Blended Family?

Otter2569

Has anyone had experience blending families where the kids have very different personalities?

My GF and I are talking about moving in together in a few months (in to my house).

She has a 12 year old daughter who has a strong, sometimes directive personality. I have 2 boys 14 & 17 that are very relaxed. The girl, I find, can be abrasive and bossy. She can also be very helpful and loving. I have NO experience raising young girls.

I know I have my reservations as this will be an adjustment for me. I can see all the kids having to go through an adjustment period.

IfonlyIknew

To me, it sounds like you have some adjusting and accepting to do. You say your teenage boys are easy because you are used to them and well, they are yours. I'm sure she feels the same way about her daughter, and i believe a 12 year old girl vs 2 teenage boys, your girlfriend is taking on the short end of the stick here. Either way, it's going to take time for everyone. As long as you two both are willing to put the work in then you will be fine.

How close is the 17 year old to graduation? Putting it off for a year so that your both only bringing one to the table. .. seems more fair.

I have NO experience raising young girls.

Raising a daughter and raising a step-daughter are two different things. Step-parenting in general is a challenge due to the inherent contradictions in the role - all the responsibilities with limited vested authority.

Key to this would be detailed discussions with your GF regarding the expectations each of you have regarding the roles you'll play in the children's lives. Any exes can also be a wild card, bringing their own agenda and input as to the situation. Lots of moving pieces involved :) .

If you go through with it, prepare to be alternately frustrated and thrilled, confounded and amazed. Buckle up...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
whichwayisup
Has anyone had experience blending families where the kids have very different personalities?

My GF and I are talking about moving in together in a few months (in to my house).

She has a 12 year old daughter who has a strong, sometimes directive personality. I have 2 boys 14 & 17 that are very relaxed. The girl, I find, can be abrasive and bossy. She can also be very helpful and loving. I have NO experience raising young girls.

I know I have my reservations as this will be an adjustment for me. I can see all the kids having to go through an adjustment period.

I assume all the kids have met and spent time together? If so, then why not have a gathering and discuss the moving in with everybody together.

• Author
How close is the 17 year old to graduation? Putting it off for a year so that your both only bringing one to the table. .. seems more fair.

My 17 y/o is off to college this fall. That is part of the reason we are waiting until late summer. That and I only have 3 bedrooms.

• Author
I assume all the kids have met and spent time together? If so, then why not have a gathering and discuss the moving in with everybody together.

That is exactly what I plan to do. The kids have met several times. She has full custody of hers and I have 50/50 so my boys have spent far less time with GF and her daughter.

We are planning several more group activities and get together so the kids can hopefully "bond".

The kids have very different personality types: mine could lay on the couch all day. Hers likes to be busy. Mine are more team oriented. Hers is more take charge. All are great kids.

• Author
Raising a daughter and raising a step-daughter are two different things. Step-parenting in general is a challenge due to the inherent contradictions in the role - all the responsibilities with limited vested authority.

Key to this would be detailed discussions with your GF regarding the expectations each of you have regarding the roles you'll play in the children's lives. Any exes can also be a wild card, bringing their own agenda and input as to the situation. Lots of moving pieces involved :) .

If you go through with it, prepare to be alternately frustrated and thrilled, confounded and amazed. Buckle up...

I completely agree and that is how I feel already. Emotions and attitudes seem to change a lot these days which is partially what prompted this post.

Her daughter has been moody and has lashed out at me several times in the last 2 weeks: apparently I wasn't wiping off the counter top correctly and I dipped my chip in her (really the tables) sour cream. Each time her mother put her in her place as did I although I was less direct (sarcastic) than her mom. Moodyness I can deal with. Disrespect I can not.

Moodyness I can deal with. Disrespect I can not.

And that's going to be the toughest part.

You'll (rightfully) feel you're due the respect from day one, it's your home that you've worked hard to provide.

She'll feel you need to earn the respect over time based on the relationship.

It will take a while for those two axes to cross. Mix in the normal boundary pushing one gets from a teenager, sprinkle on the moodiness of young girls, add a generous scoop of the challenges of step-parenting - might be easier to unite the two Koreas!

Having said that, the payoff is there. To this day, my adult son treats my wife (his stepmom) with unusual love and respect. The reward is great if you can navigate the challenges...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
My 17 y/o is off to college this fall. That is part of the reason we are waiting until late summer. That and I only have 3 bedrooms.

Just curious: Where do you expect your older son to stay for the holidays during college (e.g., in the summer)? Does he have to share the bedroom with your younger son?

If the kids have met only a few times, it's only fair you guys should really focus on letting them get to know each other better first.

• Like 1
  • Author
You posted the exact same thing a while ago with great advice !

Yes, similar post in the Relationship forum. Thought I would get more insight in the family Arena :)

• Author
Just curious: Where do you expect your older son to stay for the holidays during college (e.g., in the summer)? Does he have to share the bedroom with your younger son?

If the kids have met only a few times, it's only fair you guys should really focus on letting them get to know each other better first.

I have my boys 50% of the time so I would buy bunk beds and move them into the bigger room.

My focus now is on the kids getting to know each other. I'm not going to force anything just set up a series of things where we hang out and spend time together.

We both have or own places so its not like we have to do this. Would be nice if it works but I'm not looking to completely disrupt our lives either

• Author

You'll (rightfully) feel you're due the respect from day one, it's your home that you've worked hard to provide.

She'll feel you need to earn the respect over time based on the relationship.

It will take a while for those two axes to cross. Mix in the normal boundary pushing one gets from a teenager, sprinkle on the moodiness of young girls, add a generous scoop of the challenges of step-parenting - might be easier to unite the two Koreas!

Having said that, the payoff is there. To this day, my adult son treats my wife (his stepmom) with unusual love and respect. The reward is great if you can navigate the challenges...Mr. Lucky

Fore sure! My home is my sanctuary. We both feel this way about our respective places. Shes even said, having our own places isn't bad - we have somewhere to escape to when we want / need to get away for a few hours.

I am not going to disrupt our lives if it doesnt feel right for everyone. Luckily I have a few months before I need to make any decisions.

Edited by Otter2569