And Yet Another Reason I Will Gain SOLACE

Fedup&givingup

Fedup&givingup

Another one of my on going nightmares I had to deal wih were my IN LAWS.

This should really fall under the personal rants category...hell, most of everything I post might belong there. I'm having an "angry" day.

Anyway, the in laws...what a bunch they are/were.

In general, not a SINGLE solitary member of my husband's family have a college education (most of them happen to be democrats, by the way, what a coinky dink). They also ALL live in a very rural part of the south.

This is quite opposite of what I grew up in and with. The majority of my family are professionals with a higher education. In fact, I have an uncle that is a doctor, and I guess that wasn't good enough for my husband, so he said he didn't think he was actually a doctor....he's an anesthesiologist. He's specialized for crying out loud! He's had more of an education than a practioner!

My in laws have been tirelessly RUDE to me and derogatory. They don't use good manners either. Over the years, I have struggled to figure out what I wanted my degree in, and they always looked at me like I was crazy...they always suggested that I be a caterer or an interior decorator. True, I can cook very well, and I do have a talent for putting things together very nicely, but hello? Having earned 65 college credits is something, and unlike them, I know the value of having that degree. They probably do not even know what 65 credits mean.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention this. I will say that I have conducted myself quite nicely in dealing with these hicks. They never got the best of me, and I always kept my cool. I always felt that it was up to my husband to put a muzzle on them when they treated his WIFE the way they did, but he never did. Why would he, when he treated me the same way? My family has enough class to treat the person I have chosen with decency, good manners, and with respect.

The thing that is amazing, and it's the reason I have grown considerably despite all this garbage, is WHY in the world did I ever stay with a man like this and one that comes from people like that when it's not how I was raised? Unreal....

Originally posted by Fedup&givingup

In general, not a SINGLE solitary member of my husband's family have a college education (most of them happen to be democrats, by the way, what a coinky dink).

Oh, that's interesting. I've always noticed that the less educated people were die-hard republicans. Almost all of the people I know who have a least a BA are democrats. Odd.

Anyway, it's good that you'll be getting rid of these extremely unpleasant people from your life!

GeorgiaSongbird

FedUp...

This a little off topic but is your Avatar a picture of Alison Kraus?

tattoomytoe

gosh fed- you sound quite bitter :mad: ...maybe it just came out bad, but that post makes you sound quite snooty.

thank goodness we know better! ;):D

• Author
Fedup&givingup
Originally posted by GeorgiaSongbird

FedUp...

This a little off topic but is your Avatar a picture of Alison Kraus?

YUP :D It's from her album....I used this pic for the label on the CD...VERY good album too, I must say!

• Author
Fedup&givingup
Originally posted by tattoomytoe

gosh fed- you sound quite bitter :mad: ...maybe it just came out bad, but that post makes you sound quite snooty.

thank goodness we know better! ;):D

Yeah, I AM bitter...VERY bitter, and VERY cynical. Thank goodness my mood can change LOL

Seriously, this is how I feel about these low lifes. I didn't list all the s***ty things they've done, so the post came out badly.

Here's a quickie for an example...

It was my mother in law's Christmas get together, and I was always SUPER busy and tired during that time of year, as I cleaned houses. The year prior to the one I'm referring to, she had called me last minute and put me on the spot to bake all these desserts and make candy (like divinity) at the LAST minute. I told her I couldn't do it, because I was really busy, that she should have asked me sooner (and I was nice about it, too). She was a bully anyway. So, the next year which was Christmas 2002, I decided to not even go over there, as I had too much to do for my own Christmas gatherings, etc. It wasn't my place to help her cater her function in the first place. So, when she called, I told her that I wouldn't be able to make it, but I would send my husband over there with some baked goods, etc. She HUNG up on me! I was polite to her on the phone, and apologetic, and click! She hung up on me. That was fine with me, because after that and since then, I haven't bothered to set foot in her house, refuse to, and I don't have to deal with her anymore. That was flat out ignorant and rude on her part, and she's done things like this over and over and over again.

