Help plz, my sister is mad at me

mopar crazy

mopar crazy

Last Fri my bil asked me if I would take his girls swimming tomorrow as him and my sis are going camping alone and their girls want to go swimming at the new pool as they haven't been there yet. I told him I would. He offered to pay my way in plus my kids for doing it.

This morning my sister called and asked me how much it was. I told her and she said she would give me $10 and the extra $4 her girls could have snack. I didn't mention bil offering to pay our way in b/c I didn't want to step on any toes. I told my sister that it will cost $8 for me and dd (not including snacks or drinks which we don't need) and me being on unemployment I can't afford to go so was wondering if I could just drop her girls off alone w/ my dd. She said she was uncomfortable about me not being there. Kids can go swimming w/o an adult at the age of 7, her girls are 8 1/2 and 10. I told her that even though it's $5 I just can't spend that money needlessly, I have bills, food, and gas to pay for. She got pissy and said she would call me back and hung up. She never called. I ran into her at Walmart and said hi and she acted all ticked off, wouldn't talk to me, wouldn't even look at me after that. I know it's only $8 for dd and I to swim but that $8 could buy us food or go to other neccesities, such as school supplies.

I called my mom to see how she was doing and she said my sister had just left and she told my mom about me and my sister told my mom that my bil told her "The girls can just drown then" meaning they weren't going to pay my way into the pool. I am doing them a favor by taking their kids to the pool and I am not charging them for watching them, at least they could do is stand by their offer and pay our way in. Am I way off base here w/ that?

Wow...

Well on one hand this is a favour to your Sister and her Husband and he (your BIL) did offer to pay for you to go as well... seems that he didn't mention this to your Sister...

I guess the way I look at it is your Sister should've offered to pay for you to go as well knowing you are not employed at this time, not to mention the fact that this is a favour to her...

I guess the other thing is this though... My Little Peeps are 5 and 8 and there isn't any way I would allow them to go to a public pool without an adult regardless of what the pool rules and policies state.

IMO the ages of your Sisters Kid's is still to young as well to be in a public pool without adult supervision... it isn't about them drowning, it's IMO a matter of safety... who's to say someone at the pool wouldn't snatch them up? My BF's daughter is 10 years old and I know there isn't any way in hell he would allow her to be at a public pool either without a trusted adult there...

So with that said... Perhaps you should call your Sister and explain to her that you really wanted to take her Kiddo's to the pool but because of finances at this time, you couldn't justify spending the extra money when your Daughter needs school supplies, and that you wouldn't feel good about dropping her Children off at the pool alone without you there to make sure they were good to go... offer to keep her Kid's for her if she would still like you to, but explain that you will be unable to take them to the pool and will have to find another activity for them to do so you're not strapped financially.

• Author
mopar crazy

Thanks Merin. My sister called shortly after I posted this. She said it was ok if I just dropped them off and I told her there was several lifeguards there. We live in a small community. As for your dd being 5 and going alone, I wouldn't do that either. My kids didn't start going alone until this year and they are 10 and 11 1/2. Anyhow, I told my sister I was strapped for money and asked if I could just bring them out to my house to swim as we have a 12 foot wide Ez pool like she does. She told me her girls really wanted to go to the new pool and it was ok if I just dropped them off w/ my dd. She didn't offer to pay my dd's way in. My dd said she didn't need any snack or drink so that will save some $.

I guess it just ticks me off about the whole situation. She watched my kids twice a week last summer and I paid her almost $200 each month. I have watched her girls and never charged her, nor would I. I am doing a favor by driving into town (I live in the country) to take her girls to the pool. She could be decent about it and pay my dd's and my way into the pool.

I just hope it doesn't rain. I really don't want to bring her girls out to my place. The last time I did that they fought like cats and dogs. My youngest niece is a bully.

Originally posted by mopar crazy

Thanks Merin. My sister called shortly after I posted this. She said it was ok if I just dropped them off and I told her there was several lifeguards there. We live in a small community. As for your dd being 5 and going alone, I wouldn't do that either. My kids didn't start going alone until this year and they are 10 and 11 1/2. Anyhow, I told my sister I was strapped for money and asked if I could just bring them out to my house to swim as we have a 12 foot wide Ez pool like she does. She told me her girls really wanted to go to the new pool and it was ok if I just dropped them off w/ my dd. She didn't offer to pay my dd's way in. My dd said she didn't need any snack or drink so that will save some $.

I guess it just ticks me off about the whole situation. She watched my kids twice a week last summer and I paid her almost $200 each month. I have watched her girls and never charged her, nor would I. I am doing a favor by driving into town (I live in the country) to take her girls to the pool. She could be decent about it and pay my dd's and my way into the pool.

I just hope it doesn't rain. I really don't want to bring her girls out to my place. The last time I did that they fought like cats and dogs. My youngest niece is a bully.

You're Welcome :)

I'm sorry your Sister is being so inconsiderate... honestly she should know better.

AND for real, I would never not pay for my own Niece to go to the pool with my Little Peeps... there have been many of times that My Sister has been financially compromised and I've bought things for her Daughter that she needed because I love my Niece and because I knew it tore my Sister up to not be able to provide for her...

I hope for you things go well and there isn't any rain :)