I heard my mom and dad fighting last night. Should I do?

lovelydaughter

lovelydaughter

Last night, I heard my parents fighting about this problem we’ve been facing for two weeks already - financial problem. I heard my dad screaming because his business is failing already and my mom is not supporting him the way a wife should do. A foreign feeling of fear came to me last night, knowing that my dad may have slapped my mom since she’s crying so hard. What should I do? My work is not enough to support our family and how can I help my dad’s business survive? I need your suggestions please!

Even if you can't support your family with what you make can you contribute financially to the household. You know, food, utilities, etc. Does your mom work also?

Last night, I heard my parents fighting about this problem we’ve been facing for two weeks already - financial problem. I heard my dad screaming because his business is failing already and my mom is not supporting him the way a wife should do. A foreign feeling of fear came to me last night, knowing that my dad may have slapped my mom since she’s crying so hard. What should I do? My work is not enough to support our family and how can I help my dad’s business survive? I need your suggestions please!

Two weeks with financial problems is nothing, they were probably just stressed and taking it out on each other. Your parents don't need help getting out of their financial hole. They'll do what is necessary, they'll close the company or file bankruptcy. What ever they do it's not your burden to carry. If you are a working adult then you should already be paying a monthly amount to your parents for room, food, etc.

If your father has never hit your mom then why would you jump to that conclusion so fast with no evidence?

Now that the storm has passed you can tell your mom you're sorry for their difficulties and offer her to help anyway she'd like.

When your dad is not around, ask your mom, "Did dad hit you?" I mean, maybe she hit him, or maybe what you heard was someone slapping the tabletop, but I'm sorry. I know how fearful it is listening to that. My parents just paralyzed me with fear with their fights. But don't take it on. I mean, my dad did hit my mom once that I saw and I was only about 12, but I told him he shouldn't have done it and made him feel bad. But otherwise, these are adult problems and let's hope they get better soon.

• Author
lovelydaughter
Even if you can't support your family with what you make can you contribute financially to the household. You know, food, utilities, etc. Does your mom work also?

Yes, I can. Since I was working, I have been paying the water and electricity bills. My doesn't work. She only stays at home.

• Author
lovelydaughter
When your dad is not around, ask your mom, "Did dad hit you?" I mean, maybe she hit him, or maybe what you heard was someone slapping the tabletop, but I'm sorry. I know how fearful it is listening to that. My parents just paralyzed me with fear with their fights. But don't take it on. I mean, my dad did hit my mom once that I saw and I was only about 12, but I told him he shouldn't have done it and made him feel bad. But otherwise, these are adult problems and let's hope they get better soon.

Yeah, I was planning to but my mom seldom goes out of their room since that incident happened. But I will talk to them regarding this. Thank you!

• Author
lovelydaughter
Two weeks with financial problems is nothing, they were probably just stressed and taking it out on each other. Your parents don't need help getting out of their financial hole. They'll do what is necessary, they'll close the company or file bankruptcy. What ever they do it's not your burden to carry. If you are a working adult then you should already be paying a monthly amount to your parents for room, food, etc.

If your father has never hit your mom then why would you jump to that conclusion so fast with no evidence?

Now that the storm has passed you can tell your mom you're sorry for their difficulties and offer her to help anyway she'd like.

I will talk to them regarding this matter when my mom's ready. I have noticed that she seldom talks and goes out of their room since that happened. But I will find a solution to this. Thanks!

2 weeks of financial stress is hardly the end of the world.

You don't know that your dad slapped your mom. You said you had a feeling of dread. You didn't even say that you heard the slap connect. Not everybody who raises their voice during an argument is physically violent. My parents fought all the time; it was their loud Irish nature. They were happily married for almost 50 years before my mom passed away.

Don't assume your dad was violent. Do ask your mom & support her to get out if there was physical violence but if there wasn't calm down.

As for the household, do you have a budget? If not sit down with mom & make one. See what can be cut. If mom doesn't work, help her to find a job. Every little bit helps.

If you know anything about business talk to your dad. Perhaps re-write or write a business plan / new marketing plan for him. Update his business website. Can you pitch in at his company once in a while to help out? Can mom? Give dad links to available resources. In the US that can include the local SBA, SBDC, and entrepreneurial MeetUps. Perhaps he can join a LeTip or a BNI group to exchange leads.