If it is for him, did he have a hand in choosing the breed? If it is for you, do you expect him to care for your dog?

I love dogs and have four children...ages 6 to 12. They mix well if the right breed is chosen. We have had boxers and with our boys, and the boxers have handled any roughhousing that occurred...which has been very little. (I think the worst case I remember was that the first boxer was made into a deer for hunting...using suction cup arrows. Since the boys never could hit her, I wasn't too worried. :laugh: ). But if I had chosen a small dog, then it may have not worked as well.

I am in no way criticizing your choice of dog breed. But I do have to ask...why did you choose this breed? Having done a lot of research on different breeds before choosing a boxer, I know a bit about each one. Is this a breed that you find fascinating or interesting? Did you have one as a child? Will its characteristics fit your family?

You are very good in making that list. Italian greyhounds, like all sight hounds, operate by sight, and when they see something worth chasing (ie cats, rabbits, squirrels,etc.), they go into race mode. They will not stop for a command. And from what I read, they will not stop until they have either captured their prey or lost it. By that point, they could be hopelessly lost. So, if all members of your household know these rules and follow them, this will make things much easier.

For those who wonder what an Italian Greyhound is, go here....

http://www.italian-greyhound.net/

I think they are pretty dogs. Personally, I have always wanted a whippet (same thing but a little bigger), but when I researched the breeds, I found that whippets did not enjoy as much roughhousing as a boxer would. For our household, this would not fit. Maybe one day, when the boys are bigger, we may get one, but chances are like most families, we will keep getting the same breed.

Again, I am very impressed by all of the preparation that you are doing and have done before getting a dog. You are avoiding many of the mistakes that people do when they first get a dog by preparing for every possible problem.

I think it is going to work out just fine.

[*]Do not leave food out on the table or the counters. Anything chocolate must be stowed away in a cupboard out of reach or in the refrigerator.

I reread this and chuckled especially since I read on the website on IGs (as linked above)....

Italian Greyhounds like to be up on high spots in your house (such as back of chairs, sofas and even on top of the dining room table). If there is a window view they are especially thrilled. Care should be taken with puppies and young adults that they are not given the opportunity to attempt dare-devil stunts off the back of such things! Most owners' hearts cannot take the thrills and dangers these little darlings enjoy and so have rethought living room furniture placement.

Sounds like a lot of fun! :laugh:

• Author

I know the rules sound a little bit strict and heavy-handed, but this is a ten year old kid we're talking about! We have a lot of fun together, but when delineating rules, I have to be very stern and very clear about the consequences, or he won't take me seriously (or he just forgets). He's a sweetheart, but he's stubborn and I don't want to give him any wiggle room to do something that would lead to heartbreak for all of us. I swear I'm not evil dictator IRL, and I want him to have as much fun with the dog as I will.

The dog will be for all of us, not just for bf and I. Future stepson likes smaller dogs, and lists italian greyhounds among the breeds he would like. I want and encourage him to play with my cat (which they both enjoy), and I'd definitely do the same with the dog. I just don't expect him to have responsibilites regarding the dog except for the odd chore. Maybe when he gets older. I just see too many parents that buy an animal in hopes of teaching their child "responsibility" and then the poor pet has to suffer any consequences of a kid who is still learning the ropes.

I had a savannah cat (an exotic, hybrid breed between a domestic cat and an African Serval) until two months ago, when he passed away from FIP. The personality and craziness of the italian greyhounds remind me very much of my late cat, whom I miss every single day. There are a couple puppies in rescue, and though I'd like as young a dog as possible so I can stave off losing him/her for a very long time, I'll talk it over with my representative to see which dog she thinks would fit our lifestyle best.

I've read any and all websites I could find about the breed, a book on italian greyhounds, attended an italian greyhound playdate, spoken to owners, and have spoken with some of the people that are fostering the adoptable dogs. I personally have never had a dog before. We're pet-sitting a special needs dog for a couple weeks soon, so hopefully I can learn the ropes.

This may seem a little over-vigilant, but I like to be fully prepared.

Thanks for all the advice!

I know the rules sound a little bit strict and heavy-handed, but this is a ten year old kid we're talking about!

I've read any and all websites I could find about the breed, a book on italian greyhounds, attended an italian greyhound playdate, spoken to owners, and have spoken with some of the people that are fostering the adoptable dogs. I personally have never had a dog before. We're pet-sitting a special needs dog for a couple weeks soon, so hopefully I can learn the ropes.

This may seem a little over-vigilant, but I like to be fully prepared.

Thanks for all the advice!

The rules are not strict for a boy who has not had a dog. As he learns, these rules will be second nature. You are wise.

And I am impressed by all of the research you have done. Very few people do this, and when the dog arrives, they are not prepared. While I can say that nothing is the same as actually having the dog, this is a good start.

I do not think you are being over vigilant. You are doing great.

• 4 weeks later...

These rules really do seem strict. Sounds like you are trying to teach a 5 yr old how to take care of a dog, not a 10 yr old. Having said that, I'm guessing this is the child's first dog? I was raised with dogs from the time I was a baby, so alot of the rules listed seem like common sense to me.

I think the boy should be the one to pick out the dog. He will bond with it better and be more willing to be responsible for it's care. Now I don't mean he should pick out a St. Bernard if you don't have adequate space, but he should have alot of the say with some guidance.

It's great that you are doing research, before you adopt. I think alot of people don't do that and then end up very unhappy.

I myself love big dogs. They seem to get along really well with kids and are alot more tolerable in many cases.

My dog is 8 years old now and is wonderful. You definately don't want to get them started begging for "people food". That is a great rule! We don't allow our dog in the kitchen while we are cooking or eating. There's nothing worse than to look over and see a dog with drool on his lip while you are trying to eat! :laugh:

Good luck with your new pet! Let us know how it goes.

I think you have some great rules there ! i just wanted to share something that you may want to think about .. definitly the poking or harrasing of any animals would be wrong and not allowed but the dog should get used to kids being a little awkward at holding it and such , kids arent steady and usually kinda hyper and i think dogs should get used to it . if not when a child plays a little too rough with it unwillingly , the dog might react by biting . it is best to let the dog get used to the child handling him . i am exited for you , dogs are so wonderfull and make a great addition to any family :)