Parenting

EnigmasMuse

EnigmasMuse

What do you think makes a good parent(s)? I would say, communication, love, understanding, patience, nurturing, respect, probably a few other things as well, can't think right off the top of my head.

I also think it helps alot when both parents are on the same page reguarding the child(ren). I have seen so many kids whose parents are NOT on the same page about many things with their kids, and it can cause a real conflict. It sends mixed messages to kids about what may or may not be ok etc.

So what do you think makes a good parent(s)?

I don't have kids yet, but would like kids one day. So, I would agree with the things you have listed.

But I would like to add too, I think if parents can talk to eath other and to their kids, in a calm rational manner would help things as well. I think yelling at each other and at the kids or be little them is just completely uncalled for.

• 3 weeks later...
broken_doll_18
So what do you think makes a good parent(s)?

i think routine is a main part of being good parents, and also disapline if a child has both of them that is a bonus. but definatly a lot of love and nurture; if you can give a child/ren all of those then you are definatly good parents, the child is getting all the right signals, and most probably they will be alot better behaved not only at home but at school too.

but thats just my opinion.

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

Letting your kids know that your family sticks together no matter what, even if the parents split up you are still a family..they will always have family to turn to and to love and love them back.

Showing and telling your kids they are the greatest kids in the world and you love them more than anything and letting them know they can come to you with any problem they may have.

Keeping open the lines of communication with the kids. Drawing the line, setting limits because this shows them that you care.

It's not about YOU as a parent, it is about them as KIDS.

LaughMachine

You made a great list of things as to be a good parent !

I wish my parents as growing up explained things to me before and punished me more often. I have a sense of responsibility on my own, but still wish they did more.

I wish my dad had talked to me more as growing up because lack of communication causes so much problems. But that is only because he worked a great deal to support our family!

I'm not trying to make this a pity party.

My parents are great parents and I love them. When I have children someday, I hope to learn from the lack my parents did and do that for my children just so they grow up properly.

Set boundaries for your children, never let them get away with too much! They become rotten little apples.

I think most of the basics have already been mentioned. The cardinal rules in our home are respect, teamwork, communication, and honesty. Not just from one of us, but from all of us. Above all I try my best to remember to be a role model, children are great at pointing out the slightest bit of hypocrisy, and I don't argue with them. When they catch me breaking a rule, I admit it.

I get compliments now and then, about how well behaved my kids are. I'm never quite sure what to say, the way I see it... I am proud of my kids, they are good people and I don't think I had as much to do with it as people think. All I really did was do my best to show them how special and wonderful they really are. I don't tell them to be good, I just remind them to be themselves that's all...

If you tell a child they are bad, ugly, stupid, or fat... they will believe you. It works the other way too... Using words to hurt another person is never acceptable. There are no bad words, only bad intentions.