At odds with Mother over animal breeding issue

burningashes

Hi all.

I need to vent a little. I feel really powerless in this situation so any advice would be helpful.

My mother is in the middle of a divorce right now and is working to keep up with the bills. Two years ago, she got the idea of trying to breed her Boston Terrier female to produce puppies for money. I was very against this because for starters, there are thousands of animals that need homes, we really do not need to add to that. Second of all, their safety are never guaranteed when they're sold. I could go on but you get the idea that I don't support this at all.

This happened because her dog got pregnant accidentally by my mom's neighbour's dog the first time so it became an idea to breed her for more pups after she had her first litter. She agreed to work with the neighbour and they managed to produce another two litter. So far, one pup (now dog really) has been returned because the buyer no longer wanted the pup, so she now has three dogs. Her female dog remain unfixed, with plans to breed again.

My mother also has been friends with a woman who breeds simanese cats. Well, apparently she was partners with another woman who shared male cats for their breeding businesses, and she died suddenly two days ago. So she had all those cats she was breeding and a litter she was in the middle of selling. My mom had to take them in since her friend couldnt' take any more of her deceased business partners' cats/kittens.

And now? "I think I'll start breeding those cats too"...

No! I just dont' know how I can endure this any longer. This is just wrong that my mom is doing this for money and probably will breed those cats until they die well before their time. I feel like I want to call the police or something but I feel completely powerless here. It's one thing to take animals in but quite another to breed for money when she can barely find buyers and have had animals returned to her.

I just can't stand this any more. It's so depressing because I care so much for those animals and what happens to those kittens and puppies that is born. I've told my mom again and again that this is wrong etc.. she just doesn't care. "Well I need money," she'd say. I'd argue, "Well then get a job. This is not a job!"

So bummed out I can't do anything. :(

Some people ARE animal breeders, and that is how they earn their living. It's really no different than farmers who have their cows artificially inseminated to produce calves. As far as what type of homes the animals are going to, perhaps you could persuade your mother to make more of an inquiry of the prospective buyers to determine their attitude towards pets and how they plan to take care of the pets. I wouldn't get too worked up about the fact that someone returned a puppy. Some people find that, upon taking the animal home, the animal is unmanagable, destructive, or not compatible with their kids or their schedule. Be glad they returned the dog when they realized it was a mistake to get the dog, rather than just letting the dog loose or worse. Ultimately, it's your mother's choice whether to be an animal breeder or not.

Burning ashes,

I'm with you on this one.

I think it is morally wrong to breed animals for money unless ;-

1. The breeder is using the best quality stock and breeding to the breed standards. The female is registered with the Kennel Club/Cat Club UK or USA equivalent. There is detailed knowledge of the breed and it's characteristics.

2. There are homes already lined up for these animals.

3. The breeder understands the need to provide the female breeding animals with the best quality veterinary care , supplements and food.

4. The breeder does not produce more than one litter every 2 years from any animal.

5.When the females are too old for breeding they are "retired", neutered and kept as pets

6. The breeder has sufficient space/heated pens, facilities and has the time and knowledge to look after the litters.

7. The breeder is registered with the necessary bodies and will be inspected regularly.

8. The breeder vets all the propspective homes carefully as to suitability and will take back any animal that does not "settle" with the new owner. The breeder must also be able to give advice as to diet, training etc to the new owner and be prepared to visit them to sort out any problems.

I wonder if your mother has really thought this through and understands all the hard work it entails?

Edited by Arieswoman
  • Like 5
  • Author
Some people ARE animal breeders, and that is how they earn their living. It's really no different than farmers who have their cows artificially inseminated to produce calves. As far as what type of homes the animals are going to, perhaps you could persuade your mother to make more of an inquiry of the prospective buyers to determine their attitude towards pets and how they plan to take care of the pets. I wouldn't get too worked up about the fact that someone returned a puppy. Some people find that, upon taking the animal home, the animal is unmanagable, destructive, or not compatible with their kids or their schedule. Be glad they returned the dog when they realized it was a mistake to get the dog, rather than just letting the dog loose or worse. Ultimately, it's your mother's choice whether to be an animal breeder or not.

