Family event and dealing with drama

setsenia

So, my husband's cousin is getting married this summer and we were invited to their wedding. My H's parents, who disowned him over something stupid in November will also be there. Well, I thought they disowned him. His mother has been sending him her health updates with a few other relatives. She also still sent a xmas gift to him. We're really not sure what to think. If she's trying to reach out to him, it's with minimal effort. Not sure if she's doing it out of obligation or what. I mean, her and his stepfather basically tell us to "have a nice life" and then still send him health updates and Christmas presents. (By mail, mind you). If we go to the wedding, I'm assuming they will at least be civil. (They do care about appearances). My husband still thinks we should go, even though he's really not close with a lot of those relatives because he hasn't seen them in years. But he said it would be nice to see other relatives and that he's not going to see his parents. I'm not sure how to feel. I'd like him to see his family since it's mostly my family we see. (His bio dad passed away when he was young and a lot of his family lives out of state). I am just not sure how his parents will react to seeing us at this wedding and if it will be awkward or not. Looking for some advice.

you say they'll most likely be civil ~ run with that. If your husband is open to the idea of going because he gets to visit with long-time, no-see family, then be supportive of that. His parents aren't the main issue, hubby's getting to be with other relatives is, you know?

it's only a big hairy deal if you make it into a big, hairy deal … just follow your hubby's lead in this case.

if you want to have a bit of fun with this, just kill them with kindness when you have to deal with them. Be nice, be polite, be civil. You look good and they're forced to be nice, polite, civil, too, or run the risk of showing their rear, as we say down here. It's a win-win situation, if you think about it!

• Like 1