Should I tell my family about my sister?

chelle21689

chelle21689

My older sister (28) told me today she was back on anti-depressants and not to tell anyone. This concerns me because several years ago (10-12 yrs ago) she used to go through depression and attempted suicide twice.

I don't know if I should tell my other older sisters. I was thinking maybe keep an eye on her sort of and try to talk often and invite her to hang out. She also lives alone in her apartment, not too many friends, and a bf moving away soon. I don't know how much that has to do with it.

I don't know if I should tell my other older sisters. I was thinking maybe keep an eye on her sort of and try to talk often and invite her to hang out. She also lives alone in her apartment, not too many friends, and a bf moving away soon. I don't know how much that has to do with it.

I don't think you should tell anyone what your sister confided in you. She trusted you to keep that information private, so respect that and leave it up to her to tell other people.

But you could encourage your other siblings to try to talk to her often and invite her to hang out, without telling them exactly why. I mean something like, "I think Mary is going through a hard time and she might be feeling a bit lonely, so maybe it would help her a lot if we all gave her a call and invited her out to a group lunch?"

My point is that you can help her out without telling everyone her personal business.

• Like 2
HokeyReligions
Okay...but if it gets kinda serious I might have to.

If you feel her life is in danger definitely don't try to handle it alone. Maybe if you start feeling scared for her uou can talk to her and ask her if its ok to bring someone else in. Maybe if she chooses who else to confide in to help both of you she will feel better by having some control or input in her life and her confidence will not be broken. Let her know you love her and will be there and that others love her too and will support her thru her bf moving.