Yes, I know that people breed for a living. But in this instance, my mom is doing it for a quick fix to make money. That's just the thing though- if people started returning animals, my mom is going to have a problem. What then, are we going to do with all those dogs and cats that get returned? Yes, it is one puppy but one that we are now stuck with and can't sell because it's a dog now.

Those are the issues that I'm trying to get my mother to understand. Why breed more when you already have animals that you can't get rid of? Why even get into it? Money isn't that great after vet costs and expenses, you don't make much of a profit if you're only selling a couple of litters a year. Especially if you start getting animals returned to you.

• Author
Burning ashes,

1. The breeder is using the best quality stock and breeding to the breed standards. The female is registered with the Kennel Club/Cat Club UK or USA equivalent. There is detailed knowledge of the breed and it's characteristics.

3. The breeder understands the need to provide the female breeding animals with the best quality veterinary care , supplements and food.

4. The breeder does not produce more than one litter every 2 years from any animal.

5.When the females are too old for breeding they are "retired", neutered and kept as pets

6. The breeder has sufficient space/heated pens, facilities and has the time and knowledge to look after the litters.

7. The breeder is registered with the necessary bodies and will be inspected regularly.

8. The breeder vets all the propspective homes carefully as to suitability and will take back any animal that does not "settle" with the new owner. The breeder must also be able to give advice as to diet, training etc to the new owner and be prepared to visit them to sort out any problems.

I wonder if your mother has really thought this through and understands all the hard work it entails?

Pretty much, and my mother is none of those things. I've tried to get her to understand this, but I think she's been influenced by her neighbour. After her puppies were born, her neighbour decided to get TWO more female dogs to breed. He recently just had two more litters, and that's after having three litters last year. Isn't that over kill?? Those poor dogs.

They are not registered at all and nothing like what you've described of reputable breeders. They are in this for quick money, nothing else. They also live on acreages, so there have been instances where they've had to get rid of (you figure out how they did it) of kittens or puppies because there were either no buyers or too many animals to sell off. Now tell me whether I SHOULDN'T report them. I don't know anymore.. it is so upsetting to me.

Edited by burningashes

In the usa, most breeders are required to be approved for and purchase a kennel license. If your Mom hasn't obtained this, an anonymous call to the city would be all it takes to shut her operation down completely. The dog warden would likely seize the dogs if she failed to comply. Depending on the zoning in her area, this may be something she legally not allowed to do.

• Like 5
  • Author

We're in Canada. You have a good point though- I will look up what is legal here. They haven't exactly been hiding it either, so if it is illegal, they will eventually get caught.

That certainly can be another point I can bring up with her if it turns out to be illegal. I don't know if I would report them anonymously out of family loyality, wouldn't that give them hefty fines? I don't want to be responsible for causing even more financial hardship for my mom but I hate this :(

Also, if those animals get taken, I can't be sure where they will end up either. I don't know what's worse. I really do hate this situation.

Yes, I know that people breed for a living. But in this instance, my mom is doing it for a quick fix to make money. That's just the thing though- if people started returning animals, my mom is going to have a problem. What then, are we going to do with all those dogs and cats that get returned? Yes, it is one puppy but one that we are now stuck with and can't sell because it's a dog now.

Those are the issues that I'm trying to get my mother to understand. Why breed more when you already have animals that you can't get rid of? Why even get into it? Money isn't that great after vet costs and expenses, you don't make much of a profit if you're only selling a couple of litters a year. Especially if you start getting animals returned to you.

I see your point. Although she may have the space to do this, she also needs to have the commitment to give the animals proper veterinary care. Hopefully, she will give them the care they need. As far as the financial costs, you may want to discuss the feasibility of this, and actually work out the numbers with her. She may not realize that this is not going to be the financial benefit that she first thought, when the figures for veterinary care, etc., are all considered. But ultimately, it is her decision to make. Try not to let this consume you, or create a rift between you.

