Refusal to stay with parents

TheBlingRing14

TheBlingRing14

Guy is coming up for New Years. Anyway it's a busy time of year, with the holidays and also with it being bowl season....there will be a lot of family/football time. So i told him he could stay with me and my family. It has the distinct positive of being free. Also, you know....I'd be there. Which I'd like to think is a perk.

So, the option is he gets a hotel/airbnb somewhere else, and I won't be staying with him. Or he could stay with us, and he will at least get to see me more. And, remember.....free. Also, it's clean and safe and comfortable and homemade food and so on.

He tells me point blank, he doesn't know where he is going to stay, but he won't be staying with us. Didn't even think about it. Didn't even want to discuss it.

Can you tell me why a guy would pass up free accommodations/yummy food/ quality time with his girl? It makes no sense to me. Why drive 6 hours to visit, and then stay somewhere else? It defeats the purpose.

How long have you been dating this guy? Have you ever met him in person?

Personally, I vastly prefer staying at a hotel or AirBNB than at someone's house, and more especially at someone's parent's house. I know I'll have a comfy bed, privacy, and am guaranteed at least some alone time to do what I want, eat what I want, don't have to wait in line for the bathroom, etc. While your parents may be great cooks, it might not be his kind of food. If he has never met your parents, that could also make it uncomfortable for him. So, don't take it personally. Is there some reason why you can't stay with him for a night or two?

• Like 1

How old are you 2? If you are living at home and younger he likely does not want to feel awkward around your folks.

• Like 1

He doesn't want to be perceived as a freeloader. He doesn't want to deal with your family in such an intense & intimate matter -- sharing a bathroom, having breakfast, seeing people in their PJs.

A few buck for a hotel room, privacy & an escape makes tons more sense then staying with a SOs family. Free isn't all it's cracked up to be.

• Like 3
thefooloftheyear

He's not ready to play house...

And a lot of people wouldn't like that scenario...Staying in a house with people you don't know is awkward for most people...

Leave him to do what he wants..

TFY

• Like 2

Many people do not care to sleep over at someones house. Be it they want a bit of their own space, prefer not to wake up in the morning among strangers, privacy ect. It doesn't sound odd at all he chooses not to sleepover.

• Like 1

How old are you and how long have you two been together?

Of course I would prefer not to stay in someone else's house, especially if they're parents. Awkward, gotta watch yourself to an extent, no privacy, no control over my choice of room, no control over my schedule, have to help clean up. IMO, hotel rooms are money well spent when you are traveling.

Personally, if I was you and you'd been together for a long enough time, I'd stay with him in his hotel room and spend time with him, given that he's driving for 6 hours to see you.

• Like 1
A few buck for a hotel room, privacy & an escape makes tons more sense then staying with a SOs family. Free isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Agreed. OP, rather than being irked, you should be giving him kudos for discretion, judgment and maturity...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2