How do I tell someone i have no family?

Vesna

I have cut off my brother, the last remaining family member whom (I stupidly thought) had any respect and support for me. Now I have no family and as much as it is liberating, I still feel the grief.

I want to meet new people and the inevitable questions about family are distressing to me already.

What do I say? Any tips? I have thought about saying "None living" but I live in a small state where everyone knows someone. It is like six degrees of separation.

Your brother is still your family whether you acknowledge it or not. You can simply tell people you have one brother. There is no need to go into details.

Your brother is still your family whether you acknowledge it or not. You can simply tell people you have one brother. There is no need to go into details.

I agree with this....and if the subject does come up then a little info around the edges should be okay and shouldn't affect anything..

I did however date a woman once that had 2 almost teens and they had never met their Grandmother who lived less than 10 mins away...

I used to think that was strange that she was estranged from her own Mother to that point and it also made me think about what if we had kids together, they would never meet their Grandmother, I thought it was sad even though I didn't know their history too much.

Not sure why you think you have to tell someone you are just getting to know all of your dirty laundry. Most people only discuss that stuff with their nearest and dearest friends. I have two brothers. One brother I haven't spoken to in 7 yrs and I'm okay with that. It's like he no longer exists (at least in my life) but if someone I don't know very well asks me if I have any siblings I simply tell the truth, which is I have two brothers, and leave it that. If someone were to pry further about my relationship with my siblings I might say something along the lines of I have one brother that I'm not really on speaking terms with. Most people have had their own complicated family relationships and will immediately understand and drop the subject. Only a jerk would continue to press for the private details from someone they have just met or are just getting to know. That's the kind of subject that a respectful person leaves alone and let's the other person decide if and when they will open up about their family problems.

If you meet someone who asks you about family, simply tell the truth and say you have a brother. Don't lie to people and say you have no siblings and don't say something like "my brother is dead to me". That is over sharing and over dramatic and nobody who has just met you wants to hear all your problems.

• Like 3
  • Author

Not sure why you think you have to tell someone you are just getting to know all of your dirty laundry.

I have no intention to air my dirty laundry.

Thanks to everyone else for the simple answers to a simple question.

• Like 1

Hi Vesna,

I don’t know the circumstances that lead to you cutting off your family, but I’m sorry that

you’re going through that difficult situation. I would say that if you are wanting to develop new

relationships in your life, the best foundation is one built on truth. I’ve learned that when I’m

truthful about my past hurts, most people are compassionate because they have their own

hurts too. Some of my best friends have been formed because of honesty regarding the things I

have gone through. I’d encourage you not to be afraid to open up.

I don't have much in the way of close family.

I am tight with my dad, my mother is dead, and I am not close at all with my 10 years older half siblings.

Never was close with my grandparents or uncle's, and most of them are dead now.

Honestly it very rarely if ever comes up in conversation.

Someone may ask if I have siblings, and I often yes, but they are older and we aren't close.

I don't think it's a big deal.