• Like 1

Maybe you can send a fake email/letter. Have someone who is very good at legal-ese help you create it. Not from the government or anything that will get YOU in trouble, but maybe from a "vet" in the area, or some kind of fake breeders association. Something like "It has come to our attention that you are breeding dogs and cats without licensing. Your information has been flagged on our watch list. We ask that you halt all breeding activity immediately."

Then put some links in there to training/licensing if she wishes to become a "real" breeder.

I don't know how ethical this is, or whether your mom would fall for it, but if so, it's a possibility. :)

• Like 1
Some people ARE animal breeders, and that is how they earn their living.

Legitimate breeders have money set aside to care for their animals. They buy dams and sires, which cost $1,000+, from other licensed breeders. They learn how to screen properly and make the right breeding decisions. They know that they need to have their breeding animals tested for various diseases, sometimes before each time they're bred. They know how to properly care for a pregnant and lactating animal. They know how to care for newborn puppies and kittens. They're willing and able to pay all veterinary bills associated with breeding animals, from check-ups to vaccinations to spay/neuter for all puppies/kittens going out to comes to emergency care.

And they know that people aren't going to shell out $500-1000 for an animal from a "breeder" with zero credentials, no licenses, and no paperwork on the animals to prove their provenance. No one's going to pay a lot of money for a random mutt some lady accidentally bred in her backyard. Without proof of pedigree, you might get lucky and find some sucker to pay you a lot of money, but there aren't too many of those hanging around. Certainly not enough for anyone to make a profit doing this. Certainly not enough to prevent these animals from ending up in a shelter where they have a good chance of being euthanized.

As for people not interested in purebreds, why would they pay a backyard breeder hundreds of dollars for a puppy when they can go to a shelter or rescue and get one for under $100?

Not to mention...

Most Boston terriers (~90%) cannot give birth naturally. They require C-sections, which can cost around $5-6,000. We see people time and time again who are trying to breed in order to make a quick buck off the puppies come in with no money for an exam, much less an emergency C-section. If not that, they come in half dead from a septic abdomen with dead puppies trapped inside a rotting uterus.

And although dystocia isn't a guaranteed in cats, like with some dog breeds like the Boston terrier, it's a very real possibility. As is hip dysplasia and a host of other problems that could affect the breeding cats, some of which would require an ovariohysterectomy or emergency surgery to save the cat's life.

OP, the best and only way to approach this is to research the costs and show them to your mother. Have her add up the numbers and have her figure out just how much she'd have to charge someone to make a profit, assuming each animal survives and is healthy enough to go out. That's really the only thing that's going to dissuade her at this point.

• Like 6
  • Author
I see your point. Although she may have the space to do this, she also needs to have the commitment to give the animals proper veterinary care. Hopefully, she will give them the care they need. As far as the financial costs, you may want to discuss the feasibility of this, and actually work out the numbers with her. She may not realize that this is not going to be the financial benefit that she first thought, when the figures for veterinary care, etc., are all considered. But ultimately, it is her decision to make. Try not to let this consume you, or create a rift between you.

We've talked about this. None of her animals have had shots done, or even been looked at a vet- this already tells me how committed they really are. My mother and her neighbor are not the kind of people you want looking after animals. I know for a fact that her neighbor disposes of animals (I found out about it last year).

Even though those animals do get fed and looked after (albeit without vet care really, they're basically on farm properties in the middle of nowhere) but once they're of no value to them (no longer a cute kitty or puppy, can't sell, etc).. well. This is illegal, right? This is how serious the situation is. These animals get born, and whoever buys them are responsible for vet care, so that's why they don't get them their shots or whatever. If a puppy or kitten gets sick, oh well, it's not worth bringing a vet in and stop feeding it so it dies quicker if it isn't killed. That's the kind of attitude they have and it's very disturbing to me.

