What is wrong with my father?

RILEY82

I have had to move back in my parents house (due to not being able to afford my flat due to losing my job and my new job min wage)

But this is question is about my fathers mental health.

My father records his dvds on to blank dvds over and over again.

He sleeps on the sofa he licks his plate clean.

He pauses the washing machine mid cycle he flushes food/tea bags down the toilet instead of putting in the bin.

He constantly one ups and steals money to get dvds.

He says he goes for a 3 mile walk everyday when he has been caught sitting in the car eating chocolate.

He tells people he is a paramedic and he is rich (when he is not) He creates people who do not exist.

When i used to have my flat he would try to break in to my safe or brag he has. (i have had to get one because he steals money)

He eats out of a jug he has behaved this way his whole life.

He says he can walk 12 miles in 30 mins he is not joking it is all brag/lies with him.

A bit quirky for sure but I've heard worse.

People are strange.

The key is whether or not he is expressing a significant change in behavior and if so, is it to the point that it's posing a threat to his own health and safety or to others?

The stealing seems to be the most serious issue. Imaginary friends could be a close second depending on how departed from reality he really is.

• Like 1

Perhaps your focus should be on being happy and grateful your parents, father included, have provided a place to live at a time when you seem to need it...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2
  • Author
Perhaps your focus should be on being happy and grateful your parents, father included, have provided a place to live at a time when you seem to need it...

Mr. Lucky

I am very lucky and thankful to my parents.

I am just worried about my fathers health that is why i am asking advice about it.

I am very lucky and thankful to my parents.

I am just worried about my fathers health that is why i am asking advice about it.

His lying seems to bother you quite a bit even though it doesn't directly affect you.

littleblackheart

I totally get that you are concerned about your father's mental health; it's natural to worry about your parents. Have you talked about it with your mother? Is she concerned too?

littleblackheart
I have spoken to my mother and she is worried about him.

The lies my dad says causes a lot of trouble for the family.

It can't be easy for you as a family. Do you think you can team up with your mother to try and show him how much of an impact his behaviour has on the family? Would he be amenable to talk to someone about it?

Sounds like he's trading CDs with someone. Or selling them.

He does sound quirky. He might have some mental issues. His lying is certainly kind of a personality disorder. Flushing stuff down the toilet is going to catch up with him. Not sure what you can do about it except if he does something dangerous, try to get him evaluated. P.S. the toilet is going to back up. It's only a matter of time.

• Like 1
  • Author

Hi thanks for all the responses.

I can understand the recording if he is trading them or even selling them (I know it is wrong) But he just puts them in the shed in a box.

I am worried as the doctor told him he has to do more excersize as he has to take morphine for his blood but he keeps telling the doctor he goes to the gym daily and he tells my mother the same but one time i seen him sitting in the car eating chocolate bars in the supermarket car park even the neighbours have seen him sitting in the car down the bottom of the street when he tells us he has been to the gym.

He has to eat healthier he has been told by the doctors he says they do not know what they are talking about he is out smarting them.

Well, if he's on morphine, there's your answer. He's addicted to heroin, basically. You said "for his blood." What is the morphine for. Usually it is only for chronic debilitating pain. The kind of pain you'd have trouble going to the gym with.

I am worried as the doctor told him he has to do more excersize as he has to take morphine for his blood.

People don't take morphine for their blood, as the other poster said, it's for chronic debilitating pain for conditions that are not curable or responsive to treatment. If you truly care about your father you would accompany him to his doctor visits, get permission to be informed of his condition, know what his medications are and what they're used for, and what possible side effects and symptoms there might be to watch for.

• Author

My father has to take warfarin tablets (He told me morphine but i looked on his bottle whoch holds the tablets)

If he does not take them and eat healthier he can be seriously ill.

The hospital has gave him a sheet what to eat as i have mentioned about eating healthier to him he just says they know nothing.

I have been to the hospital with him but he will NOT let me in the room.

I have set the reminder on his phone as a alarm to remind him when he has to take his tablets.

I cannot always go to the hospital with him as sometimes i am at work.

He will not eat salad or fruit and will throw it down the toilet and cook himself fried food or eat unhealthy things (Chocolates/Cakes etc).

He can get blood clots and maybe even a stroke if he does not take his tablets.

Edited by RILEY82