• Author
Fedup&givingup
Originally posted by FreeMe

Oh, that's interesting. I've always noticed that the less educated people were die-hard republicans. Almost all of the people I know who have a least a BA are democrats. Odd.

Anyway, it's good that you'll be getting rid of these extremely unpleasant people from your life!

Well, for me it's been quite the opposite with knowing people's political thought. I've been told that once you take a college economics course, there won't be any doubt you will have a republican mind, but I haven't taken the course yet to know why that is. I will be finding out soon, though.

Originally posted by FreeMe

Well it depends in part on what region of the country you are in. In the Northeast I'd say that by and large the more educated people tend to be Democrats. Although I know at least a few reasonably well-educated people who are Republicans. Actually, having a degree doesn't really have anything at all to do with being well-informed on current events/history/etc. -- and that's what ought to guide one's political views. Anyway, the South has a tradition of Democrats being the favored party, because the Republican party was Lincoln's party, the party of Reconstruction, carpetbaggers, etc. That has changed considerably especially in the last few decades, because generally speaking (only generally speaking) the national Democratic party has tended to have been more socially progressive in the 20th and now 21st centuries (civil rights, Roosevelt's New Deal, etc), and so they represent things that aren't really aligned with the conservative social mores of certain parts of the South. But it hasn't been a universal change in the South.

• Author
Fedup&givingup
Originally posted by midori

Well it depends in part on what region of the country you are in. In the Northeast I'd say that by and large the more educated people tend to be Democrats. Although I know at least a few reasonably well-educated people who are Republicans. Actually, having a degree doesn't really have anything at all to do with being well-informed on current events/history/etc. -- and that's what ought to guide one's political views. Anyway, the South has a tradition of Democrats being the favored party, because the Republican party was Lincoln's party, the party of Reconstruction, carpetbaggers, etc. That has changed considerably especially in the last few decades, because generally speaking (only generally speaking) the national Democratic party has tended to have been more socially progressive in the 20th and now 21st centuries (civil rights, Roosevelt's New Deal, etc), and so they represent things that aren't really aligned with the conservative social mores of certain parts of the South. But it hasn't been a universal change in the South.

You are right, Midori...it's really a geographical thing, and I REGRET saying what I said. It was tasteless, and I apologize for it. It was uncalled for.

My in laws reside in the Florida Panhandle, and that has actually become very pro Bush.

Well, for me it's been quite the opposite with knowing people's political thought. I've been told that once you take a college economics course, there won't be any doubt you will have a republican mind, but I haven't taken the course yet to know why that is. I will be finding out soon, though.

That is very interesting, and something that my flatmate, who is getting her doctorate in economics, and I talk about. My flatmate is British, so American politics are rather bewildering to her. But one thing that is paradoxical about today's Republican party is that it's supposed to represent the interests of both economic and social conservatives. And those are two very different things. In fact, a conservative social agenda (one that, for example, tries to outlaw abortion, put limits on freedom of speech, etc) is often at odds with the goals of of economic conservatives. It's an ingenious pairing, and obviously it's something that I am personally opposed to. But my opposition is less touchy-feely than it is puzzlement, because in the long run I don't think the two can stay in bed together. I don't think it can work over the long run. Maybe I'm missing something.

• Author
Fedup&givingup

Midori, I might be missing something in what you said, but are you inferring that same sided political thinkers aren't "hot" under the covers, or vice versa?

That makes sense! I do remember that from reading Gone with the Wind. Unfortunately, I don't remember anything at all from history class. LOL!

• Author
Fedup&givingup

Well, the south has become more republican since the Reagan years.

Midori, I might be missing something in what you said, but are you inferring that same sided political thinkers aren't "hot" under the covers, or vice versa?