The last time I saw the neighbour's most recent litters, all those poor puppies were cooped up in a pen covered in their own defecation and old dog food.

They obviously do not have those animals best interests in mind. It's enough for me to stop speaking to my mother if she doesn't stop this or promises me to commit to looking after those animals better. No more overbreeding, "disposing" and better vet care would be a start.

• Author
Legitimate breeders have money set aside to care for their animals. They buy dams and sires, which cost $1,000+, from other licensed breeders. They learn how to screen properly and make the right breeding decisions. They know that they need to have their breeding animals tested for various diseases, sometimes before each time they're bred. They know how to properly care for a pregnant and lactating animal. They know how to care for newborn puppies and kittens. They're willing and able to pay all veterinary bills associated with breeding animals, from check-ups to vaccinations to spay/neuter for all puppies/kittens going out to comes to emergency care.

And they know that people aren't going to shell out $500-1000 for an animal from a "breeder" with zero credentials, no licenses, and no paperwork on the animals to prove their provenance. No one's going to pay a lot of money for a random mutt some lady accidentally bred in her backyard. Without proof of pedigree, you might get lucky and find some sucker to pay you a lot of money, but there aren't too many of those hanging around. Certainly not enough for anyone to make a profit doing this. Certainly not enough to prevent these animals from ending up in a shelter where they have a good chance of being euthanized.

As for people not interested in purebreds, why would they pay a backyard breeder hundreds of dollars for a puppy when they can go to a shelter or rescue and get one for under $100?

Not to mention...

Most Boston terriers (~90%) cannot give birth naturally. They require C-sections, which can cost around $5-6,000. We see people time and time again who are trying to breed in order to make a quick buck off the puppies come in with no money for an exam, much less an emergency C-section. If not that, they come in half dead from a septic abdomen with dead puppies trapped inside a rotting uterus.

And although dystocia isn't a guaranteed in cats, like with some dog breeds like the Boston terrier, it's a very real possibility. As is hip dysplasia and a host of other problems that could affect the breeding cats, some of which would require an ovariohysterectomy or emergency surgery to save the cat's life.

OP, the best and only way to approach this is to research the costs and show them to your mother. Have her add up the numbers and have her figure out just how much she'd have to charge someone to make a profit, assuming each animal survives and is healthy enough to go out. That's really the only thing that's going to dissuade her at this point.

Thank you for this bit of information. She's been VERY fortunate so far that there hasn't been any problems with any of the puppies or her dog- I will be sure to pass this information on. I did do some research and know for a fact there is a certain number of litters dogs can have every year until a specific recommended age. I've also told this to her.. again she either doesn't get it or doesn't care.

She simply blanks me out now whenever I bring the subject up. Until yesterday when I discovered all those new cats/kittens. She looked at me guiltily and then explained about what happened to their owner. She of course went on to proclaim that she was now breeding those cats too. It's sad that this is causing a divide between my mother and I but I can't help how strongly I feel.

You're right that she is just a backyard breeder and those new simanese cats were like jackpot to her. I have an obligation to my own morals to try ending this. If this isn't cruelty, I don't know what this is.

Not to mention...

This is good advice. Your mother likely doesn't understand the risks and financial commitment involved in breeding puppies. You should have a serious discussion with her, providing her with information on the risks, requirements, and financial issues involved. I would not recommend forging a letter, or reporting her to authorities, unless animals were not being taken care of. But do provide her with all the information you can about the risks, costs and requirements involved.

• Like 1

Even though those animals do get fed and looked after (albeit without vet care really, they're basically on farm properties in the middle of nowhere) but once they're of no value to them (no longer a cute kitty or puppy, can't sell, etc).. well. This is illegal, right? This is how serious the situation is. These animals get born, and whoever buys them are responsible for vet care, so that's why they don't get them their shots or whatever. If a puppy or kitten gets sick, oh well, it's not worth bringing a vet in and stop feeding it so it dies quicker if it isn't killed. That's the kind of attitude they have and it's very disturbing to me.

