Stepfather mad ,but why?

siren8272

So I was at my mom’s house visiting and my car battery died. My stepdad kept proclaiming he knew it was the battery in an almost smug tone. I proceeded to try to ignore him and started to call the insurance company for road side assistance. This way I could not only get a jump but could check to see if the battery was bad. My stepdad proceeded to start screaming at me talking about it was going to cost money. I calmly informed him that this service would be free of charge bc of the extra 20.00 per month I pay. He continued to scream talking about the battery and what if I was on the side of the road. One again I want to remind you that roadside assistance was on the way. Well they finally came jumped the batter off after testing it. Turns out the battery went bad. So as the guy drove off I informed my mother I would be going to get a new battery. My stepdad just loses it crying and screaming “can’t nobody tell you nothing” I told you it was the battery” again we had already established this.

My mother begs me to apologize to him(for what I don’t know) I did because she asked me. So then we went to get a battery with stepdad in tow . He was loudly pointing out the battery that I needed(I know already because Ive replaced the battery before in this car). I buy a battery and quickly go home because I can feel myself getting ready to get rude.

My mother later phones saying my stepdad was upset because I didn’t ask him for help. My issue is why would I he never offered to jump me off all he did was scream and act smug. Besides if he wanted to really help he would have offered to pay the 140 for the battery. He didn’t even install it the man at the store did. So my question is what do you lot think? Is he pissed I didn’t need his help? Shouldn’t he be happy I didn’t ask him because under normal circumstances he wouldn’t budge? When you get to be older do the concept of logic and reasoning leave you?

May I ask how old you are? And I take it you don't live with your mom and step dad.. How long have they been married?

His freakout there makes me wonder if he has anger issues. Or is one that has to be right and is preachy many of times! His (over) reaction was out of line. I doubt it was just about the battery. Seems very weird, especially your mom asking you to apologize to him? For what? You did nothing wrong! If anything he should apologize to you for being rude and pissy.

• Like 1
  • Author
May I ask how old you are? And I take it you don't live with your mom and step dad.. How long have they been married?

His freakout there makes me wonder if he has anger issues. Or is one that has to be right and is preachy many of times! His (over) reaction was out of line. I doubt it was just about the battery. Seems very weird, especially your mom asking you to apologize to him? For what? You did nothing wrong! If anything he should apologize to you for being rude and pissy.

Oh My Goodness whichwayisup remember me im twinkletoes26 from a long time ago. Im the one whose mother refused to take her to job interviews and such. Im 30+ now . Yes hes been a tool for a long time,but when I got here people thought I was just exaggerating. Remember my thread about my finding him a job and he refusing to take a job despite being unemployed. Yup thats me ....They have been married now almost 20+ yrs. She has confided in me that fiances and companionship had a part in it. I would personally rather be alone.She and I argue about my being fine with being single at my age. So im assuming with this back information older members can see I was not just complaining about nothing. My stepdad has always been a tool. All I did was visit my mother. Maybe I will just ask her to meet me in a place away from the house.

Besides if he wanted to really help he would have offered to pay the 140 for the battery.

He indeed seems to be a jerk but this comment seems strange. Hoping he'd pay for the battery only undermines your independence...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
  • Author
He indeed seems to be a jerk but this comment seems strange. Hoping he'd pay for the battery only undermines your independence...

Mr. Lucky

I never said I hoped he would pay I am merely pointing out if he was truly trying to help this would have been one way another would have been to offer to jump my car. He did none of that just decided to fuss....trust I paid every dime for this battery just as I have done many many many times before. My stepdad just wanted to be a self righteous arsehat.

Indeed, if this is the stepfather who wishes death on you and your mother, it’s quite obvious that this is just another example of his manipulative and abusive behavior.

The best way to deal with this is to avoid dealing with him as much as possible. If you mother chooses to have this man in her life, that is her choice. It doesn’t mean that you have to cater to his every bad mood and entitled demand...

• Like 1