I want to move out but I have nothing?

I still live with my parents. My mom and dad live here plus my siblings. Its 8 kids in all my oldest sister is 23 and the youngest is 2. and My grandmothers stays here shes 85. I have been debating about moving out for 2 months but, I think i really want to now. I live in a 3 bedroom house with 11 other people. Its small but its been like this since I was little.

I sleep on a couch every night. I have a job making $16 an hour but, Im scared to move out because I might fail and I dont want to fail. As im getting older im noticing that I dont want to sleep on a couch any more I want my own room for once in my life. There are a few apartments in my area for rent for aorund $1000 with everything included ( rent,cable,internet,sewage,water) and I want to apply but something is holding me back.

Ive talked to my parents about moving and they think I might not do so good because Im going too fast. Another thing about moving is I dont have any furniture..I never have had my own bed, I dont have a tv, If i move the only thing i will have is my clothes.I have been buying little things here and there to start me off for my apartment but I dont know ? I have a car that I pay which is only $118 a month, and my car insurance is $100 a month

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Paragraphs
stillafool

Get a roommate to help you pay the rent. When I was young independence was the most important thing and I worked 2 jobs to have an apartment to myself. My friends all had roommates to split the rent and expenses but they all had their independence from their parents. You can do it just know you are going to have to work hard. Anything worth having is going to take work.

• Author
Get a roommate to help you pay the rent. When I was young independence was the most important thing and I worked 2 jobs to have an apartment to myself. My friends all had roommates to split the rent and expenses but they all had their independence from their parents. You can do it just know you are going to have to work hard. Anything worth having is going to take work.

Ive asked my oldest sibling to move in with me and I have one best friend but< My friend doesnt want to move in with me because they dont have a car yet and my sister doesnt have a job so I dont know what to do other than work my butt off

I grew up in a big family too.

I was the youngest but still felt like I had no independence.

I got a job at 19 and moved into a room sharing house with other strangers. It was cheaper rent but sharing bathroom, kitchen and TV room with strangers is actually worse than family at times.

If you could try sharing a 2 bed apartment with another person, it might be better. But be cautious of who you sign a lease with.

You definitely should not have the couch as a permanent bed, and if your parents can't get bunk beds or air mattress anything, then honestly, They aren't looking out for your best interests. You deserve a bed.

• Author
I grew up in a big family too.

I was the youngest but still felt like I had no independence.

I got a job at 19 and moved into a room sharing house with other strangers. It was cheaper rent but sharing bathroom, kitchen and TV room with strangers is actually worse than family at times.

If you could try sharing a 2 bed apartment with another person, it might be better. But be cautious of who you sign a lease with.

You definitely should not have the couch as a permanent bed, and if your parents can't get bunk beds or air mattress anything, then honestly, They aren't looking out for your best interests. You deserve a bed.

we only have 3 rooms they couldnt afford a bed nut now that im working i can but i sleep in the den I dont have a room to put my bed. and i have no one to move in with

we only have 3 rooms they couldnt afford a bed nut now that im working i can but i sleep in the den I dont have a room to put my bed. and i have no one to move in with

We only had 3 rooms too, 11 kids and 2 parents. We used bunk beds in the 2 rooms and parents had the other.

Maybe ask your parents about getting some bunk beds? How long have you been on the couch?

My only other suggestion would be to share with a boyfriend in the future.

I think if you parents are making you sleep on the couch then they could at least support you with you wanting to be independent. Maybe their hesitation has you doubting if you can really move out? Are you giving them any money?

stillafool

You can always advertise for a roommate. It would be best to get another female and run a credit check. If you are in school you can advertise on campus. You can and should be independent you just have to want it bad enough to make it happen.

• Author
You can always advertise for a roommate. It would be best to get another female and run a credit check. If you are in school you can advertise on campus. You can and should be independent you just have to want it bad enough to make it happen.

I personally dont think I should move in with some random

• Author
We only had 3 rooms too, 11 kids and 2 parents. We used bunk beds in the 2 rooms and parents had the other.

Maybe ask your parents about getting some bunk beds? How long have you been on the couch?

My only other suggestion would be to share with a boyfriend in the future.

