Mom has bad neighbours but wont move.

fromheart

So my Mom is in her 70's, fit and able and totally independent.

Unfortunately she has bad neighbors, though nothing criminal has happened as such, she has been made to feel unsafe in her back yard.

The police have been notified, bu there not that helpful, only if something bad actually does happen will they respond. I'm exploring legal action, starting documentation etc.

Thing is, on the long run these type of things rarely get better.

I've told my Mom plainly, the only really effective long term solution is to move. She doesn't want to though, and wont be chased away. Good on her for standing up for herself. But she's going to get older. The neighbors could get worse.

Bottom line, I want to see her in a better area and she wont move.

Any advice and experience appreciated.

What happened? Did she have an argument with her neighbors? If, like you say, she’s an independent woman, I don’t think you’ll be able to change her mind, despite her age.

• Like 1

Leave her be & buy her a security system -- motion sensor lights, a burglar alarm & maybe one of those cameras where you can see who is at the door from your phone.

It's her life. She's been there a long time. Change is scary.

As long as she has all her faculties, she's an adult who is allowed to make her own decisions even if you disagree with them.

• Like 1

Moving is tiresome, time-consuming, costly, and just flat out a pain. Give your mom some credit for knowing her own mind and don’t add to her frustrations by coercing her into moving, or judging her about not moving.

• Like 1
  • Author
Moving is tiresome, time-consuming, costly, and just flat out a pain. Give your mom some credit for knowing her own mind and don’t add to her frustrations by coercing her into moving, or judging her about not moving.

Very true, she really does react if I suggest moving.

Its a lot of worry and anger that I am going through, takes a lot of restraint to not just lay into the neighbor. Im not going to do that, but that does go through my head.

I work overseas sometimes, may have to consider cancelling that.

But yeah, as all 3 of you are saying it is her life and her decision.

Edited by fromheart

There are bad neighbors everywhere. Even if she moves, whats to say the next home won't have a hooligan next door.

I flipped a lot of houses in my life and there was always at least one bad neighbor.

Unless your going to move her to a 100 acre lot on the side of a mountain, she is going to have neighbors.

I like "d0nnivain's" suggestion regarding the security system, camera(s), etc.

• Like 1