Comforting family through a death -- what to say?

Sevenscars

A friend of mine just recently lost his brother, way too young. I'll be seeing him and his family at the funeral. What can I say to them to ease their pain, even just a little? What can I tell them to help them realize that their son and brother touched many lives, including my own? And how can I do it without getting all wishy-washy?

melodymatters

As someone who losy my husband less than a year ago, I can tell you that nobody expects you to say anything that is going to make the situation better. They appreciate you attending and showing support, and the best thing of all is to talk about the person, share stories about him.

it's not like you are going to hurt them, they haven't forgotten their loved one is dead, but they are hungry to hear anything about them.

The thing with death is there will be no more new stories or pictures or adventures, so those in the past are PRECIOUS.

4 of my husbands freinds that I had never met drove about 8 hrs to be at the funeral. I was so touched by their presence and loved hearing stories about him back when he was a kid. We then stayed in touch via social networking sites.

Tell them they can call you anytime to talk about him. ( only if you mean it) Tell them how sorry you are and share any pictures, stories or memento's.

Just let them know your sorry about what happened and you will pray for them.Tell them how good of a guy he was and if they need anything to please ask.Its nice to hesr others cared to and showed their respect.Time is the only thing that heals stories later keep them alive.