Our pet dead...wonderful dog was part of the family

longlegzs80

longlegzs80

I did not know where to put this, so I figured it would be okay right here. Anywho, today was a truely bad day. Has anyone felt really close to their pets? WEll, I was close to my dog and it was apart of the family. Was a great little animal with alot of fun personality and now it is barried in the back of my yard.

This morning my mom was pulling down the driveway and as she was about to pull out, she noticed this black lump in the road. She got out and when over just to discover that it was my dog that was hit by a car. My dog apparently got loose sometime last night and she tends to jet across the street and into the neighbors yard etc. WEll, this time she was dead on the road. It was horrible. I can't be any sadder. I know it is just a dog, but that was my friend. Just had to vent and cry alittle. Sorry.

that's very sad LL. it's never JUST a dog, it's a member of the family, it's natural to grieve.

all i can say to comfort you is - at least it was a quick death, most likely.

-yes

• Author
longlegzs80

Yeah, it was a very hard day. I appreciate the both of you caring. Thank you.

I'm so sorry! I was absolutely devastated when my dog died. I had her for 13 years and I still miss her even 9 years after she passed on.

And I agree that it's not just a dog...it's part of the family.

LL - I'm truly sorry to hear about your dog. I know how much a part of your family they become. ((big hug))

:( I'm sorry to hear that. I'm a huge animal lover and they are family. I had to put my dog I had when I was a child down. She knew it was coming. She was in alot of pain, due to old age, etc. I went into the vets and she was shaking already. Got into the exam room, and the first shot was to make her sleep which took about 20 mins, and the second one was to stop her heart. They gave her the first one, and she fell asleep in my arms. I just talked to her, thanking her for all the great years I had with her and how she was by my side even when it felt like everyone else abandoned me.

As she fell asleep the vet came back in, to give the final shot. She shaved her paw a little, and before she put the needle in, my dog awoke, looked at the vet then turned her head and stared into my eyes for about 10-15 seconds. She then put her head down on my arm and closed her eyes. I think it was her way of saying 'Ok, its time to go'. It happened so fast and so peaceful. I was so glad I was with her those final minutes.

I also ran into my best friends house which was on fire a couple of years ago. He had a rottie that he adored. Crawling back into his bedroom (which kitchen was engulfed), I found him curled up in a ball. I was able to carry him out and gave him CPR. I kept doing that until the paramedics came, but he didn't make it. That was a very hard night for me, I had nightmares for about a week afterwards.

Animals truly give unconditional love. They are just happy to be alive and have someone love them. I wish humans would learn from them.

I am very sorry for your loss. It is always really hard to lose a pet, especially the way yours was lost. I don't know if you're spiritual at all, but I believe that pets go to a better place like humans. Your doggie is at peace.

longlegz - just saw this - i'm so sorry. take care -

krbshappy71

VERY sorry for your loss! I grew up with a German Shepard that was (this will sound weird) like a brother to me. Every night I knew he was there, protecting the house. Every other weekend we went camping with him, took him everywhere with us. He would let us lay our head on him while watching tv, rough-house with us but never hurt us, let us cry in his fur if we needed to. He was such a good dog, I cried so much when he was put to sleep at the age of 12. (cancer) The house was suddenly empty, I felt VERY vulnerable without him to protect us..about a year later our family decided we were ready for another dog, it was a tough decision to put our hearts out there again. Give yourself plenty of time to grieve, remember, and don't forget to talk about the good times with her, even though at first it is hard.

Have you read the Rainbow Bridge poem?

There is no such thing as just a dog, or just a cat, just an animal. They are loving creatures with hearts and souls. I'm sorry you've lost your friend. Remember that he had a happy life (I hope) with you and he's in a better place now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a German Shepherd and out of all the animals I have ever had, a shepherd will form a bond with their owner SO tight that I could see them dying of a broken heart if their owner has passed on.

I've been through alot in my life and even on my worst days, she'll give me total unconditional love. She has also proven herself in protection as well when needed. These dogs 'live' for their owners. I know the day that my shepherd dies, is the day that a good part of me dies as well. I do consider her my best friend and even wanted her in the wedding.. But the fiancee didn't like that idea.

Oh well..

I'm really sorry to hear about your dog longlegzs80.

I've got two myself, and they mean so very much to me.

Hope you feel better soon.

Take care,

WA

bluechocolate

I'm sorry to hear about your loss - I know that when my little mutt dies I will be very sad indeed. There is little to compare with the unconditional love and devotion that a dog has for his/her family pack.

My mother grew up on a farm and as a family we always had pets of all sorts. And of course all of those pets have died at one time or another. It is rare indeed to be outlived by a pet (unless of course it's a parrot or tortoise :) ) Anyway, for me the best therapy has always been to get another as soon as possilble. This doesn't mean you've forgotten your old departed buddy. There are millions of unwanted dogs in shelters. Would it not be a fitting tribute to your lost friend to offer an unwanted dog the love and protections that was given to him in his lifetime?