LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Familial > Family

My sister unfriended me because she found out on Facebook that I got hitched.

Family Parents too demanding? Sibling driving you mad? Tell us!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th February 2019, 11:46 AM   #1
Established Member

My sister unfriended me because she found out on Facebook that I got hitched.

After a week long engagement my husband and I decided to get hitched. I found out from my mom that my very adult, 40 year old sister is mad at my mom for not telling her about my marriage, that I told no one about. I told my parents the day of and they were happy for us. My sister, unfriends me on facebook and yells at my mom. My sister and I only communicate on facebook and only get together on major holidays; we're not that close. Should I even bother addressing this or should I just leave it? My sister and I live in different states. My husband and I are moving overseas in the summer. My sister has nothing against my husband, she has always been the type for dramatics. Opinions?
1Jessie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 11:51 AM   #2
Established Member

It depends on how important your relationship with your sister is to you. You're not close, so there is no reason to wade into the weeds on this unless you want to try and improve things.
Finding my way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 11:51 AM   #3
Established Member

You hurt her, why did you do that?
elaine567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 12:04 PM   #4
Established Member

I have 5 siblings, all of which I am not close with. Excuse me if it didn't cross my mind to contact her specifically to notify her of our plans?
Old 17th February 2019, 12:26 PM   #5
Established Member

I haven't talked to my sister in 25+ years and don't plan on it. Its had zero effect on my life.

Going forward, I would only contact her if some medical condition arose that was hereditary and I thought she should be made aware of it. We have no medical history regarding our mother's side of the family, so we are kind of "flying blind" as we enter old age.

My advice... Bye-Bye sis... Go have fun with your husband in your new locale.
Old 17th February 2019, 1:53 PM   #6
Established Member

I would just send her a sweet note saying, "Awww, please don't be mad. We're just in our own little world and didn't do anything special and just wanted to make it legal. Love, ____."
Old 17th February 2019, 2:48 PM   #7
Established Member

I kind of like this idea, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by preraph View Post
I would just send her a sweet note saying, "Awww, please don't be mad. We're just in our own little world and didn't do anything special and just wanted to make it legal. Love, ____."
Old 17th February 2019, 2:59 PM   #8
Established Member

I guess you could address it. Maybe tell her you didn’t tell/invite anyone and that it wasn’t personal. My brother and I are a little closer than you sound like you are with your siblings, but I don’t really expect him to factor my feelings into his decision making.

Unfriending you on social media was a petty move on her part.
losangelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 6:30 PM   #9
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Jessie86 View Post
I have 5 siblings, all of which I am not close with. Excuse me if it didn't cross my mind to contact her specifically to notify her of our plans?
You have the right to do whatever you want - as long as you understand those choices have consequences.

Every family is different. In my family, excluding other members from knowing about and participating in an occasion like a wedding would be a top-shelf slight.

Is it so hard to understand your siblings feelings might be hurt by not knowing about your wedding?

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 6:34 PM   #10

I think it is worth trying to keep her happy so send her a note or smth and say sorry for not telling her if for nothing else do it if you ever need her help from her
Olivia_daviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 9:06 PM   #11
Established Member

Since you don't care about her in real life, why should you care about her on FB?

I don't pretend to understand your relationship dynamic. It seems awfully sad to me. I can see why your sister is hurt but she's not important to you so leave her be.

If I'm wrong & she is somewhat important to you, apologize. Perhaps plan a small party for next weekend with all of your family so they can share in your joy. But frankly to leave her out of your special day seems callous. Until now she may not have known how trivial she was to you because that is what your secrecy looks like to her.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 5:13 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preraph View Post
It worked! We're good now, thanks.
Old 19th February 2019, 5:54 PM   #13
Established Member

Yay! She's just probably been feeling left out since you got a man. You'll have to invite her for a stayover soon and have some girl time with her!
preraph is offline   Reply With Quote