Not the same mom I grew up with.

neveragain2493

neveragain2493

This is really recent for me, and I'm not sure how to take it..

I'm seventeen. My parents have been divorced since I was a baby, and my mom has kept me as her first priority since then. My dad didn't come back into my life with any contact until I turned sixteen, and mom's always more than happy to remind me.

However, my mom has gotten a Facebook. Since then, whenever I'm home, it's all she ever does (on my laptop). She's received contact from an old high school classmate, and she brings him up all the time. Whenever she talks to me anymore, it's about him or Facebook, and it sort of annoys me.

Basically, she comes home from work and stays on my laptop. She used to be extreme about house work, but now, I find myself doing a ton of it because she's always on Facebook, and I don't want to live in a dirty house. However, when she gets home and I haven't done anything, she jumps all over me about it.

I was even more upset when I didn't know the whole story. I went on her account out of curiosity, and their messages are very sexually detailed. It freaks me out because I've never known my mom like that. I signed off immediately without even reading them.

I can't really see her the same. :\ Maybe I'm just being selfish because it's not 'all about me' anymore. I have a boyfriend of 7 months and always find myself with him because I don't want to be home. I'm starting to take more and more care of myself because I'll be an adult soon, and my mom told me tonight that I needed to stop thinking I was grown.

Anyone want to shed light on the situation?

Ok, few things there...

Your mom devoted her life to taking care of you, and recently discovered that she can have a life of her own, and that she is in fact a sexual being. It sounds like this guy is really cranking her motor and she's kind of "re-awakening". This is jarring to you because you weren't really prepared for it. You always saw your mom as just "Mom" - she does the housework, she feeds me, she loves me. Mom's got a guy friend now and she's not being as attentive to you. There's nothing wrong with feeling this way. That's what you're used to and this is all very strange.

As far as your mom being on your laptop all the time - how about getting her her own laptop (even those little netbooks that cost $200) as a gift so she can use it to her hearts content and you can have your laptop back. It will also help you avoid seeing any messages you don't really want to see.

As far as mom making the comment that you aren't an adult yet. True, in the technical sense, but you are very close to it and DO need to learn how to take care of yourself. She is probably not ready to accept you being an adult because she's not used to it.

It sounds like you both are going through a growth spurt ;) That's why they call them growing pains.

Chrome Barracuda

Get her, her own laptop.

secondly defriend her from facebook.

simple as that. Your mom has a life she aint the virgin mary.

This is really recent for me, and I'm not sure how to take it..

I'm seventeen. My parents have been divorced since I was a baby, and my mom has kept me as her first priority since then. My dad didn't come back into my life with any contact until I turned sixteen, and mom's always more than happy to remind me.

However, my mom has gotten a Facebook. Since then, whenever I'm home, it's all she ever does (on my laptop). She's received contact from an old high school classmate, and she brings him up all the time. Whenever she talks to me anymore, it's about him or Facebook, and it sort of annoys me.

Basically, she comes home from work and stays on my laptop. She used to be extreme about house work, but now, I find myself doing a ton of it because she's always on Facebook, and I don't want to live in a dirty house. However, when she gets home and I haven't done anything, she jumps all over me about it.

I was even more upset when I didn't know the whole story. I went on her account out of curiosity, and their messages are very sexually detailed. It freaks me out because I've never known my mom like that. I signed off immediately without even reading them.

I can't really see her the same. :\ Maybe I'm just being selfish because it's not 'all about me' anymore. I have a boyfriend of 7 months and always find myself with him because I don't want to be home. I'm starting to take more and more care of myself because I'll be an adult soon, and my mom told me tonight that I needed to stop thinking I was grown.

Anyone want to shed light on the situation?

She might be an online addict. I used to think it was b.s., but I think it's a real problem for some people.