I think if you parents are making you sleep on the couch then they could at least support you with you wanting to be independent. Maybe their hesitation has you doubting if you can really move out? Are you giving them any money?

well my mom has her own room , my grandmother has her own room and my four siblings share the last room everyone else sleeps on a couch. the rooms are really small so i really have to sleep in the den lol.

well my mom has her own room , my grandmother has her own room and my four siblings share the last room everyone else sleeps on a couch. the rooms are really small so i really have to sleep in the den lol.

Your mom should be on the couch.

She chose this situation, not you or your siblings.

You can afford to be independent, you have options.

You earn more than what I made, I lived on very little food for a while, couldn't afford a car, nothing. But I was happy, and that made up for everything else. I felt like a prisoner with my family.

I don't know what is holding you back, but sometimes you have to take as risk to be happy.

• Author
Your mom should be on the couch.

She chose this situation, not you or your siblings.

You can afford to be independent, you have options.

You earn more than what I made, I lived on very little food for a while, couldn't afford a car, nothing. But I was happy, and that made up for everything else. I felt like a prisoner with my family.

I don't know what is holding you back, but sometimes you have to take as risk to be happy.

well its always been like this , I would love to move in with someone to help me out but right now im by myself. but like i said i have nothing ..literally no bed , no tv .. i was thinking about financing furniture

At $16 per hour your take home is what, $2000 per month after taxes? To put 1/2 of that toward housing is a lot. If it does include cable, water, sewage & internet OK but what about utilities (lights) & heat? You also have a cell phone bill, probably. You need to eat. Can you cook? Because going out won't be an option. You say you are saving for a car but when you get one you have insurance, gas & maintenance. I really think you need a roommate.

Do NOT finance furniture. Yes the monthly payments are low at those rent a center places but once you get done with all the payment you paid triple for crappy stuff. Buy good second hand stuff for a fraction of the price. Do but new "soft" stuff like a mattress but you can put nice slip covers on a couch.

Edited by d0nnivain
  • Author
At $16 per hour your take home is what, $2000 per month after taxes? To put 1/2 of that toward housing is a lot. If it does include cable, water, sewage & internet OK but what about utilities (lights) & heat? You also have a cell phone bill, probably. You need to eat. Can you cook? Because going out won't be an option. You say you are saving for a car but when you get one you have insurance, gas & maintenance. I really think you need a roommate.

it includes electricity too. and it has central air included in rent as well. yes I cook. i already have a car im ahead in my payments which is $118 a month and my insurance is $100

Then the place sounds like a bargain but I'd make a budget before you do anything. Put some money in that budget for savings. You need an emergency fund in case things go wrong. At minimum it should be 1 month's worth of living expenses but more would be better.

• Author
Then the place sounds like a bargain but I'd make a budget before you do anything. Put some money in that budget for savings. You need an emergency fund in case things go wrong. At minimum it should be 1 month's worth of living expenses but more would be better.

what can i do about furniture ? i have nothing lol

Check out second hand shops like Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity. Garage sales & church tag sales also have great stuff. I got a lot of the furniture in my house that way. My bedroom set was $500 solid mahogany with tongue & groove dove tail joints. That set would have been thousands of dollars new, 40 years ago when they still made quality stuff like that. I got a beautiful executive desk $3,500 new for $40 at a church sale. It's like a treasure hunt. Also you don't have to furnish the whole house at once.

Do buy a new mattress & a new couch if you can afford one. If you can't a new couch, rent a steam cleaner & then cover the couch with a slip cover. I worry that you can't clean the soft stuff well but wood or metal you are fine.

• Author
Check out second hand shops like Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity. Garage sales & church tag sales also have great stuff. I got a lot of the furniture in my house that way. My bedroom set was $500 solid mahogany with tongue & groove dove tail joints. That set would have been thousands of dollars new, 40 years ago when they still made quality stuff like that. I got a beautiful executive desk $3,500 new for $40 at a church sale. It's like a treasure hunt. Also you don't have to furnish the whole house at once.

Do buy a new mattress & a new couch if you can afford one. If you can't a new couch, rent a steam cleaner & then cover the couch with a slip cover. I worry that you can't clean the soft stuff well but wood or metal you are fine.

thank you sooo much! i deff want a new bed especially since ive never had one

I'm also going to chime in that you really should try to find a roommate. If you don't know anyone, check on message boards for local colleges or online to try to find someone. Meet them in person, maybe hang out a few times, come up with a list of questions re: living habits to ask them in order to find someone compatible with you. Most people do not just move out and into their own place, so you will likely be able to find plenty of younger people who are looking for roommates.

