LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Familial > Family

Members who were NOT the favorite child ??

Family Parents too demanding? Sibling driving you mad? Tell us!

Like Tree6Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th February 2019, 8:09 AM   #1

Members who were NOT the favorite child ??

Whoever on here that knew that they were NOT the favorite child name a situation or two that you remember from childhood and up to now. ???
Old 13th February 2019, 1:27 PM   #2
PRW
Established Member

Location: In Illinois, within driving distance of the St Louis, MO area
What if you were an only child and still not the favorite?
Old 13th February 2019, 1:50 PM   #3
Established Member

Im the youngest of six. My mom use to tell me that even if I was born first Id still be the last.
Old 13th February 2019, 1:54 PM   #4
Established Member

My sister was the favorite, but considering that I drove my parents bat**** crazy with all the stuff I pulled as a kid, that's probably fair.
Old 13th February 2019, 4:22 PM   #5
Established Member

I believe favoritism ruins family relationships. My mother outright told me my older brother was her favorite. She said she favored him by default because he was (wrongfully) diagnosed with cystic fibrosis when he was a child (he's a healthy 60+ year old, so....) I understood that at the time. My brother was that kid who would yes you to death and promise to do his chores, and never finish anything. He could do no wrong in her eyes, though. I was the one who rebelled at every turn, complained about doing chores, but I did them. He joined the Navy when he was 19 years old and got kicked out because of his poor behavior. My sole purpose for going into the Navy was to show my mother I could be successful where he failed. I lost my mom in 1992. Not long before then, she did "confess" to me that I had become her favorite.

I make sure my daughters know I do NOT favor one of them over the other. There are special things about each of them that I love that makes them unique, but I love them all equally and make sure they know that.
Old 14th February 2019, 6:48 PM   #6
Established Member

Both my son's claim the other is the favourite, they are both my favourites!!
The older son was "easier" (well behaved, never caused any trouble) but the younger son is more thoughtful and selfless...so I have favourite parts of each of their personalities.
Old 14th February 2019, 9:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs rubble View Post
Both my son's claim the other is the favourite, they are both my favourites!!
The older son was "easier" (well behaved, never caused any trouble) but the younger son is more thoughtful and selfless...so I have favourite parts of each of their personalities.

You sound like the perfect Mother when it comes to this subject
Old 14th February 2019, 11:09 PM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suckstobeme93 View Post
Whoever on here that knew that they were NOT the favorite child name a situation or two that you remember from childhood and up to now. ???
If this topic weighs on your mind in your 20's, is it something you've ever spoken to a counselor or therapist about? At some point, have to let it go...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 16th February 2019, 3:09 PM   #9
Established Member

I was the least favorite, but there were no favorites. All three of us were treated without much respect, to say the least. Name calling and disdain. I forced myself to live with it, and it is something children always remember like a bad scar.

Examples: my entire childhood, every week. Then my 20's also.
Old 16th February 2019, 3:27 PM   #10
Established Member

No favourites when my 2 sisters and I were growing up. We are now all close to our parents and very close to each other as adults.

I have a son - he's my favourite boy - and a daughter - she is my favourite daughter.

Parents declaring they have a 'favourite' or a 'least favourite' among their kids is outright emotional abuse, to me.
Old 16th February 2019, 5:36 PM   #11
Established Member

I go with PRW - only child and not the favorite. My parents always put themselves first.
Old 16th February 2019, 6:33 PM   #12
Established Member

My mom enabled my sister because she was a premie with colic, a real challenge, and then she was used to being an only child. I came 7 years later. She didn't like it.

Mom always sided with her on everything, even as an adult, and yet she mostly didn't give our mom the time of day and did some nasty things. She spent her whole life sucking up to her trying to win her approval. My sister is a narcissist. She went so far when we were both adults to "remembering" bad things that happened that were my sister's doing and switching the story to blame me for it. I called her out on it at one TG dinner. Man, that made me mad.
Old 16th February 2019, 7:16 PM   #13
Established Member

I have two siblings and all three of us felt we were the least favorite, likely means we were treated the same, and only saw our childhood thru our own perspective.
Old 16th February 2019, 7:53 PM   #14
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKT3 View Post
, likely means we were treated the same, and only saw our childhood thru our own perspective.
Naturally...because none of us, in childhood or adulthood, has any other perspective/filter through which to see. Still, though, it is on each parent to help their child(ren) feel special and unique,
so this 'sense of self' that each of the three siblings developed, of being 'least favourite' is still on each parent, individually.

However, in adulthood (+18 or 21 years of age), as Mr. Lucky said, our own beliefs and thoughts, and sense and feelings, are on us, and on us alone.
We can't blame parents and/or siblings; we need to fix it, or to get professional help to help us fix it.
Old 16th February 2019, 8:13 PM   #15
Established Member

By no means am I saying my childhood was difficult, it was an amazing experience with wonderful but flawed parents. My point is from each of our own perspective we all felt we were the least favorite. I imagine this would be the same for most, meaning that those parents actually had no favoritism. Its human nature to blame any and every one or thing for difficulties in life, most often its inaccurate. Even in childhood. Action create consequences. Awful children will most often have to be treated differently than those who aren't. I would call a parent that treats the differences the same incompetent as parents.
Closed Thread