This is awful. :( How are they supposed to be finding buyers if they can't guarantee even basic shots? Are there enough people out there who are of the same mindset that they'll just buy a random puppy/kitten from someone, without the animal or its parents having had any vaccinations? You certainly can't expect to charge people hundreds of dollars for that.

I'm not in Canada, so I don't know what is or isn't legal where you are. In the US, animals are considered property, so short of cruelty (starvation, outright abuse, etc.), pretty much anything goes. I know there are local laws that prevent animal control from releasing any animal that is not up to date on rabies vaccination, but I don't know if that applies to private breeders. It's something to look into. If your mom plans on selling puppies and kittens without vaccination and if it happens to be against the law to sell an unvaccinated animal, she could get into some legal trouble, especially since the animals are being kept outside (which increases their chances of coming into contact with rabies in the first place).

The last time I saw the neighbour's most recent litters, all those poor puppies were cooped up in a pen covered in their own defecation and old dog food.

This sounds like outright neglect and something that could very well be actionable if animal control and/or the police knew about it.

They obviously do not have those animals best interests in mind. It's enough for me to stop speaking to my mother if she doesn't stop this or promises me to commit to looking after those animals better. No more overbreeding, "disposing" and better vet care would be a start.

I'm sorry you're going through this. It's just terrible all around. I really do think the only thing that might make her stop is the possibility of it COSTING her money instead of making her some. Even if she doesn't care about the breeding animals dying, she can't exactly breed anything if they're dead and she can't afford to buy new ones. And she can't exactly hope to have a thriving breeding business if she ends up with litters that have genetic or infectious diseases.

• Like 1
  • Author
This is good advice. Your mother likely doesn't understand the risks and financial commitment involved in breeding puppies. You should have a serious discussion with her, providing her with information on the risks, requirements, and financial issues involved. I would not recommend forging a letter, or reporting her to authorities, unless animals were not being taken care of. But do provide her with all the information you can about the risks, costs and requirements involved.

Yes, very good advice. I will print it up and give it to her to read.

As for other posters who suggested ideas to forge letters etc, those are nice ideas but that would get me (and her) in trouble. Perhaps a better alternative would be to have a reputable breeder come in to talk to my mom. I may have better luck with that- all I want is to make sure those animals are cared for properly and that she's not screwing herself if this is illegal.

• Author

I'm not sure about the law's stance when it comes to animals in Canada either. But, I do know for one thing- animal abusers get vilified when the public gets wind of their identities in high profile animal abuse cases. We animal lovers do our best :D Though I'm sure we have similar laws like the US. We can only do so much protecting animals, but I firmly believe that if you witness such acts of abuse, you have to do something.

I don't want to see anyone going to jail. I think they mean well, but I fear for them. I think I will ask a breeder to come in and discuss this with my mother.. I really hope she will see what she is doing is dangerous.

Burning ashes,

I agree, this is no different than any other type of self employment. It isn't simply breeding the animals and making money. To have an ethical business, there will be expenditures as well. OP, your mom would need to figure out how to turn a profit while also considering the costs involved. If she just wants to make money, there are plenty of other things your mom can do with minimal cost....take selling Avon or Mary Kay for example. I also know people who sell insurance who make over 100k a year.

• Like 1
I agree, this is no different than any other type of self employment. It isn't simply breeding the animals and making money. To have an ethical business, there will be expenditures as well. OP, your mom would need to figure out how to turn a profit while also considering the costs involved. If she just wants to make money, there are plenty of other things your mom can do with minimal cost....take selling Avon or Mary Kay for example. I also know people who sell insurance who make over 100k a year.

I am also proud to say I will never ever buy from a breeder. I will always adopt. There is already a big issue with animal overpopulation and I will encourage everyone I know to adopt from a shelter or a local rescue group.

• Like 4
  • Author

Hi, here's a update to the situation.

