Family causing us grief

pink_sugar

Unfortunately, my husband and I have recently fallen on hard times and are forced to move out of our apartment. On top of all our current stress, our relatives are making it worse by complaining over every little thing...saying we cannot store any of our stuff there or it's on the wrong side of the garage or etc etc. Funny thing is, my brother and my aunt have stored things in my grandmother's garage for years and all of a sudden, hell breaks loose, because we need a place to store a few of our things because we cannot afford a big storage unit. We sold more than 50% of our furniture or gave it away and yet a few boxes is a huge problem. Not only that, but my relatives are making a big deal over other inane things and exasperating issues beyond belief. It's a nightmare. My husband and I have helped out our family quite a bit, but when it comes to our time of need, everyone turns their heads or freaks out over the most trivial things. As if being homeless for a few months until I get another job isn't bad enough. I've also noticed most of my family is all about me, me, me and take, but not give back. It's disgusting and I'm planning to move far away from this drama once my husband and I get back on our feet.

starzarebrite37

First of all, I am very sorry about this. They sound very selfish and petty individuals. I can relate to that very much, and we were in a similar situation. When my hubby lost his job about 3 years ago, we lost our apartment and had no place to go. We were not about to live apart. We asked my parents if we could come stay with them until we got back on our feet, but they hesitated to let us. They made remarks about how crowded their house would be and told us that we had better not let our dog pee in their house. They also bitched that his parents should store our stuff at our their house. They were being total jerks about it. And that was after they bitched constantly about us not being there for them, when clearly, we've done a lot for them.

Thank God for my parents in-law. They let both of us live stay at their house, until we were finally able to get back onto our feet about a couple of years ago. They helped us get and pay for a storage unit for our things. They were saints. So based on my own experience, I need to know; are you on good terms with your in-laws? If so, get help and support from them, and screw that awful family of yours. Even though they are your family by blood, a real family helps you out and treats you right. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck. I hope things get better for you and your hubby.

• Like 3

Do they know? Do they realise? Have you talked to them? Some people are just so generically negative that they can't see the impact on others. Hope it improves!

• Like 4
  • Author
First of all, I am very sorry about this. They sound very selfish and petty individuals. I can relate to that very much, and we were in a similar situation. When my hubby lost his job about 3 years ago, we lost our apartment and had no place to go. We were not about to live apart. We asked my parents if we could come stay with them until we got back on our feet, but they hesitated to let us. They made remarks about how crowded their house would be and told us that we had better not let our dog pee in their house. They also bitched that his parents should store our stuff at our their house. They were being total jerks about it. And that was after they bitched constantly about us not being there for them, when clearly, we've done a lot for them.

Thank God for my parents in-law. They let both of us live stay at their house, until we were finally able to get back onto our feet about a couple of years ago. They helped us get and pay for a storage unit for our things. They were saints. So based on my own experience, I need to know; are you on good terms with your in-laws? If so, get help and support from them, and screw that awful family of yours. Even though they are your family by blood, a real family helps you out and treats you right. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck. I hope things get better for you and your hubby.

Unfortunately, my husband's parents are deceased and the rest of his relatives live out of the area and state. His grandmother is in the area, but she recently moved from her home into a senior center. :( But yeah, your situation sounds identical to mine. I'm glad we're not alone.

Sorry to hear that pink. I remember the feeling of utter disbelief at the angst my mother had over 2 lousy boxes I had at her place. She actually drove out to see me for the first time in years just to dump them off and leave 2 minutes later. After all the stuff she pulled she not only didn't feel guilty but didn't even want to do the normal things parents do for their kids. This isn't how it was in the movies and fairy tales growing up! :(:p

Hope you and the hubby win the lottery just so you can say no to them all when they suddenly get super friendly and helpful.

• Like 3
starzarebrite37

I am so sorry Pink. Do you have any friends around who can help you guys out? Sometimes our friends are better family than our actual blood related family. Either way, I really hope that things go better. It breaks my heart reading this.

• Like 1
  • Author

All of my friends have either moved from the area to somewhere where cost of living is less or live with their parents. My husband's friends live with roommates. :(

My dad was giving me grief today on top of it and wanted rent just for the one week we are staying there before moving. :eek: He knows I am still waiting on unemployment benefits and my husband only works part time. Ugh!!

• Like 1
  • Author
(((hugs)))

Thanks much!:) I never realized how negative and selfish my relatives were until a time of need.

• Author

Update

My husband and I are staying over at my dad's for one week while he finishes his job before we move out of the area to stay with my mom and stepdad temporarily. Already on the first day, my dad yells at me when I'm making phone calls, demanding who I'm talking to and to get off the phone so I can help him with something. Earlier he obnoxiously yelled out while I was on the phone and luckily I wasn't on the phone with a potential employer, but I was trying to resolve an issue with a lender. Then later on, he basically said I was stupid and asked how I got through school and etc. No wonder I moved out of home at 18. I've never been treated so horribly since I lived at home. :(:(

Talk about it to them about how you feel.

On thw other hand if you know how they are

why not build on freinds?

Why keep going to them for rejection.

What? Can you explain what are talking about?