Family Vacation: Sleeping Arrangements

Otter2569

GF and I are talking about taking our kids on a cruise. Her daughter is 14. My boys are 16 & 19. We have taken one long weekend together as a group. We generally get along well. Her daughter has the more volatile personality: she can be moody and sulks/ complains if she does not get her way.

GF thinks She, her daughter and I should room together and my boys should have their own room. Honestly, I do not like the idea of rooming with her daughter. It feels awkward to me plus I hear that ship rooms are also VERY small. I would feel more comfortable rooming with my sons.

How can I bring this up without hurting any feelings?

I would just tell her, you feel more comfortable staying with your sons. It seems reasonable to me, I would do the same in your position.

It is only a week, I presume. I'm sure she can live without you in bed beside her for a week... ;)

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

I totally agree with YOU. Cruises have teen nightclubs, so chances are the three of them might end up there together for a few hours so you and your GF could have some alone time in the room once or twice.

My super shy, introverted, and anxious teenager went on a cruise with her dad last summer and even she managed to go to the teen nightclub alone one night. They will make their way there :).

• Like 1

Bring the daughter's friend along (assuming she has one close enough), and they can have their own cabin, just like the boys. Problem solved - although it adds costs.

• Like 1
Honestly, I do not like the idea of rooming with her daughter. It feels awkward to me plus I hear that ship rooms are also VERY small. I would feel more comfortable rooming with my sons.

I think mom is ignoring the fact that daughter doesn't want to room with you either. Most cruise ship cabins are +/- 150 SF so spring for an extra cabin or go boys/girls as you'd suggested...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2
  • Author

We have never been on a cruise before but I hear they are a lot of fun and you really do not spend much time in your room. I know the kids will have fun and plenty to do so we can sneak in some adult time.

Unless we have 3 rooms (more cost) I just don't see how the three of us being packed in be like sardines, will be enjoyable for anyone of us.

Why would her teenage daughter feel comfortable sharing a tiny room with mom’s boyfriend? What was the mother thinking?

• Like 3

Boys with the Boys and Girls with the Girls...that is the way is should always be unless it can't be done.

Better for all parties involved...

• Like 1

Here's an easy out: show her the cruise contract. Under the terms of passage, the kids can't stay in a cabin by themselves. An adult must be the registered occupant of the cabin. Granted people shove their kids in the cabin alone all the time but technically that is a violation of the cruise ship's rules.

• Like 2

I am concerned that her mother would even want you to share a room with her daughter. I don't mean this to offend you - of course you wouldn't do anything wrong - but it just feels extremely inappropriate to me, would be very uncomfortable for the daughter, and this is the kind of thing that you would expect a mother to be sensitive to.

If she is hurt by you suggesting that she room with her daughter, I would not have a very good impression of her.

• Like 2
  • Author

Its all idle talk at the moment since we are just gathering information and not planning on going for many months. The rooming arrangement talk just caught me off guard. I agree that this possible rooming arrangement cant be comfortable for anyone young or old, male or female.

I am concerned that her mother would even want you to share a room with her daughter. I don't mean this to offend you - of course you wouldn't do anything wrong - but it just feels extremely inappropriate to me, would be very uncomfortable for the daughter, and this is the kind of thing that you would expect a mother to be sensitive to.

If she is hurt by you suggesting that she room with her daughter, I would not have a very good impression of her.

Agree. For her to suggest such an arrangement makes me really question this mother's judgment. She is putting her own needs ahead of her child, placing her daughter in an uncomfortable and potentially unsafe situation (if it was a different man).

Let's hope sanity prevails and she agrees with your decision if the time comes, so you can all enjoy a wonderful holiday together.

• Like 1
  • Author

I am sure GF is stuck between wanting to be together and not wanting to buy a room just for her daughter.

The girl can have a rather strong and outspoken personality so for everyone's safety and sanity we should not be confined to close quarters for a week :D

The girl can have a rather strong and outspoken personality so for everyone's safety and sanity we should not be confined to close quarters for a week :D

And one day out of spite she'll create a story that while on that cruise you touched her during the night. Be smart! You're an adult male, you have no business sleeping in a room with a teen girl .