Is it wrong that I no longer want to talk to my mother on the phone

WP4046

I guess because of increasing technology, I notice when I talk to her on the phone I never have her full attention. She always seems distracted and sometimes she is even texting while on the phone with me. Then she is always so eager to click over when her line beeps and says....."can I call you back?"

So I came to the conclusion that it's no point in talking on the phone anymore just text or face to face. And the odd thing is that face to face she is fun to talk to when we have lunch together or dinner. But the phone talk is always a disaster. It's like she doesn't hear anything I am saying only focused on what she wants to talk about.

Of course I won't tell her none of this but she will start to see the increase of my availability to talk on the phone. And if I do talk I think it will be 5 mins or less.

It feels like she calls me because she is bored lol

I was just having a conversation about this with my BF. I used to have to be DRUNK to call my parents LOL. I wish my mom would get with texting or IMing since I really hate talking on the phone to begin with.

• Author
I was just having a conversation about this with my BF. I used to have to be DRUNK to call my parents LOL. I wish my mom would get with texting or IMing since I really hate talking on the phone to begin with.

well she is a passionate texter so it shouldn't be a issue for her to text only

I have to be drunk to speak to my mother. She lives on the other side of the world, I've not actually seen her in 5 years, so it's probably about that long since I had a sober conversation with her! Drunk I can cope with her horrible comments about my father...who she has been divorced from for 25 years...

• Like 1

Just tell her. Say, We do better texting or face-to-face because I can always tell I don't have your full attention when we're on the phone.

• Like 2
  • Author
Just tell her. Say, We do better texting or face-to-face because I can always tell I don't have your full attention when we're on the phone.

No because if I say that she will feel some type of way so it's better to say nothing

Then don't talk to her on the phone. You are an adult. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. You seem happy enough to maintain contact in other ways which is fine.

If you think telling her won't change her behavior let it go. Why borrow trouble? If she comes to you & wonders why you disappeared either deny that you did (Passive aggressive) or talk to her then.

• Like 2
  • Author
Then don't talk to her on the phone. You are an adult. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. You seem happy enough to maintain contact in other ways which is fine.

If you think telling her won't change her behavior let it go. Why borrow trouble? If she comes to you & wonders why you disappeared either deny that you did (Passive aggressive) or talk to her then.

If i do talk it will be very short because of the way she constantly clicks over when we are talking.

So texting seems like the better option

• Like 1

If you change to just texting her, it will be interesting to see if she takes the initiative to call you sometimes or if she's happy just to talk to you by text.

• Like 2
  • Author
If you change to just texting her, it will be interesting to see if she takes the initiative to call you sometimes or if she's happy just to talk to you by text.

I had to tell her tonight that I have the option to not answer my phone when it rings.

She acts like whenever she calls I have to answer

No not wrong! It's like when you're out with somebody, but you feel like they are out with Blackberry, not with you. You'd like your mom's attention when you talk to her,. I think she should tell her. Something like Mom, I'd like it if you paid more attention to me more when we are on the phone. Because when you call me, it seems you don't really wanna speak to me, because you're always with Blackberry. Or something or the kind. If she has a hissy fit, that is her issue, not yours.

• Like 1
starzarebrite37

I understand completely how you feel sometimes, and no, it's not always bad to admit we don't want to talk to my mom. My mom is a like yours, except sometimes she is worse. All she does when she is on the phone with me is complain about everything. It's always, "I am so bored", "Your dad won't help me with anything around here", "I am so tired of cooking every night", or about almost anything. I get so annoyed talking to her. Also, she gets pissed off when I don't answer my phone either. In fact, I overheard her telling my granny before I picked up my phone one day saying "She never answers her fricken phone". I got so mad at her.

However, I always see it this way too: one day I will miss hearing her voice and miss talking to her, so I just listen away and get annoyed without even telling her. I know that I am the only one she has to talk to. So I just listen. In your case however, if you haven't already, tell your mom how you feel, and that it's not always about her. Tell her that you want to talk to her about how your life is going too.