How do I tell my parents to stop deciding for me?

vinceQ1

I’m already at the age where I’m mature enough and can be held accountable for any concern I have in life. I have reliable work, which takes me to a foreign country of my choosing and enough salary that can support my needs 24/7. Everything is almost fine, but I have a problem with my parents.

They keep on deciding for me. They decide on what I should do with my life, including living abroad with them. They’re already settled in a foreign country and want the whole family to live with them. You see, my life is here and I just can’t resign from the company that has trusted me for many years. How do I tell my parents to stop this act? This is not getting any better and I’m getting really frustrated!

Just tell them that they raised you well and its time for you to leave the nest.

Point out how you've grown and how your life is going (in a positive direction) thank them for their concern. Tell them you are ready to make your own decisions, whether they are right or wrong. We all learn by our mistakes, so its OK to make them and learn from them.

If you are happy living where you are, tell them "Thank you for the offer, but I'm staying here... See you at Christmas"

It is normal to want to be independent!!

• Like 1
How do I tell my parents to stop deciding for me?

Your post would be better titled "Why do I let my parents decide my life for me?".

This is on you, not on them. If you're indeed a fully grown, self-supporting adult, then you're fully capable of exercising your own independence and making your own decisions.

The only one stopping you is you...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2

My mother used to tell me what to do. I stood up to her, she didn't like it much, she sulked for a while, but I held firm and she came around.

I think you need to do the same.

• Like 1
  • Author
Your post would be better titled "Why do I let my parents decide my life for me?".

This is on you, not on them. If you're indeed a fully grown, self-supporting adult, then you're fully capable of exercising your own independence and making your own decisions.

The only one stopping you is you...

Mr. Lucky

Have you ever been threatened to get disowned? Coz I did and even if I want to decide for myself, I still dont want to mess up the connection we have.

Have you ever been threatened to get disowned? Coz I did and even if I want to decide for myself, I still dont want to mess up the connection we have.

My mother has stopped talking to me for up to a month at a time over things I did or didn't do that she didn't agree with, she always came around eventually....the last time she even admitted I was right!

• Like 1

I had not talked to my mother in almost 10 years. Only recently were we forced to talk, as my father was in the hospital. The 10 years of no communication did not affect my life in the very least. Prior to our 10 year silence, I hadn't talked to her that much either. Just exchanged pleasantries, etc. The umbilical cord has been cut a long time ago, you'll survive just fine without your mommy. Oh... and they will not disown you, they may threaten to, but they won't do it.

Like poster "mrs rubble" wrote... your mom will come around.

Live your life your way... you only get one life. Enjoy it to the fullest!!

I still dont want to mess up the connection we have.

You mean the one where they tell you how to run your life?

vinceQ1, you have a decision to make and, as an adult, we understand those decisions have consequences. You can either toe the line and spend the rest of your life posting unhappy threads on sites like this, or you can choose to be your own man.

I think the other posters are spot on in stating the alienation will be less than you currently imagine it to be...

Mr. Lucky

You have 2 choices.

Continue to follow their instructions to the letter, or live your own life.

Yes you risk them cutting you off but that's the price of freedom.

At some point you have to cut the apron strings. If they tell you that they will disown you, you tell them you are sorry they are so inflexible & you will miss them. You let them move. You keep in touch with other family members & you send them holiday & birthday cards. Eventually they should come around.

You just have to tell them NO. Tell them you are not moving, that you are happy and successful where you are. Tell them "I'm not a little boy anymore. While I appreciate your input, I make my own decisions now because I'm a grown man.

If they are that controlling, then you'd be well rid of them. However, I would point out to them that they must have made their own choices at some point, and you are also at that point. I don't see what they hope to achieve by telling you what to do. Unless there is a very good, very valid reason to heed them (NOT for money or inheritance, IMO), do what you think is right for you, and let the chips fall as they may. If they "disown" you, do not have anything further to do with them, do not call, do not write, and certainly do not visit. Do not let them know anything more about your life. They would need to let go of this unhealthy obsession, and contact you, before you should consider responding.

That’s not a connection, that’s a prison. You need to put a stop to it and if they make that choice, then let them. It’s doubtful that they’ll maintain it. What is up with people who do this to their kids??!!

I've been nomadic all of my life. I was out on my own at 18. Not long after that I made my first major move. My father was concerned & scared for me, but he didn't tell me that. A few years later, he told me he thought it was healthy for an adult child to move at least 500 miles away from their parents; that it taught them to make good decisions and have their own safety net.

I'm hopeful that your parents will change their tune and feel the same way.

She might not go through with the threat. If your mom is threatening I disown you over where you live, that is a toxic relationship. That is extreme to disown a child over that.