I don't know what you mean by "hot under the covers," but I'll elaborate on my last post:

Economic conservatives -- I'll be painting the picture with large brush-strokes for the sake of space and time, all you libertarians out there can correct where I've glossed too much -- don't care about the things that social conservatives do. Social conservatives are against abortion, against free speech when it comes to smut and other things they view as degenerate. In previous generations social conservatives were against integration, interracial marriage, etc. (I suppose there are still some hold-outs there, but that's probably not the majority view). Social conservatives are against gay marriage. Things like that. Things that a guy like Dick Cheney couldn't care less about by and large. What Dick Cheney and his lot care about are: no environmental regulations that would hinder them making a buck, no trade regulations that would hinder them making a buck, no labor regulations that would ... you get the point. For Dick, the point is the buck.

And there's some sense to that view. If the economy can't be productive, all the nice things that we enjoy will become difficult/impossible. Economic conservatives don't like big government, which takes more money than they're willing to give. They think individual people should be responsible for their own welfare, and that society shouldn't support parasites who produce nothing but cost quite a bit. That attitude isn't very Christian, and it should be at odds with the values of social conservatives.

Economic conservatives want a society that is maximally productive. Some (possibly minority, but they're awfully vocal) social conservatives stand in the way of that by opposing stem cell research, by valuing their interpretation of religious texts over scientific principles like evolution by natural selection. There are a lot of fronts where the two sides don't mesh very well. True social conservatives tend to see the poor not as parasites but as obligations -- that's one of the fundamental principles of Christianity after all, and if you're going to live your life by The Book, you've got to go all the way. You've got to be manning food pantries, and other charities when you're not protesting outside an abortion clinic. Sympathy for the poor is not the hallmark of Big Business.

Neither party is one-dimensional, but perhaps you can see some of the big contradictions in the current alliance between social and economic conservatives.

• Author
Fedup&givingup

Ok, this is great and informative...really, it is...but what about my in laws?!? LOL

Ok, this is great and informative...really, it is...but what about my in laws?!? LOL

Well what more is there to say?

• Author
Fedup&givingup

Well what more is there to say?

Oh, I don't know...I was hoping to commiserate about them, but what's the point LOL

while you're bashing your inlaws for being uneducated (formal education) hick-like democrats from the rural south, did it ever occur to you that a good number of people on these very forums might also fall into your judgmental category? many people who don't have a formal college education, believe it or not, are intelligent and well-mannered. just as many people who have a formal education are stunned when it comes to life and people and they have the manners of a pig at the trough. if you don't like your inlaws, base it on tangible facts as opposed to making offensive generalizations about groups of people you don't even know. i'm sure your inlaws will not miss your snooty judgements. not everyone has a spouse that can support them while they put themself through school.

GeorgiaSongbird

YUP :D It's from her album....I used this pic for the label on the CD...VERY good album too, I must say!

FedUp

Yeah ---

New Favorite .. It was the best albums I've heard in a while. I saw a concert with her and Union Station a few months ago and went and picked it up. It's geat. I've been playing it so much my husband is getting sick of it!

• Author
Fedup&givingup
Originally posted by southerner

while you're bashing your inlaws for being uneducated (formal education) hick-like democrats from the rural south, did it ever occur to you that a good number of people on these very forums might also fall into your judgmental category? many people who don't have a formal college education, believe it or not, are intelligent and well-mannered. just as many people who have a formal education are stunned when it comes to life and people and they have the manners of a pig at the trough. if you don't like your inlaws, base it on tangible facts as opposed to making offensive generalizations about groups of people you don't even know. i'm sure your inlaws will not miss your snooty judgements. not everyone has a spouse that can support them while they put themself through school.

You're obviously a regular here coming on as a "guest" to have known that I had planned staying with my husband while going to school. That has changed. I am LEAVING him.

I can make these statements about these people, because it's the exact kind of people they are. They are VERY rude and lack manners, and they ALL happen to lack any higher education. In fact, there are some in his clan that did not even make it all the way through high school.

I was bashing my in laws, and pointing out another major, defective difference between he and I. I never did anything to those people for them to treat me the way they did over the years, nor did I act as rude and ignnorant in return as they did.

Want all the tangible facts? I've got several.

• Author
Fedup&givingup
Originally posted by spencer

bad breeding and the MIL's a beeotch

Beeotch ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EXactly. She is a manipulator, and a bully.