Visited extended family and now I'm feeling extreme sadness...

purplesoccer34

purplesoccer34

I traveled to the other side of the world to see some relatives that I hadn't seen in almost a decade. I visited a few other cities before going to their place, and then spent a couple of days with them.

As soon as I stepped foot in their house, I instantly felt at ease and as comfortable as I would be in my own home. They treated me so well, and I got along with them so wonderfully that I became very very attached to them, very quickly. They are also such genuinely kind and likeable people. I have never truly felt this level and comfort and happiness with extended family before.

The day before it was time for me to leave, I felt a sudden and overwhelming feeling of sadness, because I knew I would miss them horribly. Right after I said bye to them in the airport and right after they had left, I sobbed uncontrollably. My biggest regret was not spending more time with them on my trip.

A few days have passed, and I feel just as sad as I did in the airport when I had to say bye. Even now, when I think about how kind they were to me, all I can do is cry. That might be because I don't think I have ever felt so loved and accepted in my own immediate family.

Most of the time, when I have to say bye to someone, I feel a little bit of sadness, but I get over it right away. However, this I'm just not able to get over. Partly because they live in a different country, and it's difficult for me to see them often. I know there are other ways of communicating and staying in touch, but it's of course, not the same as spending time in person.

This heavy emotion is weighing on me, and making me less productive than I would like to be. What can I do to move on?

Consider facetiming them so you could see them more often? My grandmother died last year and I facetimed her the month before her death, if I knew it was going to happen, I would have said something better than miss you, take care of your health, stay warm in the winter. I would also ponder the thought that everything is temporary, even our Sun. Consider mentally making that shift and celebrating temporariness - it brings an even greater urgency to live our own lives in happiness as much as possible.

Skype with them! Keep them close to your heart. It's okay to feel sad , just shows how much you care about them and how strong a connection there is between you all.