Alternatively, can you find a cheaper apartment? All you need is a studio or bachelor at this point. IMO, $1000 is too much to devote to rent when you are only taking home about $2000 a month, pay $218 a month for your car, and also need to cover your phone, Internet, possibly water and gas, and other household expenses (cleaning supplies, toiletries, food). As another alternative, can you get a second job?

As far as furniture, check second hand stores and also get into your local Facebook garage sale groups and also get on the "Nextdoor" app. In my area, people are regularly selling and even giving away for free furniture and items they do not want anymore. You will have to find some way to transport any furniture you buy, though. You can also get cheap, basic furniture at places like Ikea and Target. You can also use these sites for kitchen supplies, rugs, bedding, towels, etc. You will find there are a lot of things you need when you move into your first place.

Alternatively, can you find a cheaper apartment? All you need is a studio or bachelor at this point. IMO, $1000 is too much to devote to rent when you are only taking home about $2000 a month, pay $218 a month for your car, and also need to cover your phone, Internet, possibly water and gas, and other household expenses (cleaning supplies, toiletries, food).

His rent includes all utilities so at $1,000 it's not a bad deal.

Twelve9, clia makes great points about all the stuff you will need at first: dishes, cleaning supplies, towels & sheets. It adds up. Have a budget for that before you move.

• Author
I'm also going to chime in that you really should try to find a roommate. If you don't know anyone, check on message boards for local colleges or online to try to find someone. Meet them in person, maybe hang out a few times, come up with a list of questions re: living habits to ask them in order to find someone compatible with you. Most people do not just move out and into their own place, so you will likely be able to find plenty of younger people who are looking for roommates.

Alternatively, can you find a cheaper apartment? All you need is a studio or bachelor at this point. IMO, $1000 is too much to devote to rent when you are only taking home about $2000 a month, pay $218 a month for your car, and also need to cover your phone, Internet, possibly water and gas, and other household expenses (cleaning supplies, toiletries, food). As another alternative, can you get a second job?

As far as furniture, check second hand stores and also get into your local Facebook garage sale groups and also get on the "Nextdoor" app. In my area, people are regularly selling and even giving away for free furniture and items they do not want anymore. You will have to find some way to transport any furniture you buy, though. You can also get cheap, basic furniture at places like Ikea and Target. You can also use these sites for kitchen supplies, rugs, bedding, towels, etc. You will find there are a lot of things you need when you move into your first place.

everything is included in the rent ( water,electricity,sewage,cable,internet,heating/cooling air) i think i could get another fast food job

• Like 1
His rent includes all utilities so at $1,000 it's not a bad deal.

Ah, I missed that. Yes it is a pretty good deal.

OP, before you move forward, calculate all of your monthly expenses (car, gas, phone, other bills, entertainment, personal items, clothes, saving, etc.). Determine whether, once the $1000 of rent is included in your expenses, you can live on the amount you are making. (I do think it's feasible, but it might be tight.) That should help guide you on how to proceed -- if you need a second job, a roommate, etc.

• Author
Ah, I missed that. Yes it is a pretty good deal.

OP, before you move forward, calculate all of your monthly expenses (car, gas, phone, other bills, entertainment, personal items, clothes, saving, etc.). Determine whether, once the $1000 of rent is included in your expenses, you can live on the amount you are making. (I do think it's feasible, but it might be tight.) That should help guide you on how to proceed -- if you need a second job, a roommate, etc.

i think i can do it ! but i think i should get me a little side fast food job

I personally dont think I should move in with some random

A few things -

- you don't know anyone from work, church, hobbies or school looking for a roommate? Ask around, I'd bet there's someone.

- you can get all the furnishings and housewares you need at garage sales. Look for people that are moving and go late in the day. Most folks would rather give stuff away cheaply - or free - than pack it up and take it.

- consider a "gig" second job, Uber or Lyft for example though there are others. The hours are flexible and you work the days you want.

The challenges you face are no different than most of us overcame at your age and in your circumstances. My first table was a cable spool salvaged from a construction site, shelving was bricks and boards found elsewhere. It can be done and is more rewarding since you're the one making it happen...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1