I want my parents to get back together.

sadie1993

Since I was a child, my grandparents took care of me. My parents got divorced over a shallow reason or maybe I just didn’t know the truth behind their separation. After 20 years of being separated, my mother told me my dad started communicating with her. My dad didn’t remarry after a long time and so as my mom. However, they are in a bad blood situation as far as I can remember. I heard them one time arguing about international dating blogs. I didn’t know what happened between them. My father started to talk to my mom often when he visits in the house. I have no idea what’s going between them but I’m glad. Is that a good sign that there’s a bigger chance they’ll get back together? Please tell me it is.

bathtub-row

It’s a possibility but try not to get your hopes up. They may start dating again only to have it all fall apart once more. Still, the fact that they’re communicating is a good sign. Sometimes people split up for reasons that seem important at the time but later seem irrelevant.

How old are you?

• Like 1

By definition a child's perspective on their parents' relationship is skewed. You wanting them back together is the fairy tale. The reality of them together is probably a horror show.

Stay out of it. You, their kid, do not belong in the middle of their relationship even if you are the byproduct. You engage with them individually & love them separately.

• Like 3

I can completely understand why you would want your parents to get back together. In a similar situation, I would want exactly the same thing.

The fact that your parents are talking to each other and being friendly is a good thing. However, does not necessarily mean that they will get back together.

What goes on between two people in a relationship is only for those two people to know. It’s difficult for anyone looking in from the outside, especially a child who does not understand the history and the complexities of a relationship, to know what is really happening.

Sometimes, people are meant to be friends and not necessarily to be together. For some families, this is the best and healthiest option. Perhaps, a good thing to hope for is that they have a good relationship such that they respect each other and communicate well and that you have a good relationship with your parents such that you feel loved and supported by both parents.

Have a good day. Best wishes to you.

• Like 1
How old are you?

I had the same thought and question.

sadie1993, if the 20-year separation and year in your username are correct, you're 25 years old.

So other than a more pleasant atmosphere at the occasional family dinner, how does your parents marital status affect you :confused: ?

Mr. Lucky

• Author
It’s a possibility but try not to get your hopes up. They may start dating again only to have it all fall apart once more. Still, the fact that they’re communicating is a good sign. Sometimes people split up for reasons that seem important at the time but later seem irrelevant.

How old are you?

Thanks for this insight. I'm already 25 years old.

• Author
I can completely understand why you would want your parents to get back together. In a similar situation, I would want exactly the same thing.

The fact that your parents are talking to each other and being friendly is a good thing. However, does not necessarily mean that they will get back together.

What goes on between two people in a relationship is only for those two people to know. It’s difficult for anyone looking in from the outside, especially a child who does not understand the history and the complexities of a relationship, to know what is really happening.

Sometimes, people are meant to be friends and not necessarily to be together. For some families, this is the best and healthiest option. Perhaps, a good thing to hope for is that they have a good relationship such that they respect each other and communicate well and that you have a good relationship with your parents such that you feel loved and supported by both parents.

Have a good day. Best wishes to you.

Thanks a lot for this! This is such a great help for me.

• Author
I had the same thought and question.

sadie1993, if the 20-year separation and year in your username are correct, you're 25 years old.

So other than a more pleasant atmosphere at the occasional family dinner, how does your parents marital status affect you :confused: ?

Mr. Lucky

It affects me a lot. I am confused to be honest---maybe they still love each other but can't find themselves compatible.

maybe they still love each other but can't find themselves compatible.

This is true for lots of people - they like each other, but they are not compatible. Better that they realize that and remain friends, than get back together and stay in an unhappy and unhealthy relationship.

Time will tell for your parents. Let them sort it out. It is their decision and you would be wise to stay out of their romantic lives. Your place in this is just to love both of your parents, whether they are together or apart, and to live your own life. Do you go to school or work Sadie? Do you have a boyfriend of your own?

If your dad is using international dating sites, doesn't exactly sound like he's trying very hard to reconcile. Whatever problems they had, they will have again.

It affects me a lot. I am confused to be honest---maybe they still love each other but can't find themselves compatible.

Then maybe the issue isn't their relationship status but your reaction to it.

At 25, why isn't your focus your own life, goals and relationships?

Mr. Lucky