I checked the kittens today and one had its eyes swollen shut. I messaged my mother to let her know that the kitten needed to see the vet right away. She said since she didn't have money, she can't afford to take it in.

I don't know what's going to happen now :( I've contacted a few breeders and am now waiting to hear from them. In the mean time, I will be keeping an eye on the cats, because they aren't doing well and are terrified out of their minds.

If anything dies from neglect, I feel that I should put in a report because I'm the only one who's witnessing this and nobody is doing anything about it because they dont' think it's wrong. I'm really scared of having to do that.. I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place :(

I want her to stop this entirely because I'm against breeding in the first place. I've of course made suggestions for alternative work, but she's been a SAHM all her life up until her divorce with her stbxh. So she's been forced to look at starting up her own businesses, and to date, she's had a successful firewood business. I've encouraged her to build on that and hoping she'll decide to stop breeding once she sees it's way more profitable running the firewood business (paid everyday).

Here's to hoping for the best, I sincerely hope I can get a breeder to convince my mother to either clean up her act or leave the business entirely.

If your mother does not take the kitten for veterinary attention then she is breaking the law by not providing the animal with the necessary veterinary care.

More importantly this kitten is suffering. If it is not treated it could have eye damage or go blind (and not be saleable)

Tell your mother this. Not having money is not an excuse.

If she refuses to take action then either;

1. You must take the kitten to a vet yourself yourself or

2. You call the RSPCA/ASPCA or other animal enforcement agency (you can do this anonymously) and report her.

Doing nothing is not an option.

I agree she should stick to firewood.

• Like 1
If your mother does not take the kitten for veterinary attention then she is breaking the law by not providing the animal with the necessary veterinary care.

More importantly this kitten is suffering. If it is not treated it could have eye damage or go blind (and not be saleable)

Tell your mother this. Not having money is not an excuse.

If she refuses to take action then either;

1. You must take the kitten to a vet yourself yourself or

2. You call the RSPCA/ASPCA or other animal enforcement agency (you can do this anonymously) and report her.

Doing nothing is not an option.

I agree she should stick to firewood.

This the kitten need to absolutely go to the vet. She is not helping herself any buy having distressed animals no one will buy from her. I know you are trying to be nice and treat her with kit gloves. But I would be tempted to be a hard A$$ and say either you take care of these animals or I am calling the ASPCA.

• Like 2

I agree with you. In this day and age, with so many animals being unwanted and killed, it's inhumane to breed, period. I hope you've given it your best shot at educating her about it.

You can report her if she doesn't keep the animals in a clean environment, well fed, gives them enough space. Report to animal control with your city or county. Some cities or counties or states require a breeding permit, so do check and see if yours does. If so, report her for that! I hate people who do that! Grrrrr. Sorry it's your own family.

• Like 2

Take the kittens and surrender them to your local ASPCA or other similar animal rescue group. They deserve better.

• Like 2

I recommend looking at this posts as well as contracting animal rights groups.

BC SPCA: Criminal Code of Canada - Animal Cruelty

Cruelty Legislation « Animal Alliance Of Canada

No Puppy Mills Canada

List of charitable animal rescue groups

What your mom is doing is cruel, irresponsible and unfair to the animals and just awful business decisions.

I would report her to SPCA. I am not sure if they will be able to remove them but they will investigate her and her neighbor.

Backyard breeding is a major issue in the horse world as well and it is just shocking the number of idiots who think they can just breed anything to anything and make a buck. These are living creatures they are doing this to and the lack of caring is just frightening.

• Like 2
passingbreeze

Attention OP: Instead of talking about this problem, I wish you would do something about it immediately. Report this to the SPCA, or whatever the equivalent is in Canada. Let them step in and handle it. They will try to find homes for any healthy animals, and if she cooperates, they probably won't charge her and fine her. However, they will likely tell her she can no longer, ever, breed animals. Please, don't let it drag out one more day. I hope we hear from you next week, telling us that this worrisome and sad situation has been resolved?

• Like 3