Birth Announcement?

ThursdayChild

ThursdayChild

Hi everyone

I hope this question makes sense. I had a baby a few months ago and am just getting around to mailing people printed birth announcements for her. I have a few siblings and I know their inlaws and was planning to mail them one. However, one of my brother's wives (who is currently pregnant) I believe has a strained relationship with her parents and I don't know how much she sees them. I have met them once a few years ago. Would it be appropriate to include them and ask her for her parents mailing address? Or might it come off as I am trying to cause trouble/passive-aggressive? I'd appreciate your honest opinions please and thank you! :)

chelsea2011

Well, since she is your brother's wife that is where your loyalty should be. Instead of sitting around wondering, why not engage her in a conversation about her family and get her to open up? If she says the relationship is not a good one then sendng an annoucement to them is probably not a good idea. She may consider part of her domaine and would perfer you not cross that boundary. Or, you can ask her how she feels about you sending them one. Preface it by saying that you consider her part of your family and you are wondering if she would enjoy you including her family in this celebration of the newest addition to the family.

Either way, don't try to guess, get the answer you need by asking her and give her the option of choice to show your loyalty.

Edited by chelsea2011
  • Author
ThursdayChild

Thanks that was exactly my question...whether or not I should even ask her for her parent's mailing address

I think you send birth announcements to people who do not yet know, who have a right to know, and whose address you already have.

Sending Birth Announcements to those within your 'inner circle' who have already met and seen the baby (and maybe even already bought it something!), don't need this.

It's futile and an unnecessary expense.

• Author
ThursdayChild
I think you send birth announcements to people who do not yet know, who have a right to know, and whose address you already have.

Sending Birth Announcements to those within your 'inner circle' who have already met and seen the baby (and maybe even already bought it something!), don't need this.

It's futile and an unnecessary expense.

I'm not sure if they know I had a baby. I met them once a few years ago.

They don't matter.

They're not sufficiently 'friendly' with you to warrant receiving an Announcement....